AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After doing some reading on this and other forums I have decided not to use a DLP for my projection. There doesn't seem to be a lot of useful information for someone with as little knowledge of these things as I have.

Sony? Barco? Electrohome? ect..

What are the bennys of a new one other than bulb life? If I can buy a $ 22k plus projector for 2.5-5k used what won't these do in comparision to the newer models?

I will be sending the engagement letter back to Dennis @ Design Cinema in the morning. I am hoping to start framing in about 10 days..

Any input would be appreciated.

Dennis

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
First it getting pretty slim pickings on NEW CRTs a Sony G90, Runco (Rebadged Barco) and maybe a DWin is about your only choices anymore. The Sony will set you back almost the price of a new Corvette. So will talk about used. My favorite is a NEC XG series. NEC are know for there bright sharp picture and great color. Prices $6500-$4000 or less depending on condition. Everyone that owes a Sony G70 is very happy with them. Prices for the G90's little brother are $5500 to $4500 range, for a good clean unit. The E-Home Marquee Series is also a great performer. I don't keep up on the prices. My first projector was a Barco BG-800 very nice older projector easy to setup great color reproduction and can be had for $1000 to $1500. Newer Barcos such as the 808s and 1208 will produce a sharper picture at a higher price. Curt Palme can set you up with just about any of the used projectors above. He is very well known as a square shooter.

Mike

·
Registered
849 Posts
With so many low hour projectors out there and at low prices, it makes no sense to buy new IMO. You can get basically a like new unit for pennies on the dollar. Plus new models are not very plentiful.

I'm a Sony person, and as mentioned the G70 is a fantastic unit for the money. Also look at the 1271 & 1272 models.

I sent you a PM, if you want to view my setup give me a shout.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.