AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new Samsung H5000 or the Samusng F5500? I don't care about smart tv features just picture quality. I am a current led owner the UN55C8000 led tv which I would think would be near the top of the line when it comes to led performance unless led tech has changed a lot in the past 2 years. Trying to determine which I should buy or if it is really worth spending more for the 8500. I am speaking of the 64 inch sizes.

·
Registered
629 Posts
In 12 - 18 months, or less, you probably will not be able to buy a decent plasma television.

So, think about what you want to snag now, that you will be happy to live with, for as many years as it takes for OLED to get to the right combination of size, price, quality (e.g. rumored blue phosphor issues), initial weird marketing stuff taken out (e.g. curved screen), etc.

As for me, I went with the F8500. I just hope it holds up and works for the 5 or 6 years that I expect it to take before decent televisions are available again (if ever, I really do fear that an industry-wide race-to-the-bottom is taking shape, and OLED will flame out, which will leave us with nothing at all that we want to buy).

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
The F5500 (non-60 inch one of course) will lose in every category except for the resolution. The H5000's only achilles hill is its pentile array. If you think you have good enough viewing distance, then go for the H5000. If not, go with the F5500 instead, but it will have fewer calibration options even compared to the F5300. So think carefully if you think 3D is worth it.

Of course, almost none of us has actually seen the H5000. I'd like to at least take a look at it.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowspawn  /t/1522745/which-plasma-is-better-picture-wise#post_24488353

In 12 - 18 months, or less, you probably will not be able to buy a decent plasma television.

So, think about what you want to snag now, that you will be happy to live with, for as many years as it takes for OLED to get to the right combination of size, price, quality (e.g. rumored blue phosphor issues), initial weird marketing stuff taken out (e.g. curved screen), etc.

As for me, I went with the F8500. I just hope it holds up and works for the 5 or 6 years that I expect it to take before decent televisions are available again (if ever, I really do fear that an industry-wide race-to-the-bottom is taking shape, and OLED will flame out, which will leave us with nothing at all that we want to buy).

Thats truly a horrid thought. Buy to downgrade rather than buy to upgrade. Especially with those that are so happy with 70" plus, edge lit LED's.

I never knew how awful edge lit was until I saw Plasma.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahamm2  /t/1522745/which-plasma-is-better-picture-wise#post_24489731

I don't quite understand this pentile information but 7-10 feet away is that a wash anyways?

I just saw a 60 inch F5300 (a pentile display) today in Futureshop. Upon closer inspection, I did see a honeycomb pattern with alternating reds and blues. I thought I hated them the first few times I've seen them, but after spending some time with it today, I think I can deal with it. 3 feets of viewing distance and it's very respectable, 5 feets and I had no complaints. So, yes, 7 to 10 is going make it a wash. They were playing some movies and some Titanfall commercials and even Titanfall looked great as long as I did not see it near field. Texts suffered a bit of geometry distortion, but contents are not really affected much.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
I would absolutely say the f8500 is worth the extra money. it is, without question, the best tv on the market until OLED(which is technically already available, but pretty darn pricey, and a little odd with the curved screens)

I've made the mistake of underbuying before, and it's a lot better to spend 3grand and be happy for the next 5yrs than you spend 2grand and want to buy a new tv right away.

Reactions: gus738

·
Registered
3,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahamm2  /t/1522745/which-plasma-is-better-picture-wise#post_24491316

Can anyone direct me to a non professional review of the H5000?
I don't think anyone has this TV yet to even review it. It literally just came out.

As other have said the F8500 would be your best TV to buy right now but it will run about $1,000 more then the H5000 and that is a large sum of money. So it really comes down to if you want the best or do you just want something big that will look okay.

If you really are interested in the F8500, take a look in the deals section for the thread I posted about the F8500 sale. It is the cheapest you can get this TV right now so if you are going to buy it, you need to buy it now!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts