Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, guys,i am a NEC XG1351 owner,and happy with it,

and i have a chance to buy my friend's G70,with little wear on green tubes,

i also found G70 is more easier to setup!the hours on nec is about 800 with no burn(i think),and hours on G70 is about 1300!

both of them have great picture!i am confused,which one i should keep!

or i keep two then stack them? or sell them to get G90 ?

thanks for any opinion!

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Well, if the 1351 is an LC then keep the NEC! I've seen them both in action and would (did, in fact) take the XG135LC over the G70. The colors on the NEC tubes are just amazing.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
moome,

why don't you try your best to optimally set up the two and look which projector you like better overall ?

One thing to keep in mind though: The G70 tubes are not cheap, so if you cannot live with the wear the G70 already has this will set you back some more bucks for a new tube if you don't want to go refurbished.

This is always better than relying on others, as they may have different priorities, I would prefer the XG, but this is because I like tweaking projectors and think it has slightly better picture quality overall. Others may find the G70 easy to setup and therefore the better option.

And yes - if you can go for the G90 do it :D

Oliver Klohs

·
Registered
177 Posts
Since the NEC is a 1351 and thus LC model, it really turns the argument towards the NEC. The NEC is also smaller & lighter and parts are cheaper.

The G70 on the other hand is built like a tank and because it is a Sony parts, info etc will be more commonly available. The G70 will be by far easier to setup of the two.

I personally would thoroughly demo both units. On viewing them you may find that one of the projectors isn't performing as well as it should because of wear or other problems.

On the surface the XG1351 sounds like a winner. Most people I know would kill to have a choice between XG1351 & G70.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
The G70 is also liquid coupled.

--Jerome

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Since I predominately sell and calibrate the G-70 and XGLC's, this is what I have seen having both set up in my theatre. Most of the points were covered above.

* The XG is smaller, and lighter in fact the smallest of the 8"LC's.

* The design of the G-70 case is a bit nicer looking that they industrial look of the G-70.

* The reds on the XG are better and the picture for a desktop is sharper

* The G-70 has a more smooth film like look to it.

* From a build and design point of view, the G-70 has to take the win over the XG....who the hell spec'ed those crappy screws that stip if you look at them wrong in the XG anyway.

It's really a toss up. I'm currently running an XGLC and like it a lot.....but then when I had a G-70 up I liked it a lot to.

hmmmm, I'm not a lot of help am I!!

Terry

·
Registered
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jsaliga
The G70 is also liquid coupled.

--Jerome
Thanks Jerome, should have mentioned that g70 is liquid coupled, even though Sony describe it as liquid cooled, it's rear C element is integrated in the liquid. It's just that the plain 1350 is not liquid coupled, where as 1351/1352 are. A bit confusing. If it really is a 1351, then that certainly helps in the decision.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
At one time or another I have had numerous 8" projectors go through my hands, including XG135LC's, Marquee 8500LC's, and G70's. I could have kept any of them for my personal projector and I chose the G70.

NEC's are said to be sharper, and they probably are given the number of videophiles in agreement on that. But these are critical viewers, staring at Windows decktops under a magnifying glass. Under normal movie viewing I do not think the NEC is signficantly sharper. As a matter of fact, a friend of mine has an XG135 (non LC) that was set up by Chuck Williams. I would swear my G70 is sharper, and my screen is significantly larger as well!

Sony's menu is the most intuitive with fewer sub-menus and more direct, one button commands.

One thing I can tell you for sure, the G70 is signficantly brighter. The XG135LC wasn't able to light up my 120" wide screen nearly as well as the G70 did. If you like screens on the larger side the G70 is a no brainer.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Frankly, I think all of you guys are missing the point.

The question should be "I have a NEC XG135LC in my home theater right now and am very happy with it. Is it worth all the trouble to take this projector down and replace it with a Sony G70. Will I be that much happier with the G70?"

If moome found the XG135LC to be decidedly a royal pain in the rump to keep it converged then that might be a motive for change. But then he said he was happy with it. Perhaps if moome is blowing away all of his convergence memories a couple of times per week for the sheer joy of wrecking his setup and doing it over again from scratch then I could see where ease of setup might be an issue.

But if the question he is asking is will the G70 deliver a better picture then the answer is a flat no. I would also respond the same way if asked will the XG135LC deliver a better picture than the G70. If this projector is hung on the ceiling then why even bother.

All of these 8" liquid coupled projectors (namely the NEC XG110/135LC, the Marqee 8500LC, and the G70) are so close in performance I am stunned that anyone would recommend a change from one LC'd 8" machine to another--particularly to someone who has said they are happy with what they already have. Talk about a colossal waste of time and energy. What performance differences do exist between these machines is so insignificant that it falls into the realm of metaphysics and mysticism. Sorry moome, but no one can answer that one for you.

In the world of 8" LC'd CRT projectors a lot of people think the grass is always greener on their side of the fence--even though it really isn't.

--Jerome

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Ah Jerome,

I thought he had two on the floor and was trying to decide which one to put up....I agree, if the XG is running and in place, leave it alone.

Wanman....as I was writing above I thought I was eventually going to come to a conclusion.....somewhere....lol

BTW, when is your theatre going to be done. You knw they build the Empire State Building in 14 months!!

Terry

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
If you have the opportunity to sell both and get a 9"er I'd say sell'em. Go for the marquee 9500 or G-90!

John

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chuchuf
BTW, when is your theatre going to be done. You knw they build the Empire State Building in 14 months!!

Terry
Yeah, they had help, money, and weren't constantly distracted by their wives. :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hi, guys!

thanks for all response,i found the G70 's green tube has a little spot ,so G70 maybe need new green tube!i need replace it to get better image,

my question is where to buy,and how much will be?can i replace it by myself! i have experience changing 6pg's tubes before!

after i retube G70,i will feed them JAPAN 's BSdigital 1080I signal to make choice!

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
moome,

Now you are making absolutely no sense. In spite of your comments to the contrary, there has to be something that really bugs you about the XG135LC that would motivate you to buy a G70 that needs a new green tube, and then go through the trouble and expense of replacing that tube for the sake of experimentation--unless that is the sort of thing you are into. But if so, why even bother to ask us what we think?

There's something you're not telling us here.

--Jerome

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.