AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in upgrading my current PC to a HTPC and need to use it as my regular PC as well as my HTPC. I'm assuming that this is not an issue with Radeon cards and can use dual monitor support without quality loss.

I'm also assuming I can take the RGBHV output of the Radeon card and use the pass thru on the MyHD card and then use a DVI to RGB D-15 breakout cable to my CRT computer monitor. Is there anybody else running the output of the Radeon thru the MyHD card pass thru?

I would also like to use an s-video output to play DVD's in my bedroom when needed. (The computer is in the bedroom)

It is my understanding after talking with ATI that the 9800 All in Wonder is the same as the 9800 XT, that the XT version is simply overclocked, overcooled, and has different resistor quality for the increased heat.

What are the differences between the various 9800 flavors. I'm already assuming I will get the ATI 9800 Pro, XT, or All in wonder, but which one?

I'd like to know about Sage TV or at least have that potential. I definitely would like an S-video output because I also have a regular 36 inch NTSC TV I can play regular resolution DVD on... may as well swing an S-video cable to it!

I need to run a monitor and my CRT projector: both RGBHV. I assume I'll use the DVI breakout cable for my monitor in my bedroom (there is also an NTSC TV in there)

Do people still take off the high frequency filters? Who here has modified their card and does it make a visible difference? If so, can I do the mod or should I have someone else do it (who does it?)

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
23,131 Posts
You won't be able to use the AIW portions of an AIW with SageTV, so I wouldn't bother with the AIW. Also, I think a 9800 is overkill for an HTPC if you won't be gaming on it, a 9600 should be fine and about 1/2 - 1/3 the price.

I'm sure if I wanted to I could figure out what to remove/change on my card as far as filters, but with the size of components I wouldn't want to tackle that project myself without a few hundred dollars of special surface mount soldering equipment.

If you've got any specific questions about SageTV just let me know.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am going to upgrade my current PC to serve both purposes. Since it is located in the bedroom, it doesn't have to be quiet. I can live with walking to the bedroom to put in a DVD since it is only in the next room. I'm hoping that a Pocket PC with DVD lobby will do just fine. Besides, I can easily control the volume with the Meridian 861 remote as the 861 would still be up front. I have a 65' coax cable for the sound connection.

I need three connections from this computer: RGBHV to the projector, RGBHV to my CRT monitor in the bedroom, and an S-video ouput to my regular NTSC 36 inch TV also in the bedroom. So am I not forced to get an AIW card for the S-video ouput? Or are there 9800 Pro's with an S-video? Am I asking too much for one PC? If there is no quality difference between 9800 series, I would prefer the faster ones for games or whatever... then there is the 128 vs 256 memory, or just get the XT and be done with it... but there is the desire to use 3 outputs and I don't think anything but the all in wonder card has the S-video?? Can you run all three at once? Have the DVD play on all three at the same time?

What does Sage TV require, a dedicated video capture? Wonder why it can't use the AIW?

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How about this then:

Quote:
RADEON 9800PRO 128MB

Manufacturer: ATI

Lowest Price: $220.00

User Rating: (4.36 / 5.00) - (Read 14 Reviews)

Detailed Specifications

Type of Video Card: 2D/3D Video w/TV Support

AGP Support: AGP 4X, AGP 8X

Color Depth at Maximum Resolution: 16.7 Million Colors (32-bit)

Interface Type: Video - 15 pin High-Density D-shell (VGA), Video - 4 pin mini-DIN (S-Video), Video - DVI (Digital Flat Panel)
Would you say get this then? It says it has all 3 connections. I'll just get a break-out DVI to dsub 15 for the computer monitor, run the RGBHV to the MyHD card which will then go to the projector, and run s-video to the TV in the bedroom where the computer is? Would prefer faster games if I have some time to play Half Life 2 or Doom 3 is another story, but I would like that capability. So then should I go full blown XT or Pro with 256, or simply get the PRO with 128? I guess I'm ok with any of these for WM9 720p clips....

I'll try to do a search on "removing high freq filters" and see what happens...

·
Registered
23,131 Posts
Well I was going to post a pic of a 9800 but you beat me to it (S-Vid thing).

I've been out of the gaming world for a while but I'd recommend either a 9800 Pro or XT with 256Mb RAM for HL2, Doom3. I'd guess those will use/require a large amount of video memory and having a large ammount on board will be more beneficial than just the clock speed increase between the Pro/XT. FWIW if I OC my 2.4GHz P4 to 3.0GHz I can play 1080p WM9 on my Radeon 9500.

One thing to be aware of with your proposed setup is that most video cards don't support 3 simultaneous outputs. The Matrox Parhelia and P750 are the only cards I'm aware of that support 3 outputs. There might be some professional cards like Quadros or FireGLs as well. It's not really a showstopper since you'll not likely use all three at once but something to consider.

SageTV only supports hardware encoders like the WinTV PVR 250, that's why the AIWs aren't supported.. There have been long discussions about HW vs SW encoding, but I've always been unimpressed with with SW encoding and never dissapointed with HW encoding, sufice to say, I'm a strong advocate of HW encoders if you want a PVR.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks!

Well, I guess it is only a matter of $ to decide between getting the 9800, 128M Pro or the 256 MB Pro, or the XT...

I'm, assuming I can use two at the same time, that much is all I really need. They don't call it dual monitor support for nothing I hope! Just wish I knew about removing the high frequency filters... nothing is coming up on the search. I know someone who did that and remember most people were doing that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
As far as multiple display capability goes... On page 26 of the AIW9800 manual it states that, "DVI digital flat panel and television display cannot be used simultaneously. If you are recording a videotape, you will need a television monitor to view while you record." I would assume the DVI and television sections share one output section and the analog VGA output is the second.

I'm a noob to this card's features and modes. Trying to hook the ATI to a Sony GWIII myself. Vibrating picture at the moment. :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
128mb memory suffices for any modern games, except at highest quality settings (and especially highest resolution - this makes the biggest difference). 256mb of memory is still way overkill - it won't be standard for a while, and just isn't worth the money imo. i don't expect you'll need it for doom III either, since i wouldn't try to run it at highest resolution WITH highest picture quality - your framerate will drop to 0 :p

radeon 9800pro 128mb is best bang/buck

9800XT has an auto-overclocking feature (not especially handy - overclock a 9800pro yourself, or have fun with the meagre ~10mhz overclocks that the XT provides). it also has a temperature probe on the core - who cares?

as for whether the AIW features will be useful for you - i don't know

P.S. the 9800XT is ONLY a 9800pro with the extra things i mentioned above, and slightly higher clockspeeds. it does NOT have the goodies that the AIW has

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds good...

Damn, I just figured out I'll need a second run if 65' coax cable for the SPDIF out on the MyHD card... damn. Its always something... Would think I could just pass the sound through the onboard M-Audio SPDIF??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.