AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
room is 25' wide and 22' deep with ceiling height of 7' and I can control all light
screen will be Screen Innovations Zero Edge Pro Black Diamond 1.4 gain 132" in scope configuration
I want to be able to have the lights ON and have as CLOSE to a TV experience as possible
I am ditching my 85" Sony 900F 4k LED for this setup

options:

Sony VPL-VW715ES + Panamorph Paladin DCR
or
Sony VPL-VW915ES
or
JVC DLA-NX7 (RS-2000) + Panamorph Paladin DCR
or
JVC DLA-NX9

thanks !

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Since your room is light controlled, I would select option 3, NX7/DCR, best bang for the buck, IMHO. You can usually get a combo discount if you purchase them simultaneously. I have not seen the Sony 715 with DCR, therefore I won't comment on that option.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Reactions: Reezepees

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since your room is light controlled, I would select option 3, NX7/DCR, best bang for the buck, IMHO. You can usually get a combo discount if you purchase them simultaneously. I have not seen the Sony 715 with DCR, therefore I won't comment on that option.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
Thanks Azeke - I see in your sig you have the exact same setup as you recommended - did you start with the combo or did you add the DCR to the NX7 after using it for a while? If you added it, how significant of an upgrade was it? Do you have any experience with the other projectors / combos mentioned ?

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Thanks Azeke - I see in your sig you have the exact same setup as you recommended - did you start with the combo or did you add the DCR to the NX7 after using it for a while? If you added it, how significant of an upgrade was it? Do you have any experience with the other projectors / combos mentioned ?
Short version: I had a Epson 6040, 4K e-shift, that I bought as a place holder for a true 4K projector, sold it to a good friend. Upgraded to NX5 ([email protected]), which had been shipped to JVC for service (Vertical Line issue), after ~ 3 weeks the vertical lines returned. Returned the NX5 and upgraded to the NX7 (great deal provided for the inconvenience). I then started reading about the DCR lens, never owned one prior. Started talking to Magnolia about it, and the GM said hey I've got one in the back, that a client returned, got another great deal. I wasn't a believer about A lens until now, although not measured scientifically, ~30-40% qualitative improvement personally speaking. I also contemplated the Lumagen, however I didn't want another piece of configuration hardware in my chain. This is a personal choice. In the end, it seemed that Jupiter aligned with Mars, and I am a happy camper, especially, since Covid-19. Hope this helps.

On a separate note, you need also to determine, wether to have it installed or install it yourself. This would depend or your level of expertise, just a thought.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Reactions: razzy3

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Short version: I had a Epson 6040, 4K e-shift, that I bought as a place holder for a true 4K projector, sold it to a good friend. Upgraded to NX5 ([email protected]), which had been shipped to JVC for service (Vertical Line issue), after ~ 3 weeks the vertical lines returned. Returned the NX5 and upgraded to the NX7 (great deal provided for the inconvenience). I then started reading about the DCR lens, never owned one prior. Started talking to Magnolia about it, and the GM said hey I've got one in the back, that a client returned, got another great deal. I wasn't a believer about A lens until now, although not measured scientifically, ~30-40% qualitative improvement personally speaking. I also contemplated the Lumagen, however I didn't want another piece of configuration hardware in my chain. This is a personal choice. In the end, it seemed that Jupiter aligned with Mars, and I am a happy camper, especially, since Covid-19. Hope this helps.

On a separate note, you need also to determine, wether to have it installed or install it yourself. This would depend or your level of expertise, just a thought.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
this is phenomenal thank you !

·
Registered
29,705 Posts
room is 25' wide and 22' deep with ceiling height of 7' and I can control all light
screen will be Screen Innovations Zero Edge Pro Black Diamond 1.4 gain 132" in scope configuration
I want to be able to have the lights ON and have as CLOSE to a TV experience as possible
I am ditching my 85" Sony 900F 4k LED for this setup

options:

Sony VPL-VW715ES + Panamorph Paladin DCR
or
Sony VPL-VW915ES
or
JVC DLA-NX7 (RS-2000) + Panamorph Paladin DCR
or
JVC DLA-NX9

thanks !
Would not go the Paladin route. Not a good match with a zero edge screen. My choice would be an RS2000 with a Lumagen or an RS3000 with Lumagen. You do not really need the added brightness of the DCR and as I said, poor match with zero edge. With the Lumagen, you can use auto aspect ratio control to have the image fit the screen perfectly. This will work better with a zero edge screen than lens memory. As an added bonus, you get Lumagen's excellent DTM solution. The RS3000 wit Lumagen is about the same price as the 915. And the RS2000 with Lumagen is quite a bit cheaper than the 915. I think that is the bang for your buck option.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Would not go the Paladin route. Not a good match with a zero edge screen. My choice would be an RS2000 with a Lumagen or an RS3000 with Lumagen. You do not really need the added brightness of the DCR and as I said, poor match with zero edge. With the Lumagen, you can use auto aspect ratio control to have the image fit the screen perfectly. This will work better with a zero edge screen than lens memory. As an added bonus, you get Lumagen's excellent DTM solution. The RS3000 wit Lumagen is about the same price as the 915. And the RS2000 with Lumagen is quite a bit cheaper than the 915. I think that is the bang for your buck option.
Good catch Mike. Yes the DCR lens will not work well with a zero edge screen, I mask overspill on the border of my screen, ~1.0". Unless you change your screen the Lumagen is a more viable option.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Mike, that is interesting as I spoke w/ someone at SI that said that combo would work well. Maybe they didn't pay attention to what screen I was going to use? In any case, I am aware of the benefits of the DCR with respect to adding brightness and pixels, but what exactly am I adding with Lumagen and what model you referring to?

Can you elaborate regarding what you said about Lumagen aspect ratio control being better than lens memory, and DTM solution on Lumagen far surpassing the built in DTM on all of these projector models ?

I don't understand the benefit at this time.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Thank you Mike, that is interesting as I spoke w/ someone at SI that said that combo would work well. Maybe they didn't pay attention to what screen I was going to use? In any case, I am aware of the benefits of the DCR with respect to adding brightness and pixels, but what exactly am I adding with Lumagen and what model you referring to?

Can you elaborate regarding what you said about Lumagen aspect ratio control being better than lens memory, and DTM solution on Lumagen far surpassing the built in DTM on all of these projector models ?

Not to step on your toes Mike, in theory, the TD would have to be exact and even then it may not be able compensate for any barrel distortion. I've heard some just put up some velvet on the side of the screen to compensate for any abnormalities. Ball is in your court @MikeGarrett.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

·
Registered
434 Posts
I like the DCR-Compact lenses with the NX5 and NX7. They have a smaller opening allowing the Panamorph to be as close as possible to the JVC lens. The bigger DCR and older Paladin have to sit outside of the JVC projector.

As far as a zero edge screen goes, yes installation is more involved. A quick setup will have more overspill. If you are tedious, you should be able to dial it in. I was able to get the DCR-Compact very very close on my zero edge screen. It took a lot of adjustment, tilting the Panamorph up and down adjusts the height of the image in relation to the width.

Tilting it up a bit too much and your image is tall, you will need to mask a bit. Tilting too far down and you fill the width before your height is filled.

Getting it just right involved tilting the Panamorph and shifting the JVC to the screen, and going back and forth until I had it nearly perfect.

First weeks I masked as it was a 10 min install and just wanted to watch. After that I spent a good hour plus adjusting what was already installed. Yes a standard framed screen will make all this easier.

My screen was a Black Diamond Zero edge. My projector was NX7. Lens was a DCR-Compact.

A buddy bought my screen, a forum member grabbed my projector. My lens is all I have left.

After I move I’ll build a new room, it will have an SI screen, JVC and Panamorph again. Awesome combo IMO.

·
Registered
29,705 Posts

Lens memory is not perfect, so it will require some adjustment, especially with a ZE screen. I suspect you have a 2.35 scope ZE screen, since that is standard aspect ratio from SI for the ZE. The overscan to hide the barrel distortion is 0.006 times screen width (0.006 x 122" = 0.73) Standard ZE frame is 0.5. So your frame is not big enough, even if you have it perfect.

On top of that, with 2.35 aspect ratio, you are going to have black bars or have to overscan to get rid of the black bars. When you combine the overscan needed to get rid of the barrel distortion with overscan needed to get rid of black bars, your frame is not even close to large enough to hid the needed overscan. This is why Shawn recommends a minimum of 1.5" frame width.

The lumagen will have fewer drawbacks for aspect ratio control and will do it automatically. With my set up, I do nothing other than watch a movie, does not matter the aspect ratio, the lumagen automatically adjusts the image to always fill the height of my scope screen. That feature along with everything else the Lumagen offers is why I suggested it.

·
Registered
434 Posts
You can get zero edge in 2.40 and with a larger than .5“ bezel.

My zero edge is 2.40 with a 1.5” bezel and I advise going that route when you order yours.

·
Registered
29,705 Posts

My zero edge is 2.40 with a 1.5” bezel and I advise going that route when you order yours.
I thought he already had the screen. I went back and read the first post again and see that he said "the screen will be". Yes, if going ZE, he should go 2.40 and 1.5" border.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like the DCR-Compact lenses with the NX5 and NX7. They have a smaller opening allowing the Panamorph to be as close as possible to the JVC lens. The bigger DCR and older Paladin have to sit outside of the JVC projector.

As far as a zero edge screen goes, yes installation is more involved. A quick setup will have more overspill. If you are tedious, you should be able to dial it in. I was able to get the DCR-Compact very very close on my zero edge screen. It took a lot of adjustment, tilting the Panamorph up and down adjusts the height of the image in relation to the width.

Tilting it up a bit too much and your image is tall, you will need to mask a bit. Tilting too far down and you fill the width before your height is filled.

Getting it just right involved tilting the Panamorph and shifting the JVC to the screen, and going back and forth until I had it nearly perfect.

First weeks I masked as it was a 10 min install and just wanted to watch. After that I spent a good hour plus adjusting what was already installed. Yes a standard framed screen will make all this easier.

My screen was a Black Diamond Zero edge. My projector was NX7. Lens was a DCR-Compact.

A buddy bought my screen, a forum member grabbed my projector. My lens is all I have left.

After I move I’ll build a new room, it will have an SI screen, JVC and Panamorph again. Awesome combo IMO.
I called SI again and they said for sure DCI and any of these projectors would be a good fit and exactly like you said regarding a more involving setup but once you've got it you're good to go - nice to hear that combo was so great for you !

Lens memory is not perfect, so it will require some adjustment, especially with a ZE screen. I suspect you have a 2.35 scope ZE screen, since that is standard aspect ratio from SI for the ZE. The overscan to hide the barrel distortion is 0.006 times screen width (0.006 x 122" = 0.73) Standard ZE frame is 0.5. So your frame is not big enough, even if you have it perfect.

On top of that, with 2.35 aspect ratio, you are going to have black bars or have to overscan to get rid of the black bars. When you combine the overscan needed to get rid of the barrel distortion with overscan needed to get rid of black bars, your frame is not even close to large enough to hid the needed overscan. This is why Shawn recommends a minimum of 1.5" frame width.

The lumagen will have fewer drawbacks for aspect ratio control and will do it automatically. With my set up, I do nothing other than watch a movie, does not matter the aspect ratio, the lumagen automatically adjusts the image to always fill the height of my scope screen. That feature along with everything else the Lumagen offers is why I suggested it.
are the lumagen and the DCI mutually exclusive ?

I would not be opposed to that however my ceiling height is at a PREMIUM and I want every inch I can get

I thought he already had the screen. I went back and read the first post again and see that he said "the screen will be". Yes, if going ZE, he should go 2.40 and 1.5" border.
if I go 1.5" border I'd be wasting 3" of vertical space which is not to my liking due to the fact that my ceiling height is 7 feet :(

·
Registered
434 Posts
It’s really only a 2” difference as the standard bezel is .5”

Keep In mind if you have a 7’ ceiling and you are considering Black Diamond material you want your projector lens at the top of the screen material or higher, you do not want the lens below the top of your screen material. So you will want to figure out your projector placement first, and see if you have enough height for your Black Diamond screen and speakers.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It’s really only a 2” difference as the standard bezel is .5”

Keep In mind if you have a 7’ ceiling and you are considering Black Diamond material you want your projector lens at the top of the screen material or higher, you do not want the lens below the top of your screen material. So you will want to figure out your projector placement first, and see if you have enough height for your Black Diamond screen and speakers.
yes that's right
hmm I didn't know that - is there any way to get that figured out before I order everything ?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts