Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am a longtime poster on the CRT Forum - I have a BG1209s.

A buddy of mine is looking for a projector for his newly completed finished Basement. He is looking at a screen width or 84 - 92 inches. Also, he has a considerable amount of Daytime light. Here is the deal. I dont know which way to steer him. I have not been a fan of LCD, but I have not really been on top of how the technology is advancing. Plus I am a CRT nut. Anyway in his application he will be using the projector for a Sports Bar type setting. He will mostly watch Sports. He seems to think that he wants HDTV Capability in the future. The line of sight from his house currently prohibits Directv. So lets assume that a 4:3 panel is just fine.

Can you guys give me some advice to pass along to him??

Which way should he go? LCD, DPL or DILA? And what models? He does not have a processor in his budget. But I suppose if there was a need and it was in the 8K budjet, he would do it.

Also, he was told to buy a Matte White Screen. I have always thought 1.3 to 1.5 was the way to go. Any suggestions there as well would be helpful.

Thanks Very Much!!!

------------------

Martin Drucker

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sounds like this guy is a perfect case for the new Sanyo LCD (I think it is the XP21n or something like that). Do a search on this forum for "Sanyo LCD" and you will find out a bunch of information about it, but to summarize (from memory - could be a bit off):

- Excellent color

- Lots of lumens (2000 I think)

- Minimal screen door due to MLA

- $6000

I'm not sure how good the processor is, but at $6000 there is plenty of room left for a decent scaler.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
For under $8K, Sanyo has the best solutions at the moment. For a bright 4:3 image the XPN-21 is the correct choice. Can be had for under $5800. For a home theater application for use with HDTV and DVD's, the brand new Sanyo PLV-60 seems to be the new king. Not quite as bright, but gives you more resolution for 16:9 images you get with HDTV and most DVD's. The PLV-60 goes for about $6000.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Your friend is the perfect candidate for the Sanyo XP21n

With ambient light, nothing else will suffice, short of those 2500 lumens shining brightly.

Get a scaler for it to, especialyl if you watch Dish. $1k for a Quadscan, or $1.5 for the Elite shoudl do you fine.

Da Lite 1.3 screen would be fine. I use a $150 jobbie to good effect.

The Greyhawk is supposed to be better, but that is $1-2k for the screen.

good luck- e-mail me if you have more questions, I own the 21n and would be happyto help

dg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the help!

I think he is going to go with the Sanyo! Now we just need to figure out the screen. I have seen some posts about the High Gain screens (2.8) I would NEVER do that with my CRT but what the heck....

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Regards,

------------------

Martin Drucker

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.