AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What manafacturers currently do the buffering so you don't see layer breaks? I see that some of the Denons have an 8MB buffer for this purpose. I have a 2yr old Sony ES DVD player and its layer change takes close to 2 seconds. Real freakin annoying :)

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
I like the 2 second layer change on my old Sony 300+1 changer. When we have anyone from our families over to watch a movie (they're all clueless about anything HT) and it pauses at the layer change, I just wait the appropriate 1.5 seconds and snap my fingers. The movie magically starts playing. Everyone thinks I'm Fonzie.

Stew

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Keep in mind that the secrets layer change test is the worst possible scenario for a layer change. If the DVD author is smoking crack and pumping in a huge amount of data at the time of the transfer, then that would probably be close (;

a 0.5 in secrets means the vast majority of every single layer change you get would be invisible. I'm not sure exactly what they do in the layer change test, but it might be discussed somewhere in their testing metholdogies.

Otherwise, Kris might be able to shed some light on it.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
From the Secret's page:
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...y-10-2000.html

"Layer Break

Since the release of T2, we have been able to enjoy longer films without interruptions. While a minor pause is better than getting up and flipping a disc, sometimes it does disrupt the flow. WHQL was authored with a non-seamless layer change that takes place during a title roll. At this point in time, seamless layer changes are not allowed by the DVD spec. (Seamless means you don't notice the change, but it is complicated, and that is why it is not allowed by the spec.) Even so, I have heard rumors that studios are going to start authoring their DVDs with seamless layer changes. There are a couple of older DVD players that cannot handle a seamless layer change.

Many films try and hide the location of the layer break so it’s difficult to evaluate. The layer change on WHQL is right in the middle of scrolling credits. Because the change is always noticeable, it is very useful for evaluating a player's ability to quickly change layers. The layer change is located in the Decoder section of WHQL. It's the title roll that is contained in the high bit rate tests. The layer change happens when the text "Warner Brothers" reaches the center of the screen.

"

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Bigelow
The Terapin TT-1800 is *lightning* fast.
$38?! LOL, wow. I guess that just really underscores there being no excuse for poor layer change on a lot of units at that rate!

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Yep. While the player is by no means perfect, chapter changes and layer changes take about a blink of an eye or less. That's one of the reasons why the Terapin is my "cheapie reference".

Go figure.

Paul

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Another good example: The 59Avi's layer change is a lot worse than Pio's 578. Go figure...

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Could be. I keep hoping that maybe Pioneer is getting a clue, and that their next Elite players will have improved layer changes.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Bigelow
Yep. While the player is by no means perfect, chapter changes and layer changes take about a blink of an eye or less. That's one of the reasons why the Terapin is my "cheapie reference".

Go figure.

Paul
Chapter changes should never be seen on ANY player. The only indication of the chapter change should be the display changing the chapter number....

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Stew4msu
I just wait the appropriate 1.5 seconds and snap my fingers. The movie magically starts playing. Everyone thinks I'm Fonzie.
Do you wear your leather jacket when watching DVDs too? :D

Peace...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.