AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys im stuck. I recently went to a show room and saw the Panny 42 ed and hd besides each other along with the Pioneer elite pro800hd 43 inch tv. I must say that the hd coming out of the Elite was the best. What woudl you guys consider the best Plasma in terms of pq quality for hd and dvd viewing! The Pannys or Pioneer Elite!

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
HD pictures look stunning on the Pio. It almost feels like 3D. Amazing color and sharpness. Black is not as good as the Panny. Instead of buying the Pio pro800 buy the Pio 433CMX instead and you will save thousands. They are the same unit except the 433 does not include tuner and does not have the fancy bezel of the pro800. You can buy 5002 video card or the new card from Aurora multimedia which include a DVI/HDCP input and you have an up-to-date HD Plasma except for a tuner. In the end though, buy what looks good to you.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wait which tv has a tuner and on the pioneer pro800 does it have a tuner and are the pq of the 433cms compare to the pro800. can i add a video card to the pro800 and i heard the video card is not hdcp. what is a card how do i install it and how much does it cost. with the pro800hd if it has a tuner does this mean i dont have to buy a sattelite receiver. does it have a direct tv tuner then where does the access card go!

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my question is when you mean tuner does that mean a direct tv tuner! does a acess card go on the tv. also can i buy the dvi card for the pro800

·
Registered
463 Posts
AFAIK, the Pro series does not have high definition tuners. If your intention is to subscribe to DirectTV so as to get HDnet, and also Over The Air (free) HDTV, the best solution is to get the Sony HD200 receiver which can receive and decode both DirectTV and OTA HDTV. In that case, do NOT get the Pioneer 5002 card because it's DVI input is for computer use only. Instead, purchase the Aurora card since it has a DVI input that can receive the proper signal.

Wait until Dell has their 15% off sale with free shipping and no tax. That's what I did.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wait so if i add a dvi card to the pro800hd series then i will be protected agaisnt copyright issued in the future if they raise the brodcast flags! so does this mean its hdcp as well! how much does the cvard cost and how does one install it ! So i basically buy the 800 series and buy a direct tv satellite receiver with dvi and buy the card and this will mean im protected agaisnt any downresolution that may happen in the future with brodcast flags! Also I feel that this brodcast flags I beelive will never happen but thats me . perhaps they will make a dvi /component converter for all hd tvs thats what they should do!

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
This card has DVI/HDCP so you are covered in that department. Again buy the 433CMX from Dell , sometimes they have a 15% with free shipping. Get the card form this site for a good price.
http://www.plasmaextreme.us/a303.htm

The card is easy to install. Just insert in the slot and tighten the screws

and you are done.

More info about this card here: http://www.auroramultimedia.com/_pro...303/index.html

Also check out this thread for more info:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=226895

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
can you add the card to the pro800 and if i add the card what dvd player would you suggest the bravo or the samsung coming out!

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
can you add the card to the pro800 and if i add the card what dvd player would you suggest the bravo or the samsung coming out! Also can you add this card to the panasonics plasmas!

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
You can change the card on the pro800 if that is what you wish. I don't have a first hand knowledge of the Bravo D1 except what I read here in the forum and the excellent review of the D1 in the recent issue of S&V mag.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Eddy13:

You keep reffering tot he pro800, I dont know if you understood eskendir, but the 433cmx is identical tot he pro800. The 433cmx is the industrial version of the plasma and not for consumer use, however like said earlier, it is 100% identical except for the urushi black frame (I tink I spelled that right?).

-Chris

·
Registered
463 Posts
Eddy, why do your posts always come out in doubles?

The Aurora cards (as wells as the Key Digital card) are only for the Pioneer 433/503cmx/Pro800/1000elites. The Pio MUST be used with either the Pio 5002 card (which is not DVI HDCP compliant) or the Aurora/KeyDigital cards if you want to use the monitor for other than a computer monitor. AFAIK the HD copy protection standard is HDCP with DVI. So if you get the Aurora card you're future compatible IF the powers that be stick to the standard. You should be aware that there is NO guarantee that HDCP is going to the THE standard. They can always change their mind. But if you want a plasma NOW, then HDCP compatibility is a good choice.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok guys ive seen reviews online which it states the panny is the best plasma out there. When i went to a show room i thought the Pionner blew the panny out of the water in terms of pq with hd sources. If im goign to be seeign alot of hd and dvd is the pioneer better than the Panasonics and does the panasonic have a card for dvi hdcp!

·
Registered
813 Posts
I personally prefer the pioneer 100:1 over the panny in every aspect except one major flaw for me. The blacks are what made me send mine back. Like I stated however, there are many on here 100% content with the blacks, and I am even thinking of dealing with them and pickin a 503cmx up because its such a good darn price.

Points on why I liked the pio much more then panny:

1. I think I seen more detail

2. A much more 3d/vivid picture

3. An expansion slot with 3rd party support

4. 43" opposed to 42"

5. I think it had a sleeker frame, no button clutter or writing, just a sleek pioneer on the bottom.

Panny Points:

Blacks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Chris

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
question are the blacks so bad on the pioneer to warrant buying the panny over the pioneer. At the end of the day after watching a movie would you think you would be more satisfied with the pq or pioneer or panny!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Very tough call that only you can really decide. I had the 433cmx for about 3 weeks before I returned it. However I really didnt give it a 100% full test since I had short time. I returned it with full plans tog et the panny. However I like the pio pic so much I wanted to wait and see if they came out with a new model so I could jump on it. Its really not THAT bad, infact the only time it bugged me was in scenes that were pretty much all dark, and that was mainly because I thought the picture became muddy. It became very bearable after I hooked it up to my htpc and ran theatre tek dvd player through the dvi port. There was a pretty damn good picture, nothing I seen could have been any better, exept the blacks, though I think they may have been very acceptable, I just wanted more.

I am actually thinking of getting the pio 503cmx now that the price is so good, and once the dust settles on the lcd's pic one up and move the pio to the bedroom or something.

Go take a peak at them, I think you will be very satisfied, a few on here I can think of mattg, jakeE, and numerous others (drawing blank) are 100% satisfied.

THey should be chiming in shortly =).

-Chris

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Maybe my imagination but as the 433 moved into about 250 hours of use the pq seemed to get better and the blacks got richer. I realize I just may be getting used to it but I don't see anymore of that green smearing I originally saw in dark scenes.Just sat through season 2 of the sopranos and the pq was amazingly 3d with natural deep blacks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.