AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone, obviously i'm new here, but i browse this forum occasionally and know you guys have tons of knowledge.

anyway, i am working on a project for a class at Cal Poly, SLO and i am currently researching to find a projector that would work well with microsoft flight simulator. i have a $7500 limit for the projector(s).

here is what we want to be able to do...

-use with either curved or normal screen

-have a fast refresh rate so that images don't blur or overlap

-it must be portable

-use for front or rear projection

-a max distance of 10 feet from the screen

-high definition display

The graphics card is either a matrox parhelia or a matrox P750 which i believe is a triple-head card(3 displays)

any suggestions would be great. let me know if you need any other info.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Are you going to use 3 projectors?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
we'll use 3 projectors if that would be the best set-up for our price limit. it would be nice to have a wide display that somewhat surounds you. do we need 3 projectors for that?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I used to play MS Flight Simulator on 3 monitors. It's one of the only games I know of that supports multiple-monitors out of windows. Unless the game has changed, using only 1 projector regardless of how big or curved the display, would only show out the front of the canopy. With a second and third display you could set those to any other camera view you like, say out the left and right of the aircraft, which makes for a much more immersive experience IMHO.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, so 3 projectors would give the best effect for a suround display. does anyone have any recomendations for which projectors to use? should i ask the guys in the projector section?

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
There is a free program called WidevieW that will allow an unlimited number of monitors: There are some rather impressive pictures on this site:

http://www.wideview.it/

That being said, I think a multi-projector setup would be so complex that it would not be worth the trouble. However, it's certainly within your budget though, as SVGA projectors are down below 1k.

A single 1280x720 dlp projector would be a simpler, yet immersive, experience. This is the most affordable 720p dlp:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-PE8700.htm

Ofcourse 720p LCD are a dirt cheap these days and the picture quality is not too far from DLP...Good luck!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how wide of a display could i get from a single projector in my price range? would a 15 foot wide display be possible?

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Just about any modern projector will deliver a watchable 15' wide image with complete darkness. I'm curious, how do you expect to get a 15' wide image from 10' away!?

You need to do some research on projectorcentral.com. You can do searches based on lumens.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i'll check out projectorcentral.com and do some research. the 10' away from the screen pertains to the player, not the projector. i didn't make that clear. thanks for the help.

·
Registered
196 Posts
A three projector setup would be difficult to set up. You'd also have the issue of each image being ambient light that affects the other images (although black level isn't as much as an issue with a flight sim). You'd need to check out prospective projectors for their throw ratios and compare it to your room. For computer use, XGA is going to give the best bang for the buck, so something like the Benq 6200 might do.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I agree that a single projector would be the way to go. I would just buy the highest resolution DLP projector you could. And with that amount of cash you should be able to get a nice projector. If you are going to sit so close screen door will be an issue so the resolution will be important. Also, I'd recommend using a TrackIR (head tracking device) with that setup, which with that large sharp picture should make for an immersive experience. If you could display the cockpit instruments on a separate monitor that would certainly be sweet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.