AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to upgrade from my iscan Pro. I have an HD700 and am considering the Transcanner 2, Rock Lite or Faroudja NRS.

·
Registered
15,085 Posts
You need a scaler with multiple output scanrates. Different models of CRT projectors work best with different scanrates. You'll want to select the highest scanrate that causes the horizontal scanlines to just barely touch. That'll produce the most "filmlike" experience.

Faroudja's Native Rate scalers have fixed output scanrates. Each is optimized for the "native rate" of a different type of digital projector, not for CRTs.

I hope this clarifies things a little.

·
Registered
22,311 Posts
How dark is your room, how wide is your screen, gain of your screen, etc.

As I have a Dwin HD-700 with a TS2, with this info I can compare your setup to mine and possibly give you some help or ballpark re # of scan lines appropriate for your setup!!!

From what others say the TS2 probably isn't as good a deal new, if you pay retail, as buying some other scalers, especially if they have digital video input and you use a DVD player with digital video output.

On the other hand, you can sometimes get a great buy on a used TS2 at perhaps $2500 or so which can be very worthwhile, and it works great with the Dwin projector.

Otherwise, I'd seriously consider Key Digital and Faroudja Native Rate scalers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Steve, room is completely dark. Walls, ceilings and carpet are black, door is completely sealed. Screen is a bit on the large side --106" diag. 16x9, 1.3 gain( Da-Lite Cinemavision).

·
Registered
925 Posts
Hello David,

I upgraded from a Quadscan scaler to my current Faroudja NR scaler with stunning results. I currently have an NEC Xg75 8" Crt projector.

And for 1280x720P the picture is truely stunning. The colors are more vivid and just an overall nicer picture than the Quadscan.

So I think a line tripled setting with a Faroudja NR scaler would be a good match for your Dwin HD-700.

Just my 2cents, Brian

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Quote:
Each is optimized for the "native rate" of a different type of digital projector, not for CRTs.
Not quite true, although Faroudja initial marketing for the NRS was based on support for digital displays. I'm using the NRS with a 7" CRT RP HDTV with excellent results. Most CRT projectors have sweet spots (mine is 540p), and having the NRS scale all source to one output rate allows easier projector setup & greater stability.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I'd wait till this new FE product comes out and see what the reviews are. You might save yourself $2,000 easily.

·
Registered
15,085 Posts
J.Mike,

My understanding was that you had to order the NR scalers with a specific output scanrate. I recall reading some postings from some owners who were rather upset by this limitation.

Are you saying that more recent NR scalers do allow the owner to set the output scanrate?

·
Registered
22,311 Posts
Lets see - my 16:9 screen is 80" wide, which I think translates to 92" diagonal. IF you're 106" diagonal on a 16:9 screen, then you must be 90" or more wide!!! I think you will end up about line tripling, more or less.

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Quote:
My understanding was that you had to order the NR scalers with a specific output scanrate.
Selden, that is still the case. But, Faroudja has added numerous rates since the introduction, the latest being 540p, which works with all RP HD sets. Reviews of the NRS show that the performance is better in many ways to the very expensive multi-rate 3000 & 5000 models.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.