AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm debating the 1st gen Samsung BDP-1000 and the 2nd gen BDP-1200... I like the low price ($578 at the moment @ Amazon) of the 1st gen, but I wonder if the 1st gen has enough issues that warrants waiting for the 2nd gen in March for ~$799.

Thoughts?

· Registered
139 Posts
I don't know if this will get my flamed or not. But from what I've read and experienced the PS3 actually makes for a pretty good Blu-Ray player.

The 20 gig version will end up costing less then the 1st gen player at Amazon.

However I should add that you won't be able to upconvert standard DVDs any time soon, if at all. So that could be a big down side to the PS3.

Oh, and you have to use the Sony Bluetooth remote. So if you have a Harmony or similar remote they will do you no good.

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think the PS3 solution is right for me. For one, I want a player that upconverts SD-DVD. Also, I'm concerned about the slot-load drive and overheating when playing 2+ hours of blu-ray. These may be irrational fears, but with the PS3 (and blu-ray) being a new tech, I want a dedicated player.

I've also been considering the Oppo 981HD, can anyone speak to the relative 1080p upconverting of SD-DVD between the Oppo and the Samsung blu-ray player?

edit: I realize the Oppo is not an HD player, I just wonder if 1080p upconverting for SD-DVD will be good enough until the format war is resolved and (blu-ray/hd-dvd) players come down in price... On the other hand, that will probably be 2 years at least.

· Registered
1,761 Posts
I have the Samsung and the Panasonic. To be honest, the Samsung's PQ is almost right up there with the Panasonic (be sure you do the FW upgrades) and it's actually a little faster at bootup, so if you're looking to get in and don't need all the bells and whistles of the Panny, I'd go for it. It may not decode advanced codecs, but you've got kick-ass PCM tracks on lots of discs.

· UHD Addict
40,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawtooth81 /forum/post/0

I don't think the PS3 solution is right for me. For one, I want a player that upconverts SD-DVD. Also, I'm concerned about the slot-load drive and overheating when playing 2+ hours of blu-ray. These may be irrational fears, but with the PS3 (and blu-ray) being a new tech, I want a dedicated player.

I've also been considering the Oppo 981HD, can anyone speak to the relative 1080p upconverting of SD-DVD between the Oppo and the Samsung blu-ray player?

edit: I realize the Oppo is not an HD player, I just wonder if 1080p upconverting for SD-DVD will be good enough until the format war is resolved and (blu-ray/hd-dvd) players come down in price... On the other hand, that will probably be 2 years at least.

I've had my PS3 running BD movies for 10 hours. No heat problems with the player or discs. I've left the player on by accidsent for an entire weekend(they really need to implement an auto shutoff like the 360) and it was fine when I came back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.