AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new Hitachi XWX 65" tv, and I'm wondering which picture mode I should use for DVD's. This set has four picture modes that I have calibrated to look pretty much the same. The only difference is that "Movie" mode processes 3:2 pulldown. I have the Denon DVD 1600 progressive scan player. I did my Video Essentials calibration on Movie mode and I have been watching DVD's in that mode. I thought using a progressive scan DVD player would override the 3:2 pulldown on the movie mode, but I've heard otherwise. Would it introduce more artifacts to stay in "Movie" mode with DVD's on this TV? If so, then I'll swith to one of the non-3:2 processing modes.

I'd really appreciate any help with this.

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
972 Posts
It shouldn't, but if it bothers you just watch it in another mode. You have no use for movie mode w/prog dvd player and all the modes should be the same except for the 3/2 pulldown if you have them set the same.

Hey everyone, isn't this correct that the only difference in the various modes is how they are set (with the user menu only) from the factory? They aren't set differently in the service menu are they?

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
I have the Hitachi 43fwx20B and Movie mode is the only mode that has the 3:2 pulldown feature. I have a progressive scan DVD player as well and at least for me, I do notice a difference in quality in Movie mode (it's better).

·
Registered
972 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bonscott87
I have the Hitachi 43fwx20B and Movie mode is the only mode that has the 3:2 pulldown feature. I have a progressive scan DVD player as well and at least for me, I do notice a difference in quality in Movie mode (it's better).
Well, theoretically you shouldn't. Are you outputting progressive or interlaced on your player? Outputting progressive should not activate the 3:2 circuitry in your Hitachi, and if it did it wouldn't have anything to do. Maybe your other settings are different b/w movie and other modes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.