AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I assume all products are used from these prices. Sony has 16:9 native panel so no black bars seen. It is LCD so dead pixel and green fog may be a problem (turn off source for "black" screen to check). It has MLA which reduces the screen door effect. It's 400 lumens so kinda dim (still brighter than CRT) so you'd need fairly dark room. Both Infocus and Sony has pretty decent scaler/deinterlacer so Svideo and Composite should be pretty good. DLP has better blacks and less screen door but LCD has better colors. Sony and Infocus being SVGA may not be able to do HDTV justice. DLP will have more expensive and brighter bulb but is brighter. CRT will have best picture of the 3 provided the tubes are good and without burn ins. You'd need dark room too due to dim output. CRT is huge, noisy (Sony is noisy too), and ugly. I guess I'd spend another $300-500 and get a new XGA DLP (LT150 @ $2160 from Dell after 20% discount) or XGA LCD (Sony VPL-CX1 $1600 any where). Plus the new units will have better warranty and life.

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I would like to view HDTV 1080i (16:9)

Sony Pl-400Q @$1,400

Infocus LP330 @$1,500

Sony 1252Q CRT (huge army tank) @ $800 (local so I don't have to pay tons extra for shipping)

thanks please explain your decision as much as possible.

thank you

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Wow, not a straight forward decision, I think I'm ruling out the CRT 1252 (too big). And prob. gonna go with the Sony 400Q. However the comment about not doing HDTV justice scares me. please elaborate.

will the Sony VPL-CX1 do much better in HDTV? does it do 16:9? Also the proj. is going to be a little less than 10 feet from screen , so I'd like to fill op the 92" wide screen.

Where can I get the Sony VPL-CX1 for $1600

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RCA-DTC100 HDTV satellite receiver via VGA out looked great on my Sony VPL-CX1. It'll do HDTV as most newer XGA units. It's all about resolution and TV lines. 400q will do HDTV but not as well due to lack of enough lines. 400q is actually the best projector in its day due to MLA (lessen pixelation), native 16:9 (no letterboxing unless watching 4:3 sources), component inputs (no special adapter needed). It's just a little dim, noisy, large, and may suffer dead pixels/green fog especially for out of warranty, older units. Its bulb is more than CX1 too (CX1 is $257 for 2000 hr bulb at www.comark.com ). CX1 has 750 TV lines whereas SVGA units (400Q included has only 500 or less lines) which should be better for HDTV. CX1 will not do 480p from progressive set top box DVD players (HTPC is great), but will do everything else (1080i included). Very few business projector will do 480p except LT150 (I bought one too :)) I'm just saying you may get more bang out of your money from a brand new, 3 year warranted CX1.

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Thanks, I think I might go for the CX1, my other option is a INFOCUS LP755 for $1,550 , with some left on the warranty, which should I go for?

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
 www.projectorcentral.com/consultants_corner.cfm?ci=cc_infocus_LP755 has a review of the LP755 where they stated this unit will not do HDTV. This is the problem with older units they may not do HDTV or won't do it well. Older LCD also tend to suffer dead pixels or green fog. You better check it out in person before buying used units. Ebay is very dangerous to buy used units as you don't know what you're getting.

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Ouch:

the guy wrote on his auction listing: HDTV (see below) and I was the high bidder on the auciton. It seemed like he copied the info from somewhere though.

This is the breakthrough you've been waiting for. Enhanced brightness, resolution and versatility make the InFocus® LP755 the ultimate meeting machine.

Super-bright - 1000 lumens so you can leave the lights on and see your message crisp and clear on the screen

Versatile - a second data input allows you to connect two computers at the same time

Quiet - Your projector should be seen and not heard. The world's quietest projector (only 32dB) means the audience is only listening to you

True XGA - 1024 x 768 resolution shows the finest full-screen detail
HDTV - HDTV 1080i support for ultra crisp home theater

Aspect Ratio - Native 4:3 XGA aspect ratio and full width 16:9 for wide-screen movies

Light - it's just 9.7 pounds and has a ergonomic carrying handle

Easy to connect - with our exclusive, single-cord CableWizard connection system, there is no need for additional adapters

Rich color - advanced polysilicon LCD optical system technology provides color that rivals slides

Plug-and-project setup - instant-on with perfect, auto-calibrated picture eliminates the need for any additional adjustments

Remote control - ergonomic and intuitive remote with soft-power and laser pointer that controls mouse movement and has full projector functionality

Built-in audio - 3-watt speaker with stereo loopthrough capability and audio outputs for satellite speakers

·
Registered
884 Posts
Hello

Having owned the 400Q for almost two years and watching HDTV via a HTPC with HiPix HDTV card for 10 months I can assure you that the 400Q does a great job with 1080I HDTV ! I think what Huey is talking about is the Sony 400Q has a native resolution of 1068 x 480 with a 16x9 panel . So you lose the upper 30 lines and lower 30 lines of the 1080I image. Basically slight cropping .

Do a search on the forum for the 400Q. This projector was introduced around 1997 and is still being used by many people today. You can find a lot of info as well as a fact here . http://www.thebigpicturedvd.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?conf=DCConfID1

Good luck John

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Hi cgott42,

If you want the BEST picture quality and the 1252 is in good condition then it's your ONLY choice. The whole CRT forum should agree me. Since you started it at the wrong place...

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Correction.

I do not think the Sony LCD has MLA. wht it hs is unique delta array (rather than square grid) pixel structure (No screen doors). This was one of the best ideas from Sony projectors. But sadly they stopped producing this technology.

clopez

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.