AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to make a buying decision (at least, not to buy one of these) in next 16 hours, hoping for a little advice! Hope the background isn't overkill, but might explain why I'm looking for apples/oranges comments.

Due to local deals, I can get the Pio5040 for about $500 less than the Panny7uY and $2K less than Hitachi, so first question is what would I get for $500 or $2K more that isn't obvious?

The obvious (I think): Pio has separate media box which some hate others love, and Panny is known (not without debate) for better black/detail and natural colors while Pio has more vibrant color. And I know the Hitachi is a 55" while other two are 50". Of course I can compare all the specs myself, but it's the qualitative experience of this group I'd really value. Specs schmecs.

This is for my home theater which will nice and dark with seating about 11-13 feet away from screen (Berks on the way!). All audio is going through surround receiver and all video is or will come from separate box so I could care less about speakers or tuners in the monitor itself.

I want to invest for the future when HDTivo's come down to earth, but meanwhile content will be through component from vanilla progressive scan DVD and SVid from DirecTivo. So the problems reported w/ Panny7uY a few months ago is a bit of a concern (any resolution on that?). I'm certainly not expecting awesome PQ from the Tivo, but can't spend several $K and get crap. I'll cry.

The Pioneer 5040 is a dealer closeout deal that expires Sunday afternoon. It's local, so I save $150-200 on shipping. It's 4th generation and the others I'm considering are newer, of course. Which makes the apples-to-oranges w/ Panny 7UY tough to find.

Hitachi 55"... am I going to love the immersion once I have HD but regret artifacts at 11' distance and SVid content? Anyone have subjective views on whether 5" is worth $1500? How does Hitachi compare to Pio and Panny PQ? At least I'm not paying for tuners and speakers...

OK (breathing now)... thoughts?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.