AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys..... I just purchased the JVC (886) and I'm in the market for a power conditioner/Surge protector. I have been looking at the Monster Power ($749 equivalent) and the Panamax (new model - panamax M5400-EX - MRSP $749).

Which is the better company and which conditioners would you guys suggest?

One the new Panamax, there is an input/output for LAN line. Would this filter the noise in my internet lines?

I am a big online gamer, so this would be pretty cool.

Can the Monster one do this as well? It doesn't have the Lan input, but I can go through the coax, then split to the TV and Cable modem.

Is there another brand that is better than both of these (aesthetics included)?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

x Spades x

·
Registered
30,710 Posts
I am not recommending any one over another but take a look at the APC H15 and H10, as well.

Kal

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
The only way to do a comparison is to hook an o-scope up to each one and verify you get a good 60hz sinewave out of them. Then check it out on the particular outlet you want to use and hook up a harmonics analyzer for a day and see what each particular conditioner actually does. You don't need a line conditioner for cat-5 cable. The way information is sent through the internet, it will either fix the packets or they can't be fixed. Line conditioners don't do much if anything those type of signals.

·
Registered
30,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogbuehi
Line conditioners don't do much if anything those type of signals.
Agreed. Some, however, provide surge protection for these lines.

Kal

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks... I will check out those suggestions.

So, the noise filter won't flter out line noise on the LAN side? I don't have a problem with packets. I host full rooms (925 upload and 6000 download), but I was just hoping there was something out there that can lessen some line noise through my cable modem.

Thanks..... So which one of these companies (Monster, APC, or Panamax) is best known for their quality?

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Check out the Belkin PureAVT Home Theater Power Console PF60 retail $750 at E-Cost $289...this thing is loaded with features.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
That's possible but cat-5 lines usually don't get any spikes. My experience with using line conditioners for anything other than electricty is that the conditioner just gets in the way of the original signal.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I've heard the same thing as above regarding the LAN line. Theres nothing to condition, but it can protect against a surge coming through that line (rare but it can happen).

·
Registered
30,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogbuehi
That's possible but cat-5 lines usually don't get any spikes. My experience with using line conditioners for anything other than electricty is that the conditioner just gets in the way of the original signal.
Usually, of course. Depends on how anal one wants to be.

Kal

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow... that Belkin does have alot of features!!! It says it protects up to 7114 joules. The highest for the other three is 3000 joules (27something). Is that a typo? According to this, the Belkin is head and shoulders above the rest.

Is this accurate?

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
panamax over monster. and pana has a great warranty if bought through pana uathorzed dealer.

·
Registered
357 Posts
x Spades x

You need to read this thread , if you haven't already. All 26 pages.

Robert

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
The best feature of the Panamax is when there are great voltage excursions (not spikes) it removes power. About the best thing to do when the line voltage goes too high OR too low. Their better units, Model 4300 and up also have led line voltage monitors. Not quite as techie looking as meters found on the higher models, but definitely tell you when the line voltage is doing some strange things.

As mentioned, most popular UPS do not necessarily have the best looking sine wave out. I would not use them to sit back and enjoy your favorite show during a major outage. You will be on borrowed time anyway, and don't want to shorten the lamp cooling cycle.

I only use an UPS with my display. I would not use other power conditioning with an UPS as it might affect it's operation.

·
Premium Member
3,432 Posts
My issue is that I installed two completely isolated 15A circuits and therefore

split my HT power into three separate circuits so that a single Power Conditioner

doesn't work for me.

All by itself, I have a Monster Power High Def Video HTFS 500 Power Center

for just my DVD player and TV and this is connected to a single isolated

circuit ( the HTFS 500 Power Center only has two outlets ).

Then I have Home Theatre PowerCenter HTS 2000 MKII for my Denon AVR-4802

and Satellite Receiver to a single isolated circuit. There is room for several more

components on this power conditioner.

When I get a Hi-Def DVD player I will place my current DVD Player on the HST2000

and my Hi-Def DVD player on the High Def Video HTFS 500.

Lastly my Velodyne HGS-15X goes through a Monster HT PowerCenter HTS200

to a third outlet. My Velodyne subwooder is capable over 3000 Watts peak and

1250 Watts RMS so definitely needs its own circuit :)

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by x Spades x
Wow... that Belkin does have alot of features!!! It says it protects up to 7114 joules. The highest for the other three is 3000 joules (27something). Is that a typo? According to this, the Belkin is head and shoulders above the rest.

Is this accurate?
Yes...check out e-cost...I received mine last week and my audio pops with clean exciting sound...helped clean up a lot of noise on the video side...very happy with this unit...B.B. sells them at $750 ecost $289 ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.