AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi folks, i see variations of this questions answered before but thought will ask afresh for recommendation on which powered sub will work out of gate to replace my sony hdz278 passive sub. this passive sub just started making a noise like something is loose inside. but when i gently shake it, nothing seems loose.
like older htib, a push fit type proprietary? connector outs a + and a - wire from receiver to the passive sub which go into passive sub's + and -.
passive sub is ss-ws80 with 3 ohms rated impedence.
from what i have read, some powered sub can take take this wire input and work normally. but i could not confirm where the + wire from the receiver goes into powered sub and - wire from the receiver goes into powered sub.

my thinking is that a good powered sub will be used even when i move away from this htib. i do not want to spend too much right now. and i prefer to wait for sales to collect all other pieces. additional challenge is what incremental cost for what incremental features. like atmos and DTS X but so little programming right now.
for now, i need vocal clarity and some base which this htib does OK.
then slowly, i would like to get flac casting from new receiver (options?) and better 5.1 speakers (ELAC, Polk etc).
eventually, atmos, DTS X and 7.1/7.2/9.1/9.2, when i setup my basement.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
hi folks, i see variations of this questions answered before but thought will ask afresh for recommendation on which powered sub will work out of gate to replace my sony hdz278 passive sub. this passive sub just started making a noise like something is loose inside. but when i gently shake it, nothing seems loose.
like older htib, a push fit type proprietary? connector outs a + and a - wire from receiver to the passive sub which go into passive sub's + and -.
passive sub is ss-ws80 with 3 ohms rated impedence.
from what i have read, some powered sub can take take this wire input and work normally. but i could not confirm where the + wire from the receiver goes into powered sub and - wire from the receiver goes into powered sub.

my thinking is that a good powered sub will be used even when i move away from this htib. i do not want to spend too much right now. and i prefer to wait for sales to collect all other pieces. additional challenge is what incremental cost for what incremental features. like atmos and DTS X but so little programming right now.
for now, i need vocal clarity and some base which this htib does OK.
then slowly, i would like to get flac casting from new receiver (options?) and better 5.1 speakers (ELAC, Polk etc).
eventually, atmos, DTS X and 7.1/7.2/9.1/9.2, when i setup my basement.
Any powered sub that has high level inputs would work. Here is an example https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1500-15-150-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-634

If you look at the pictures of the amp on the back you will see speaker terminals that you would connect the + and - to.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any powered sub that has high level inputs would work. Here is an example https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1500-15-150-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-634

If you look at the pictures of the amp on the back you will see speaker terminals that you would connect the + and - to.
thanks. that matches what i have read until now. so receiver + goes to sub high level input +. and receiver - goes to sub high level input -. whether sub's left + - are used or sub's right + - are used, does not matter. correct?
HTIB does not has anything for subs Line in (L or R/mono).
so I should be looking at any such sub with high level input + and -. whichever of top 5 comes on good sale first :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts