AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm researching digital projectors and have read through a lot of the commentary in this forum. I have noted that the Sharp, Sanyo, JVC, and Yamaha units get a lot of coverage.

I'm looking for something in the $9,000 to maybe $12,000 or so price range, and wanted to ask for some advice on which brands and models I should have a look at. I can only see so many, so I'm hoping you guys can point me in the right direction(s).

I should mention that whatever I choose needs to be reasonably quiet without a box and have RS-232 control capability.

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
There are quite a few projectors to look at in the $9k-$12k range. Names that come to mind are Seleco, Dwin, JVC (D-ila), Dukane, and Sharp. All of these companies make great projectors in these price ranges. Seleco and Dwin both have new units coming out in the near future that are going to be among the best.

Thanks!

·
Registered
105 Posts
That was my projector budget and I bought a JVC G15U D-ILA.

It's a fabulous projector, but, it is nowhere near silent, requires a well ventilated/climate controlled room, and has a lamp cost of roughly $0.80/per hour.

My experience has been that nothing else in the price range matches it's image quality, but, others come close.

You have to decide where the priorities are. Since mine will end up in its own equipment room shortly, it's heat and noise output are of no concern to me. Nor do I mind if it eats $800-$1,000 a year in lamps.

The projector will be just part of a larger environment and you'll need to decide what makes the most sense in yours. There are many options... I know the Sharp is drawing a lot of attention right now.

-Ted-

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Ten grand. A used three-chip DLP, an 8" CRT or a JVC G15 D-ILA. $10K is too much money to spend to have to put up with rainbows or poor colorimetry.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Mark,

I'm glad somebody finally had the balls to say this. I can't imagine how these manufacturers command $10k for a projector that has the inherent flaw of rainbows!?! One hip DLPs suck for HT. When I saw the Runco VX1c for the first time I said sure the picture looks great but for 15k it better not have that distracting rainbow thing happening. Frankly, I wouldn't buy it for $2k with that problem. Can you imagine showing off your HT to a friend and the first thing out of their mouth was 'hey what was that" " that rainbow thing."?

Thankfully I found JVC D-ILA for under $4000 and yes it smokes every 1 chip DLP I have ever seen.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
As I have said before, and repeated again, out come my fellow Rainbow Crusaders.

In fact, I had a very long argument with another member about rainbows, which he denied was a problem.

My logical argument: WHY then are companies coming out with faster colour wheels, to fix something that isn't a problem? Obviously, it is a problem they recognize. I also responded by questioning how any company could release a product with such an inherint flaw.

My point, it is of no use to the rest to say "I don't see rainbows, so it doesn't exist." To go out of your way to try to avoid them is wasting your own time and money. So, after you spend 10K which is ALOT of money for what amounts to a "toy" :) You start to see rainbows, and realize you wasted your money. Once you see it, you WILL look for it, you WILL notice it.

However, this does not mean that there are not those who do not see the "colour separation artifacts." Some people can try all they want, and not see them. However, this is a very big problem...because anyone can say they see them, and then the rest of us know that there is some possibility that we might see it if we buy that particular projector. But when someone says they DON't see it, that can mean absolutely nothing.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
At that price, it seems most people like the JVC D-ILA. The thing that worries me about that one is the noise -- a lot of people have said it's noisy. It's not practical to box it.

One of the major reasons for replacing the Eiki that's there now is noise. But the Eiki is really loud.

Also, my application is for movies only pretty much, so 16:9 aspect is preferred.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Barry, I held off a long time before buying a G-15 DILA, because of my concern regarding the noise issue. I now have it in a hushbox, primarily because it looks cool and the hushbox was an easier way for me to mount the projector on a sloped ceiling and deal with certain wire management issues. But I had the unit for three months before I had the hushbox and the noise did not bother me or my family. You could only really hear it during the very quiet portions of the movie and only if you were listening for it. After I had the projector for a week, I concluded that the noise problem was way overrated, and I felt foolish for messing around with a a LCD and a DLP before checking out the DILA. I know others feel this way about the nosie too. Of course, others are more senstive to noise and it does bother some on the DILA units. The point I guess is that you ought to see if you can check one out in someone's HT setup before you take it as gospel that you need a hushbox for the DILA.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for that advice. I'll definitely try to go see one somewhere.

Does anyone have a comment on the 16:9 issue? I really want to use a 16:9 screen, so is the right thing to do on the JVC to get an anamorphic lens, just use part of the panel, or just use a 4:3 screen?

Thanks again...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.