AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a 2nd inexpensive DVD player that has a coutdown timer - preferably for both title and chapter. My original player is a Toshiba 5109 and the display shows 4 times: ellapsed and countdown for title and chaper. I think it's a wonderful feature. What current brand/models have this?

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So is Sony the ONLY brand that has countdown timers now-a-days?

I know that the new Toshiba SD-3900 doesn't have it since I found out the hard way and, thus, the reason for this question.

·
Registered
809 Posts
ekb, you use the Time/Text button to cycle through the different times- remaining time, chapter time, remaining chapter time, etc. I don't know about the 725 but I had a first generation Sony player (DVP-S530) and now have two megachangers and they both function exactly the same.

·
Banned
539 Posts
I would guess almost every DVD player has a countdown timer. But like the other post said, you have to toggle through the options to get to time remaining.

I would bet big money the Toshiba 3900 has this feature. You probably haven't learned how to access it. Unfortunately there is no standard from player to player, so you have to learn a new key combo for every player.

For your Toshiba try pushing the "display" button. It should display the elapsed time. Now press the display again. It will probably toggle to the next display, which might be time remaining. Sometimes it will toggle through four different counters and/or data rate information. Finally it will toggle off.

·
Registered
809 Posts
simmike, It's more likely the other way around, most players don't have this feature. A lot of inexpensive players, which make up the majority of players sold, don't have all the timer displays. I have come across more players that don't have it than do.

That being said, I seem to remember my first generation Toshiba player (SD 2109) had a "time remaining" timer. It would be odd if Toshiba dropped this feature in later model players. Especially considering that the 2109 was an entry level player way back then.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
simmike and gtrogue

I'm positive that the Toshiba 3900 does NOT have it. Looks like Toshiba did drop it - at least for their cheap players. I was wrong about the Sony 725 above. It does have it - I was checking with a segment of a DVD that did not have the appropriate info encoded on it.

Ed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.