AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in an external scaler that will tie all my video sources together and upscale them to 1080i. My display is a Mits 55805 (only has one set of HD inputs that can be set to either RGBH/V or component), Sat receiver RCA DTC-100 (which outputs in RGBH/V only and is currently using the only 1080i input on the set), JVC progressive DVD player using component outputs, and an XBOX game system (which is the reason I am now looking at an external processor because it appears most of the new games will be 720p which the Mits can't do). So, the scaler I need must take all the inputs (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i)and route them into the one set of HD inputs and upscale all non native 1080i sources to 1080i while also allowing the HD sat signals through as well. Based on my requirements what choices do I have to make this all work?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
We're all stumped.

I was going to suggest a Lumagen Vision which de-interlaces and then scales to 1080i, but it doesn't scale anything that is already progressive. But you can feed the interlaced DVD player output into it. If the game unit also outputs 480i Y/Pb/Pr you can feed that into the Lumagen and get 1080i output.

The Lumagen has excellent de-interlacing.

One dilemma that is starting to appear is that a number of video processors including the Lumagen units and also the Iscan Ultra have four inputs (composite, S-video, interlaced component, and pass through component) while most A/V receivers and switchers have at most three. This forces the HT owner to put an inverse switcher in the component path, especially from a satellite or HDTV box, to send the component output one way into the video processor if it is 480i and the other way if it is 480p or 1080i .

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bond and Allan

What is the "fly in the ointment" in my quest, is it the 720p to 1080i upconversion? If so, could I just use the 480p component from the Xbox, or is it the DTC-100 with it's RGB output (which I could convert with a transcoder)?

The main thing I'm looking for in a processor would be to have it be able to pass the native 1080i and the upscaled 1080i from ONE output to my HD input on my set, vs one output for native 1080i and another for upscaled 1080i.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The CS-1, CS-2, and CS-HD will accept 480i and 480P. Before I received my CS-2 I thought that it would upscale any input to 1365x768 but I found out that the inputs were limited to 480i/480p. I wanted to input 1080i and set to the output to native resolution 1365x768 but this did not happen. It does have two 480i component (RGB, YPrPb) and one 480p (RGB, YPrPb) component input with 2 S-Video, 2 composite, and one DVI input as well.

Since there has been no "answer" yet, I wonder if any will accept an input higher than 480i/480P and de-interlace and upscale ?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Banshee1,

In situation similar to yours, I route the 1080i output from my DTC-100 to a 2-1 Altinex switching unit; I also route the D-sub 15 pin output from my Lumagen to the Altinex. Then ...the output from the Altinex to ONE RGB 15 pin input on my Philips 9352. Works like a charm. Also, some pennies saved as I only ever use the one input on the monitor and that's the only input I had grayscale calibrated.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
The RGB should not be a fly in the ointment. The iScans and the Lumagens output your choice of Y/Pb/Pr or RGB for the 480i stuff they upconvert. So you can match the stuff that is already 1080i and passing through and perhaps avoid the need to use a transcoder and avoid having to keep manually toggling the projector input between Y/Pb/Pr and RGB.

Using their passthrough inputs, the iScan Ultra and the Lumagens let you feed stuff that is already 1080i or 480p (no further conversion) to the same TV input with no need for a switcher.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by banshee1
I am interested in an external scaler that will tie all my video sources together and upscale them to 1080i.

{SNIP}

Thanks!
The is a new scaler coming on the market sometime. It is called the HDTV upconverter from ADS Tech. It seems to do a lot of what you want to do. It was expected out by now but has not appeared yet.

Here is a link to the specs:

http://www.adstech.com/products/HDUP...p?pid=HDUP1500

Cheers,

David

·
Registered
110 Posts
when i check that link for adstech it looks the like it does the same as CS-1, CS-2, or CS-HD. it does not look like it will upconvert input 1080i. it will only accept 480i/480p as inputs

From Link:

Cinema Quality Video from Any Source

The ADS Tech HDTV UpConverter provides superior resolution conversion and image enhancement of standard definition TV and video signals (480i or 480p) into HDTV resolutions of 480p, 720p or 1080i to provide you with Cinema quality video for an exhilarating home theatre experience.

·
Registered
385 Posts
To tie all my sources together I use the Key Digital 8X3 Matrix switch and output it to a Faroudja NRS 720p. It works very well however the Faroudja will not scale anything with a source resolution above 480i. Now as far as scaling all the material, even HD material.....get in line for the Key Digital HD Leeza scaler, I've got mine on order and it should be able to scale all material up to 1080i.

Ofer, I would suspect his set does support 540p since I believe that's what the DTC-100 only outputs...no 100% sure though.

~Ryan

·
Registered
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BlackTieC5
when i check that link for adstech it looks the like it does the same as CS-1, CS-2, or CS-HD. it does not look like it will upconvert 1080i
I am not sure I understand what you are saying. It clearly states that it has a 1080i output, which means that it will scale (upconvert) from the input to the 1080i output. The issue might be the input is only 480i and 480p. Is that what you mean?

-d

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
philnort:

That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid doing, I'd rather not have another "box" with more cables no matter how good they might be in the signal path than I have to. If the Lumagen has 1080i pass through, why couldn't you just connect the DTC-100 to it and let it be your switcher like Allan indicates?

oferlaor:

Yes, the Mits handles 540p, I do believe the DTC-100 outputs at 540p

Allan Jayne

I was seriously looking at the Vision but it only has one set of component inputs ( I need three DVD, XBOX and PS2). With regards to the Y/Pb/Pr and RGB output, would it automatically convert the component sources to RGB?

reg152

The HD Leeza sure does look it will do what I want, all I have to figure out is how I can watch satellite TV in the doghouse I'd be in if I paid that much for one:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just spoke to Patrick at Lumagen and after describing my situation, I found out that the Vision will in fact do what I want to do. All I would do is set the output of the DVD player and game boxes to 480i and let the Lumagen work it's magic (beautiful 1080i on the screen). It will pass through the 540p of the DTC-100 and automatically output all other devices in RGBH/V as well negating the need to constantly get into the Mits menu to change from component back to RGBH/V. The "only" glitch is since I want to use component cables for the DVD, XBOX and PS2 I will have to get the vision pro to accomodate them as the Vision only has one set of component inputs. Thanks to everyone for your input on my dilemma.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Try the Viewsonic Nextvision N6, it should tie all you equipment together, if you need one i know a place that sell them for a very reasonable price

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.