AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this over in the projector forum and did not get any responses. I thought maybe it might be more suited for this forum. My question is, will my external scaler be a good fit for a DLP projector without any internal scaling capabilities.

Eli

---

Hi guys... I'm going after my first projector here and would like a recommendation. I see there are plenty of threads that speak on this, but none that really take into account if you already have a decent scaler.

I have an HTPC with a HOLO3D being fed by Directv and an SDI DVD player. I am looking for a sub 1K dollar projector to get my feet wet and am looking at the BenQ pb6100, and the Infocus X1 and X2.

I will be doing NO gaming and will watch appr 70% sat and 30% DVD.

Will my Holo address the BenQs shortcomings?

Thanks,

Eli

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
if you're looking for a projector recommendation, this is definitely not the right spot.
Nope... Not looking for a projector recommendation. Looking for some insight into the advantages and/or disadvantages of using an internal deinterlacer vs an external one.

The X1 has the FLi2200 built in where my Holo has the FLi2300, both with DCDi. Is there any advantage to having this built right into the DLP display device?

Eli

·
Registered
101 Posts
No advantage. Disadvantages of built-in scalers are:

1) Seldom have an upgrade path;

2) Some/many times the internal scaler is "always scaling" i.e., you can not feed a native rate input without having the internal scaler rescale.

I don't know the story on the projectors you named in your email but all appear to be digitial. I recommend a digital "light-box-only" projector or a CRT.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.