Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted in the digital projector forum as well

I just purchased the Panasonic RP56 progressive-scan DVD player for use with my NEC LT100 DLP projector. Unfortunately, the projector is sensitive to the macrovision in the signal, and is bending at the top.

Does anybody know which progressive-scan players that work with the LT100? I know the Skyworth outputs a macrovision-free progressive picture that should work. Are there are any others (macrovision free or not)?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I have the RP56 along with the Plus UP-1100 clone of the NEC projector you have. Are you getting a good signal through the projector component inputs? The Plus projector apparently only has the old Y CR CB analog component input, not the newer Y PR PB high band component inputs that are needed for use with the Panasonic.

Comparing the s-video output of the panasonic with my HTPC DVD playback to the projector, the HTPC is much better. Are you using the projector component inputs?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had previously emailed NEC about which players might work with the LT100. Oddly, the response was that the projector would not accept a component signal! I can't imagine tech support actually answered that v. a customer service rep. I sent a message back to assure them it did accept a component signal.

I do get a good signal through the component inputs. I have a Dish Network 6000 HDTV receiver that's connected with the component input and it works great, once I remembered to switch the input type to component from RGB on the projector.

I tried some macrovision-free DVDs using the progressive component outputs of the RP56 and again it worked great. In fact, I liked the image better with the progressive output from the RP56 using the component input than with the RGB input being fed from a Quadscan Pro/DVD combo.

I took an earlier suggestion of Mark's and sent my RP56 to have the region-free/macrovision-free mods performed by another forum member. I should be getting the player back this week. I'll post the results when I do.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I have to laugh at the manufactuers reps in this country. They are idiots. Before buying an AccessDTV HDTV computer card (I now have the HiPix) I called Plus and asked their technical services department if the Plus UP-1100 projector could display HDTV and I was told no, it wasn't designed for that.

My friend on the forum had been enjoying HDTV with his NEC LT100 clone for about a year... and in reality, the HDTV picture displayed by the Plus projector is stunning, to say the least. As stated before, I use a HTPC with the projector, but do own the Panasonic RP-56. I bought it to play SOUND cd's, mp3's, etc and to calibrate the DScaler program on the HTPC... not for the DVD ability! It was only $200 and my old CD player was a 1984 Toshiba, so I gave that old one to my college age son.

Thanks to you, I will now have to screw around with getting a component cable to interface the projector with the RP-56. There goes my Thanksgiving holiday! God help me, I do love tweaking so! Doh! If it looks good, I will have to get the macrovision kill mod on the RP-56 also! Where are you getting it done and for how much?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Forum member CKNA is doing the mods. He's been very quick to respond to phone calls and emails. He's also not taking any payment until the mods are done and he's verified that the unit is working as it should. Cost quoted to me was $99 plus shipping.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad to be of some help.

I run component cables from the DVD player and the DISH HDTV receiver to my Denon 3801 receiver, which has high bandwidth component switching. From the output of the receiver I use a VGA breakout cable, using only the red, green and blue ends with bnc to rca adapters.

There are cheap 15 pin VGA to 3 rca cables available on Ebay. I was dumb enough to try one. Didn't work at all. I went to a local decent video store and picked up a good VGA breakout cable for $50 (I don't recall the brand). NEC has a 15 pin VGA to rca cable, but it costs about $100.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I promised an update to this post when I received my RP56 player back from forum member CKNA.

I don't know CKNA other than my contact with him to have these mods done. However, he did say that it would be OK if I posted the results of the mods here on the forum.

The work done on my player was the region-free and macrovision-free mods. There is also a PAL mod available that I did not select. Since I don't have any DVDs other than region 1, I can't talk about those mods yet.

With that out of the way, the macrovision-free mod works just as expected -- there is no longer any macrovision on the output signal. Now I am able to use the progressive component outputs of the player with my LT100 without any sync problems. I prefer the image with this combo better than that produced by the non-progressive component output of the RP56 feeding a Quadscan Pro.

The price of the mods (plus shipping) is quite reasonable. I don't know the rules regarding posting that info, but you can contact CKNA through the forum directly if you wish. He was very professional and quick in the turn around of the player.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.