AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which pro-scan DVD player is best for the Panny L300U?

It seems that I always see people here mention their Panasonic RP62K DVD Player with their 300U pj.

Is this a good one for the set up?

Is it good because somehow being the same brand helps in some way?

Is it due to compatible remote controls?

Is it just because it is so affordable?

Or is it because it is sometimes bundled with the Panny pj when sold?

Should I get that one or just any pro-scan DVD player will do?

Thanks.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Markito

Or is it because it is sometimes bundled with the Panny pj when sold?
Bingo. Nothing special about the rp62. It does have the same deinterlacer that the rp82 does though, which is excellent. Too bad the rp82 is no longer available. I've heard that the Panny XP30 and 50 are both good.

Brent

·
Registered
226 Posts
You might still be able to find a CP72, which also has the same deinterlacer that the rp82 has. The build quality is not quite on the same level has the RP82, but it's close. I love mine so far.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I would check out the reviews at:

Home Theater and HiFi DVD Player Reviews

The reviews are quite comprehensive, and they provide at different pages on the sight a real understanding of the differences between the de-interlacers various players use. I use a Panasonic RP56 (with DCDi) with my 1HD, and it works great, better than the built in de-interlacer. I have not seen a l300u myself.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have the Denon 1600 and I can say that I'm very pleased with it. There is no chroma bug and I have not been distracted by artifacts since I got it. (That is not to say that there are no artifacts...just that I don't see them.)

David

·
Registered
587 Posts
It's so hard to say which is better, maybe it's easier to say which models to avoid.

~ Jay

·
Registered
414 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jw_Wood
It's so hard to say which is better, maybe it's easier to say which models to avoid.

~ Jay
That's why I liked the Home Theater HiFI web site. It guided me to buy an RP56 because it had DCDi. Panasonic does not say anywhere on the unit that it has a great de-interlacer, and I would not have known without seeing it there.

The reviews also show frequency response, and some players have significant dropoff at high frequencies, making them ones you probably want to avoid.

I can certainly see the difference (in some scenes) between my player in progressive or interlaced (where the 1HD does the de-interlacing). I would not have known which players do a better job of de-interlacing than the others without this info. After all, there is no point in getting a player which does not have a better de-interlacer than the projector!

Take a look at this link on de-interlacing if you wish. It will show you what kind of visual artifacts are the result of poor de-interlacing.

De-interlacing (Home Theater & HiFi)

·
Registered
28 Posts
You might also want to check out the toshiba sd4800. It's a prog scan with dvd audio capability. I picked it up for $157. Some reviews have compared it favorably to the panny xp 50 due to excellent picture and zoom capabilities. I've also found that good panasonics like the xp 50 and the rp82 are virtually impossible to find. Hey at a price like that, its pretty hard to get buyers remorse. epinions and cnet also have a couple reviews of it. Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.