AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I needed another DVD player in addition to my few year old Pioneer DV-444. I read quite a few reviews and settled on the Panasonic DVD-F61A from Costco (thinking I can return it easier). It has DVD Audio and no Chroma Bug and the progress scan is better than my Pioneer. But I have to return it because it simply can't match my Pioneer in playing scratched DVDs and VCDs. So my question to all is this:

Which player can play the dirtiest DVDs and VCDs and have Progressive Scan, DVD Audio, MP3, WMA and is a 5 disc changer? I can forgo the changer.

All the reviews I read are about the quality of the picture but I think being able to play scratched DVDs is just as important.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Yeah Panasonics are one of the worst from my limited testing with error correction. Pioneer is good, also JVC based on what I've tried. Philips is another poor one with bad discs.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kin_ng5

Which player can play the dirtiest DVDs and VCDs and have Progressive Scan, DVD Audio, MP3, WMA and is a 5 disc changer?
My sony can play XXX DVD's very well. :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"My sony can play XXX DVD's very well."

I know. But can it play dirty XXX DVDs? You know, sometimes they can get really dirty.

I have avoided Sony like plaque as they didn't even play CD-R a while back.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Sonys didn't play CD-R for awhile because they did not have dual laser pickups (one for DVD and one for CD). This has nothing to do with how well the would or would not play a damaged/dirty DVD.

Oddly, Sony has oscillated between quality and cheap junk a few times. Their first machines (7000 and 3000) had dual pickups, no CUE, the best 4:3 downconversion anywhere, etc. Then the next two or three generations were junk (bad CUE, no CD-R support, sound sync issues, etc.). Now they seem to be getting good again.

-Lyle J.P.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.