AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am a little new to buying tv's, I want to get a Plasma, I am aware of burn in's, but I dont want to spend more then $1000

If you could buy one right now, what would it be?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oops, ideally 50"

I also don't care about sound, just quality - i'll be eventually buying a 5.1 sound system

I would spend more for something a lil bit smaller like 46"'s that is better in picture and quality

also I dont really care about smarttv function - i'll probably be hooking up my own HDTV and i dont care about 3d either

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te  /t/1471427/which-plasma-to-get#post_23281753

I think the S60/S64 or possibly an 50" ST60 may fit your budget and will probably be the best bang for the buck this year.

is the one i replied back to the one your talking about? I dont understand what you mean by s64

·
Registered
20,912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbdavidx  /t/1471427/which-plasma-to-get#post_23281759

thats exactly what i was thinking

Take a look at the owners thread. The Panasonics this year are perforaming very well and people seem to be quite happy with them.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Extended warranties are a ripoff. If you can, make the purchase using a credit card that extends warranties by one year. If the TV goes two years without a problem, then odds are that it will lasts many more without a problem. You're not going to have permanent burn-in, so don't worry about it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
True i have an amex that will do that, but what does it cover? the manufacturer warranty + 1 year?

I think 2 years is a good amount, hopefully it will last 3 and by then we can afford OLED tv's

·
Registered
20,912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalMan  /t/1471427/which-plasma-to-get#post_23281992

Extended warranties are a ripoff. If you can, make the purchase using a credit card that extends warranties by one year. If the TV goes two years without a problem, then odds are that it will lasts many more without a problem. You're not going to have permanent burn-in, so don't worry about it.

I wouldnt say that to anyone unless you can show concrete proof of this. While greatly reduced, I am sure someone could create burn-in if they wanted to or were careless. Long term\hard to remove IR is probably a better term for it, but in any case I would not say Burin-in is not going to happen. If it does are you willing to buy the people replacement TVs that listen to your advice?

As far as extended warranties go, much like insureance its in case ish happens. Some people will neer use them, but those who do ahve them and put them to use are glad they had them. If you usually upgrade your TV every few years then it may be less important to you, but if you keep your TV for longer periods of time before upgrading it may be worth the extra cost for peace of mind.

ST coverage does not cover burn in BTW....but is one of the better warranties out there and you can get one for ~105 from costco if you are not a member and 99$ if you are.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te  /t/1471427/which-plasma-to-get#post_23282088

I wouldnt say that to anyone unless you can show concrete proof of this. While greatly reduced, I am sure someone could create burn-in if they wanted to or were careless.

Oh, I'm sorry. I guess I should have said that he won't have permanent burn-in unless he intentionally tries to create it or somehow accidentally leaves a static image displayed on his screen while he goes on vacation for three weeks. I'm glad you cleared that up.

·
Registered
20,912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalMan  /t/1471427/which-plasma-to-get#post_23282119

Oh, I'm sorry. I guess I should have said that he won't have permanent burn-in unless he intentionally tries to create it or somehow accidentally leaves a static image displayed on his screen while he goes on vacation for three weeks. I'm glad you cleared that up.

You never know how someone will take advice, by saying youll "never" get burn in, who knows what they will do with the set. You would hope that they dont leave static images up for hours on end or intentially tries to create burn in, but I dont put anything past anyone these days. This is why I added the caveat of Long-Term\hard to remove IR to my post (which you removed formt eh quote) as this would be the most likely scenario if something were to occur.

·
Registered
20,912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbdavidx  /t/1471427/which-plasma-to-get#post_23282147

Thanks for the replys, what does the costco warranty cover? I think the only one that i've read the covers burn in's was best buy

YOud have to check out the PDF on thier site it has a list of things covered its a "normal" SquareTrade warranty. Costco has a good return policy if you are a member however (from what I ahve heard at least). I would be overly worried about Burn-in though. As long as you dont "abuse" the set the worst thing you may see is hard to remove IR, I dont talk in absolutes when it comes to things like this, as anomolies occur all of the time. Focusing on Burn-in is not something I would do though as it most likely will be a non issue for you.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalMan  /t/1471427/which-plasma-to-get#post_23282119

IR that lasts for weeks or even months is just as bad as burn in. Sure, it might not be technically burnt in but who wants an image stuck on there screen for months. If that was the case I would have the BB warranty swap it out. What are they going to tell you, run a pixel flipper for 6 months before we come back again.

Until there is a way to prove what is actually burnt in, an image that is there for a long time is just as good as burn in. It is not like it tells you how long it will be there for. One never knows when and if it will actually go away.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te  /t/1471427/which-plasma-to-get#post_23282088

I wouldnt say that to anyone unless you can show concrete proof of this. While greatly reduced, I am sure someone could create burn-in if they wanted to or were careless. Long term\hard to remove IR is probably a better term for it, but in any case I would not say Burin-in is not going to happen. If it does are you willing to buy the people replacement TVs that listen to your advice?

As far as extended warranties go, much like insureance its in case ish happens. Some people will neer use them, but those who do ahve them and put them to use are glad they had them. If you usually upgrade your TV every few years then it may be less important to you, but if you keep your TV for longer periods of time before upgrading it may be worth the extra cost for peace of mind.

ST coverage does not cover burn in BTW....but is one of the better warranties out there and you can get one for ~105 from costco if you are not a member and 99$ if you are.

the way I see it, is selling extended warranties is a business, and the more you buy, the more likely they will profit from you, period. it's almost like gambling, the odds will always favour 'the house' so the more you play the more you lose. in the long run you will spend more money than you save. if you can deal with those sudden large expenses, then avoid the many smaller expenses. or heck, if you want, open another bank account and dump the cost of extended warranty into it(maybe even try to get a high interest savings account, or GIC?) and chances are by the time you need warranty on the first product you bought that fails, you'll have paid for 3 or 4, or 10 extended warranties and have more than enough sitting in the bank account to cover replacement.

i'm not saying ppl are dumb for getting extended warranties. but I do think it's wrong to suggest that they are a good idea for everybody, and it's better to 'play it safe'. if you think there's a legitimate chance you'll need the warranty, then buy the warranty. I might be tainted from personal experience, but I don't feel any more 'covered' when I have an extended warranty. seems there's always some loophole. I have never personally had a successful claim using an extended warranty. most of the time the product doesn't need one, one time the company went bankrupt before the warranty expired, the other had fine print that basically said they didn't cover anything that breaks do to 'use', like some defective part was going to fail after the manufactures warranty. imo, if it ain't broke after a year, it's not defective and will last as long as you take care of. unless you're getting like a 10+year warranty, the electronics should wear out that quickly.

to the original question. st60 looks like the bargain of the year again. s60/s64 are pretty darn close though, and depending on budget and needs might be the way to go.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.