Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think?

Which manufacture will come out with the first pre/pro to have a high rez digital link for both DVD-A and SACD?

And DVI/HDMI switching?

And I might as well throw in some form of auto setup with a room correction EQ system?

Any thoughts?

Regards,

dc

·
Registered
153 Posts
Unfortunately I think HDMI 1.0 can only pass S/PDIF not DVD-A, and certainly not SACD :( . The HDMI DVD players appearing from Denon and Pioneer also have Firewire for hi-res audio, so much for HDMI reducing confusion.

The closest manufacturer at the minute would be Meridian, but they don't support SACD for obvious reasons. ISTR TacT also has a processor that can accept Firewire and has room correction, no DVI switching though.

Tag has put their DVI switching on hold, the AV192R only has one DVI input. They may release the DVI switcher whenever there is a version of HDMI that supports DVD-A.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Meridian has already announced it.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I think it's too soon to know which pre/pro will support DVD-A and SACD over HDMI first. But I'd be interested in when the first pre/pro that supports this will likely be commercially available to the public since I think we can agree, it won't be any time in 2003.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Will:

I think it's too soon to know which pre/pro will support DVD-A and SACD over HDMI first. But I'd be interested in when the first pre/pro that supports this will likely be commercially available to the public since I think we can agree, it won't be any time in 2003.
Certainly not in 2003...

And chances are a few flagship receivers will probably have this capability before we see pre/pros with it.

I think Denon and others are waiting for high rez HDMI capability before introducing new high end products.

Digital high rez audio and video through one cable will be the next "big thing", me thinks.....

Regards,

dc

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
HDMI/DVI will not develop as rapidly as you stated. These will be introduced one at a time..

1. 1394

2. DVI

3. HDMI/DVI

4. HDMI w/hi res digital audio

The landscape is heaviliy burdened with the studios/lawyers on 1 side and the other side consisting of the market. But the changeover is time consuming as there are piles of legal contracts and IP agreements, while the real key to reaching the popular market price point can only happen once ALL legal & technical standards/snags are cleared so that the semiconductor makers can provide the silicon integration. Nobody knows how long all of this will take but judging by their present lack of progress a minimum of 2 years would be my estimate.

A good reality check is that back over 3 years ago, Harman/Kardon showed the 1st AVR (AVR 7000) w/1394. Unfortunately, nobody had any other 1394 components to plug into it, so they didn't not put that version into production.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Quote:
Nobody knows how long all of this will take but judging by their present lack of progress a minimum of 2 years would be my estimate.
Yes. We're looking at late 2005, at the very earliest. More likely, later.

It's hard to predict whose pre/pro's will be first with those features.

Although Tag, Denon, Yamaha, Sony, Onkyo, Outlaw, Sherwood Newcastle or somebody else will have a pre/pro with those features, it's probably not on the drawing board yet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.