AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which power supplies will fit the microATX cases? Do they require different, smaller power supplies or will a standard ATX PS fit?

Specifically, I'm interested in the coolermaster 620 case.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
It does really depend on the case, some take the big and others the small ones. This case appears to take a regular full sized ATX power supply. I can't confirm that 100% but judging by my research it appears that it does, I'd say I am 99% sure it does though since this picture http://www.soundcardcentral.com/revi...small/rear.jpg would indicate that it would.

That picture is from the Review here in case you are interested.

Nice case, just a big pricey for me. :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Cowtown, you're correct it takes a normal sized powersource, as is the case for the most part in other microatx mobo cases, its a pain to find microatx powersources. but maybe i wasnt looking int he right place. btw, you should check out the Collermaster ATX-610 instead, that case is on the pricey side but its unbelievable, I just picked mine up last week and I cant be happier. The difference between teh 610 and the 620 is, aside from a failry large price difference, the fact that the 610 is all aluminum, whist the 620 is a steel frame and an aluminum bezel. You can find the 620 on newegg for 173.00, IMO its worth it. good luck jjarmoc.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yah, I noticed in that review cowtown posted that it's full aluminum.. that is kind of nice.

One other question on these cases and PSs. I assume it'd be best to stick to a single fan PS, since there's no blowhole above where the PS would mount? It seems most of the quieter PSs I've found use two fans..

·
Registered
742 Posts
I have the 610 and I got it for $185 including shipping. In my opinion, the 620 in steel is worth $65 - $70 savings. I jumped on the 610 too quick. As for power supplies, here is what you need to consider. AMD recommends that you have a power supply with holes on the bottom so it draws hot air from the CPU area. But in this case, the holes will be on the bottom of the case and obscured. That's a big problem. I got the 300watt Seasonic from newegg for $29 because it is a "quiet" PSU and it was a special and it draws in air from the end of the PSU. I think we will see PSU manufacturers offering PSUs with holes on the side for this type of application. Another option is to take off the PSU cover and drill / cut holes in the side by the mobo. I have not had heat problems with my XP1700+ but I am deliberately not overclocking it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going to have an XP2600+ in it that I won, so heat is a concern. Thanks for the information!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Well. that depends. Some micro-ATX cases will take ATX power supplies. But the standard actually calls for SFX form factor power supplies.

DanW

·
Registered
461 Posts
Be careful. I try to find one to replace my extra loud mATX power supply, but there are a few mATX versions.

Just check the mounting hole dimensions for more accurate fit. I found none for my replacement.

I ended up replacing the PSU stock fan with a PAPST quiet fan. Good luck.

CH Yeow

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.