AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I apologize for making another thread but my last one didn't get much attention. I got a pair of Polk Audio TSi100 speakers for cheap and would like to make a nice 2.1 setup with them. I am very new to home audio and am clueless on the components. I have been looking up how to run a 2.1 configuration off of a 5.1 receiver and it has left me a little confused. How difficult would it be to set that up?

Could I run a 2.1 setup with this receiver?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1J70S50306

I was also thinking about using this sub as well.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882115129

What are your guys' inputs? I would use this for movies/music/games. I'm not looking for a premium package but just a nice improvement from the TV speakers

·
Registered
242 Posts
Nothing to be confused about when hooking up 2.1 speakers to a 5.1 receiver. Just don't let all the technical jargon cloud your head. You simply hook up your two main speakers to the terminals (clearly labeled) on the back of your receiver, then use a single RCA cable to connect the subwoofer. The receiver won't try to output audio to speakers that aren't there so it will downmix any 5.1 content to your 2.1 setup.

As for choice in sub, I would step up a little bit and try maybe this Polk PSW505 . It's the sub I started with and it seems to be a common entry-level sub around here. It regularly goes on sale for less than $200 - I got mine for $150 from Newegg in June. It's hard to beat for $150.

Also, I personally would step up to a receiver with room calibration like Audyssey or YPAO. Something like this or this, which is the next step above the one you linked .

Besides the room calibration, those receivers support android/iphone apps, Airplay, and other fun network stuff that really adds to a receivers potential.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.