AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Looking for a little help on a wall to wall "cabinet" I'm building. Speakers and subwoofer will be behind this wall unit. I will need to build small platforms for the speakers and sub to get them above the floor trim height on the wall unit. I will limit the trim to only two inches because I know that I shouldn't raise the speakers too much. I am also building a stage in front of the screen. It is decorative only, no equipment will sit on it. I plan on putting sand in the subwoofer platform. Should I also put it in the speaker platform? stage platform?

Thanks for the help. Bill

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
If I'm understanding you correctly, and you're planning on putting the subwoofer platform on the stage, then yes, I would put it in the stage as well. Not as important with the speaker platform, but if I were doing the stage and subwoofer, I'd probably just do all of them.

If your stage is completely independent of the subwoofer and speaker platforms, then you have to decide if you'll ever put speakers or a sub on the stage. If not, then just some insulation will probably be adequate. Otherwise, now is the time to fill it.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miltimj
If I'm understanding you correctly, and you're planning on putting the subwoofer platform on the stage, then yes, I would put it in the stage as well. Not as important with the speaker platform, but if I were doing the stage and subwoofer, I'd probably just do all of them.

If your stage is completely independent of the subwoofer and speaker platforms, then you have to decide if you'll ever put speakers or a sub on the stage. If not, then just some insulation will probably be adequate. Otherwise, now is the time to fill it.
I'm learning from this too.... Do you mean if the subwoofer is on the carpet just above the concrete floor, the stage can be filled with insulation and that is enough. The LR and C Ascend 340 speakers will be on the stage (sub on the concrete).

Basically, is the sub on the stage the only reason to use sand?

gary

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Having three 340s on the stage seems like it would be enough to make the stage be a resonanting unit. I'd fill the stage in that case, and maybe try having the sub on it as well then, to maybe save the work of a separate platform for it, unless you know for sure that you want it in a different location for some reason.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.