AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the market for a plasma television for my basement. Looking for 55"-60" and it does not need to be a smart or 3d capable tv. Mostly used for TV and movies. There may be the odd game played on it. I had decided on the Pan S60 but never did pull the trigger. Then saw the Samsung 60f5500 and 60f5300. From what I've gathered they are the same tv but the 5300 just doesn't have the 3D and smart features. The 60f5300 is on sale right now for $798 which is what I'm leaning towards. Are there any other tvs I should be considering?

Thanks,

Travis

·
Registered
1,208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxonator  /t/1523178/which-plasma-to-buy-1000-max-canada#post_24499779

In the market for a plasma television for my basement. Looking for 55"-60" and it does not need to be a smart or 3d capable tv. Mostly used for TV and movies. There may be the odd game played on it. I had decided on the Pan S60 but never did pull the trigger. Then saw the Samsung 60f5500 and 60f5300. From what I've gathered they are the same tv but the 5300 just doesn't have the 3D and smart features. The 60f5300 is on sale right now for $798 which is what I'm leaning towards. Are there any other tvs I should be considering?

Thanks,

Travis

Yes, skip the 60 inch ones if possible. They're using pentile and unlike the H5000, you actually have a choice here. The 51 inches and the 64 inch ones don't use pentile, so I would steer towards them unless the 60 inch one is being sold at a much more bargain price.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
is this a short term purchase?

it's just not a great time to be buying a 'value' priced plasma. the s60 or st60 was definitely a sweet deal, and possible the best value in a tv in the past 5yrs. unfortunately, now the market is really drying up, and you're left choosing between flagship f8500's, or 'made as cheap as we can because we have no more serious competition' h5000's

still, grab one quick, cause it'll be twice as bad when there's no more plasma's left

hunt for an s60 or s64(this might be the one time being in Canada helps, as there tends to be more 'stock' sitting around), make sure you can't find one before you buy something else.

if nothing is out there consider an f8500 or vt60(again if you can find one). if there's no way you can swing those prices, try for a 64" 5300 or 5500. again, it might be slightly out of your price range, but consider that you may be using this tv for 5+ yrs as you wait for OLED to mature. it's not like 3yrs from now there's going to be a better plasma for less money available, unfortunately. so buy as good as you can afford now, and enjoy it as long as you can.

only you can really decide how picky you are though. if you've seen the 60" 5300's and really like them, and you are buying from a reputable shop with a good return/exchange policy, that does seem like a 'too good to be true' price for a 60" tv. I've never seen(that I know of) a pentile display, so I'm really not sure under what conditions it'll show

if you're lucky:
http://www.visions.ca/Catalogue/Category/Details.aspx?categoryId=524&productId=21161&sku=TCP55S60

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The visions near me has the 50" s60 and they did have a 50"ST60 last time I was there. There was one demo 55" s60 but no idea how long it's been running for on their wall. They offered it to me for $950. The f5300 is on sale right now and I thought it seemed like a decent price for what you got.

I should add I'm not looking to spend big money on the tv. We just bought the house and I'm currently using a 5-6 year old lcd which. I know I probably should get the st60 but I just can't spend that kind of money on a tv.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
maybe bring some of the break in slides on a usb and check the demo s60 for IR. if there's none there, i don't think there's any other reason to worry.

st60 might be the best 'long term' buy, i was quite impressed with it when i was shopping.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts