AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted in the DVD Hardware forum as well.

I just purchased the Panasonic RP56 progressive-scan DVD player for use with my NEC LT100 DLP projector. Unfortunately, the projector is sensitive to the macrovision in the signal, and is bending at the top.

Does anybody know which progressive-scan players that work with the LT100? I know the Skyworth outputs a macrovision-free progressive picture that should work. Are there are any others (macrovision free or not)?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
The Toshiba 6200 is the only player I've found that does not cause this problem. (The 6200 does have Macrovision, but somehow the particular implementation does not affect the LT100.)

Other players might work as well. If you can, bring the projector to the dealer and try before you buy.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mark. I've been searching but can't find whether the 6200 has the chroma bug. Do you happen to know?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Yes, the 6200 has the chroma bug. It also has a really sluggish user interface. I ended up returning mine because I didn't think the color reproduction was very accurate. The progressive scan feature worked fine, though.

Maybe there are other players that will work, or you could buy an RP56 that has been modified to be Macrovision-free. Another solution would be to use a PC for DVD playback...

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the macrovision-free idea. I'll check that out. As usual, thanks for your help with my LT100 questions.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I promised an update to this post in the DVD Hardware forum but I thought some folks here might find this interesting. I took Mark's suggestion and had the macrovision-free mod done. I did a search on the forum, and contacted forum member CKNA for the mods on my Panasonic RP56.

I don't know CKNA other than my contact with him to have these mods done. However, he did say that it would be OK if I posted the results of the mods here on the forum.

The work done on my player was the region-free and macrovision-free mods. There is also a PAL mod available that I did not select. Since I don't have any DVDs other than region 1, I can't talk about those mods yet.

With that out of the way, the macrovision-free mod works just as expected -- there is no longer any macrovision on the output signal. Now I am able to use the progressive component outputs of the player with my LT100 without any sync problems. I prefer the image with this combo better than that produced by the non-progressive component output of the RP56 feeding a Quadscan Pro.

The price of the mods (plus shipping) is quite reasonable. I don't know the rules regarding posting that info, but you can contact CKNA through the forum directly if you wish. He was very professional and quick in the turn around of the player.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.