AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read through many of the "which is the best posts" and it gives me an idea of a few projectors. However I wanted to throw some of the specifics of my HT set up, so that you all can make sure that I get the best for MY needs.

(previously, i just followed a "what's best" thread to buy the Sanyo Z1, but although I liked it, I would prefer something different)

so here's my set up:

(1) Only watching in bedroom, projector will be ceiling mounted approx. 15 feet from screen (white wall)

(2) The wall is about 8' WIDE (whatever that translates to in diag.)

(3) I will be viewing it from approx. 9 feet away from screen (wall)

Note: I will be watching it mostly 100% at night with the lights shut, so brightness is not an issue (if anything, it's a detriment, as it'll wake my wife up)

My needs: (in order)

(1) HDTV resolution. to me thats the killer app, and I would like to watch HDTV sports in ALL of its glorious detail. By far and away, this is my #1 priority

(2) "plasma color depth" I had a few plasma's that I've bought and sold, and love the colro depth, and just "stunning" image. if possible I'd like to keep that in a projector, and their 2000:1 contrast ratios (I need to stick withi a proj. over a plasma due to design issues, my wife doesn't like it seen- go figure)

(3)16x9. I will be watching mostly HDTV and DVDs so 16x9 is great, so I dont get those distracting frames around the image. However I will watch a fair amount of regular satellite programming so if it can do regular 4x3 , then that is a plus.

(4) price: I have $3,500 to spend (perhaps a drop more, if noticeably different), though I'd prefer to save money and spend less if possible.

(5) simplicity: I'm not a tweaker, I don't know enough to be one, so I'd likesomething which is 99.9% great, right out of the box.

Also for what it's worth, we have a white ceiling to, and I'd prefer for it to blend in to be not noticed.

I've read about prices dropping due to CEDIA, did the prices drop yet, should i buy now, or how much longer shoudl i wait? Any rebates, good deals?

Lastly, I am looking for another for a friend who is looking to spend about $500, what's the best that you recommend.

THANKS A TON

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Ok, I'm not going to recommend a projector but I have a couple questions. Wouldn't a different room be more suited for your big screen? If waking your wife up is a concern, I would definately get into a different room so you can at least listen to your programming. Also, if your wife has a problem with a plasma hanging on the wall, she will surely take isse with the "garage door opener" hanging off the ceiling. I am somewhat confused about the design issues, it's a bedroom not an entry foyer that all guests will see (ok, I'm busting your chops a little. I'm a newly wed and still haven't gotten this kind of behavior).

The "annoying black bars" you mention will be an issue with ANY pj (or any display period) if you watch more than one kind of programming. Example.. even if you stuck with DVDs, the varying aspect ratios will get you (2.35:1 vs 1.85:1). It sounds like you're going to be back and forth between 4:3 and 16:9 material so either native ratio will work (just accept that you're going to have horizontal or vertical borders and enjoy the picture.) They become less obvious if you mask them off with velvet, but there is no way you're going to get away with large rectangles of cloth on the wall right?

Finally, You have some unique throw distance issues. Actually, I don't think there is a projector made that will display a small enough image from 15'. Since you're viewing from 9 feet, you'll want a 5 foot wide or less image or it won't look very good. That would require a really long throw lense. Take a look on projectorcentral for their screen size calculator.

Bobby

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Bobby.

The bedroom is where it's gotta stay, b/c normally she'll be watching too, just when she wants to go to sleep early, it helps that it won't have bright flashing lights like I'm going into hyperspace. You're right about the garage door opener look, but I think that might be the lesser fo the 2 evils.

THrow distance:

what throw distance is appropriate, you're right the image will /should only be about 5 feet wide, and that's great. for me (from 9 feeet away).

Does the Sony hs20 have a long throw distance. Also it says that it displays both 4:3 16:9 is that native (ie no bars, excpet for the exceptions that you mentioned 2.35...)

Anyone have any other suggestions? and recomendations of proj's?

thanks

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Tell your friend to look at the used PJs on this forum and in ProjectorCentral.com's used PJ database. Tell him scraping together a few extra bucks to get an X1 is also a good bet. Especially now, while it still has the Farouda deinterlacer.

For you, there appears to be two answers. The first answer is related to price, the second is related to the best solution. After this month you WILL find the best deals. The prices will continue to drop on the Z1, PT-L300U, the HS-10, and the HT-1000 as their replacements are released. Since you've ruled out the Z1, these other 2002 models will provide the best bang for the buck. If you're not bothered by rainbow artifacts, the HT-1000 may be the best deal in this group (in terms of overall picture quality, but it's not a native 16:9 PJ).

If you're willing to blow the whole wad and aren't interested in the best deal, hold out for the Z2 and the L500U (replacements for the Z1 and PT-L300U respectively). They will definitely be well worth the wait! They will also be your best choice if rainbows are an issue. Some might also include the HS-20 in this mix, but Sony's products have been more about impressive stats and techological glitz than delivering a great, tweak-free picture. (I only mentioned the HS-10 with last year's models because it's the only LCD PJ to provide a HDCP DVI input. Depending on your HDTV needs, you may not want to ignore this feature). The Z2 and L500U are also reported to be HDCP DVI equipped.

All of these products are similar in light output. The Panasonic PJs have the shortest throw distance (and will provide the biggest picture at any given distance).

If you're not familiar with home theatre projectors. There is a LOT of good info at www.projectorcentral.com regarding these projectors.

Hope this helps.

gp

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
man, don't be so whipped by your wife.:) I mean I personally think plasmas are a waste of money when you can get front Pjs but damn, I know I wouldn't let my wife prevent me from having something like that because she doesn't like seeing it in the bedroom of all places. IS she going to divorce you? No. Then tell her to deal with it. You guys who get married are crazy.:)

Anyway enough of busting your balls...I think for what you want your options are limited. At a 15 foot throw the image may be too big.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GreggPenn: I'm glad u mentioned about the hs20: I admit (as a novice) the higher stats impressed me the most, and I'm looking for greatest detail in the HDTV, so I was leaning towards that, but you're saying it is more specs than reality. I didn't like the Z1 b/c the detail (resolution) seemed low. I had it and liked the picture enough, but in HDTV the detail wasn't enough.

As for throw distance, I don't mind a big picture (like to sit up front int the movie theater) just not way too big to be pixelated and/or impossible to see entire frame.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I feel so fortunate, when we were shopping for our new home, my wife insisted that we buy a house with a room I could dedicate for a theater, and she loves the idea of me scrounging thru dime ads looking for a cheap plasma for our bedroom.:)

If you want high contrast get a DLP. The X1 looks like your best bet. Good luck in your shopping.

Chuck

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you are lucky, my wife enjoys watching the movies, but is into room decor, to have a bedroom look like a bedroom, and no other suitable room to devote for HT.

btw: if you are interested, I am going to sell my Hitachi CMP4202u plasma( I bought it as its one of the few 42" w/ 1024 x 1024).

pm me if you want.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
cgott42:

I am not telling you NOT to go for the HS-10 if that's what you think you want. I've seen one and the picture is more than acceptable. You did state that you wanted something that was great out-of-the-box. And, from what I've read here, that's far from the truth -- on the HS-10.

Additionally, there are a lot of negative comments in here about the lamp's reliability and service responsiveness. (Look at the thread called "Is the HS-10's lamp bug a dead issue)?

The HS-10 was the best FEATURED LCD PJ for the money in 2002. I think the Panasonic 300 delivered the best picture for the dollar (especially out-of-the-box) during the same time frame. The Z1 was the best priced LCD alternative. Finally, the X1 qualifies as the overall best buy -- if rainbows aren't an issue for you. And, that is a BIG if. The good news is you can buy one from Best Buy and look at it for 30 days risk free. Then you'll know if that will satisfy your requirements.

I demoed the X1 for 30 days myself. And, were it not for the rainbows, I'd be on the bandwagon with many others in this site. If you don't have a Best Buy close, contact InFocus directly and see if they will extend this risk-free trial direct to you. (They would last Spring).

Try the X1 and read a lot. Read here, and read projectorcentral.com. There is a lot you can learn if you want to. Don't let someone pick your projector FOR you. Learn as much as possible. Get as many demos as possible. Then, and only then, make an informed decision.

gp

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I am 100% positive they would do it in May. Don't know about today. Call and ask to speak to a salesperson. Explain your concern about rainbows and see if they will extend the same offer they presented to me.

P.S. The salesman sent a promise via email stating that I would not be charged a restocking fee if the unit was returned with all packing and undamaged. Didn't have to take them up on the offer, because I found it at Best Buy the next day.

I will PM the salesman's name.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I knwo the X1 is very popular and very good, but it says that it is only 800x600 native resolution, compared w/ 1355x768 of the HS20 . I know for DVD, adn TV that's not an issue, and the X1 may be better. but isn't that going to be a huge difference in the detail shown on HDTV. If so is there a proj.

thanks

·
Registered
273 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GreggPenn
cgott42:

I am not telling you NOT to go for the HS-10 if that's what you think you want. I've seen one and the picture is more than acceptable. You did state that you wanted something that was great out-of-the-box. And, from what I've read here, that's far from the truth -- on the HS-10.

Additionally, there are a lot of negative comments in here about the lamp's reliability and service responsiveness. (Look at the thread called "Is the HS-10's lamp bug a dead issue)?

gp
I'll have to disagree here. I have a GREAT!! out of the box picture with my HS10. Of course brightness and such need to me adjusted, but no problem there.

I do agree with GP in that the x1 looks like a good choice for you, and that YOU should make an informed decision...

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'd only add to the others here that a DVI input to me is near the top of my list of desired (required) features on a projector. The difference (increase) in picture quality going dvi versus component or S video was startling. DVD's take on a pseduo HD quality when played via DVI cable at 720P. Of course that means the DVD player (and or set top box for tv) needs DVI outputs too. Other than not having your throw issue, I've done my own shopping and plan to buy the HS-20 when it becomes available. Some other viable candidates flunked on the DVI test.

Chris

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
cgott:

DLP units:

Though I haven't seen it, the NEC HT-1000 may provide the best picture quality in the price you suggest. If rainbows aren't an issue.

The NEC LT 240/260 may be a better deal because it's brighter and less expensive, but it will reveal rainbow artifacts somewhat more frequently.

The DLP units are not widescreen.

LCD units:

The Sony has the best resolution for a widescreen LCD in your price range (and it has an HDCP enabled DVI interface.

The Panasonic 300 achieves similar PQ (though lower resolution) through crystal refraction. Comments indicate the blacks are a little better -- and so is the price. There appears to be less negative comments on this PJ.

The new widescreen LCDs (Sanyo Z2, Sony HS-20, and Panasonic 500U) will be release during the next two/three months and they should all outperform the LCDs listed above. If DLP is out, wait for these to get the best quality HDTV in your price range.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
My personal opinions after a few brief viewings of the HS10 was that the colours did not seem right (some of this may well have been setup). I have viewed 1080i HD on a HS10 also and to be honest for its stated res i was a bit disapointed, expecting a more detail improvement. Over the AE300 in the next room its res seemed to have very little if any notable advantage and the 300 in other areas was a litttle better.

I am partly biased is i HATE sony crap as its lucky to last 1 week end :)

Also viewed the model above the HS10 (cant member model no.) but that was definatly not worth the extra $'s over the HS10 as the HS10 is not worth the extra over the 300. And then theirs pixel outs, at least Panasoinc warrent these were as sony has proably "acceptable 5000 pixel out" policy :)

I'd like to see the AE500 when it comes out, the HS20 i feel would want to be a big improvement given what the AE500 will proably improve the AE300 by.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.