AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am trying to decide whether to get the Sony RDR-GX7 recorder or a dvd player and wait for the Sony to get cheaper. I currently have an old dvd player. The main thing I don't like about the Sony recorder or their players is that there is no picture zoom. Plus I would hate to be overusing the recorder by using it as a player.

I have only looked at player models a few times, so i really don't know what I should get. I have heard Panasonic has good players, but that their recorders are not good players.

I would prefer getting a player with 12 bit/108 MHz DAC if that matters much in PQ.

I don't want to spend much at all. And of course I would want progressive scan, even though I do not have a digital tv yet.

If I get the recorder, i would be paying $548 from an authorized dealer. Should I still just get the player for now and hope the price could get even lower on the recorder soon? I really want the recorder now, but I don't "need" to get it now.

Or i could get a cheaper recorder and the player also. However, I always hear the RDR-GX7 has superior PQ. So does that apply to its recording also? If I were to record something on a less expensive recorder, but play it ona good player, would it still be worse than if I played it on the Sony recorder?

I love Sony, so I hate to buy things that are not Sony.

As far as the players, I think I would only consider Panasonic and Toshiba. Possibly something else, but I doubt it. Also, is zooming the same on all players? Or are some players better for zooming?

Sorry, I know this is all disorganized. Just shows how confused I am about what to do and the fact that I am impatient with getting nothing for so long.

Pretty much I just want to know what dvd players for under $150 would have great picture and sound and have zooming. Also, I would rather geta thin one. I may not be able to fit things on my stand properly without getting a thin player like the Panasonic I saw.

I could just buy the recorder and just forget about the whole zoom issue until I can afford to spend more money and get a separate player later. Or I could just get the good player and forget getting the recorder for a few months.

Hopefully someone can actually decipher what I am asking in this long post. :)

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just glancing at other threads, I can see someone is just going to say anything under $150 would be bad. Now I am not sure whetehr to try to find a good one on sale or get the recorder and worry about a good player when I can spend more.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.