AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently looking at the Onkyo TX-NR3007 and the Denon AVR-4310ci. I've always thought that Denon was of a higher quality than Onkyo, but I've never owned one.

This will go along with a Samsung PN50B860 TV, and undetermined speakers (although I'm leaning towards Polk's LSi series).

What other options do I have at this price range? And more importantly, what do you feel is the "best" option? I'll mostly be watching TV/movies, and listening to 2-channel music.

Thanks guys,

MR

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Yamaha RX-V3900 is another. There are a few glitches with it, detailed in the 3900 thread. I liked mine, but sold it for the Z7 (which was a bit of a waste of money, as I did not find the extra video options to be that helpful.)

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Personally I would put as MUCH towards speakers as possible. Speakers make a much bigger difference.

With that said, I'm a big fan of the cost to performance benefit of Onkyo. Marantz refurbs are usually a great buy as well.

Personally I use an Onkyo 805 and love it.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Be prepared for additional outlays of cash for a standalone amp to drive those LSIs which are very inefficient. Look at the Energy RC-10, Infinity Primus P362, B&W, Paradigm, Wharfedale, Monitor Audio, PSB, etc as good or better alternatives.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbunnysoulja /forum/post/18293240

Personally I would put as MUCH towards speakers as possible. Speakers make a much bigger difference.

+1

But to answer your original question, I'd go with a receiver with preouts like the Onkyo 707 or Marantz SR5004 combined with an amp from Emotiva.

·
Registered
65 Posts
For just a little more than your budget, you could get the Yamaha RX-Z11. It was originally priced at $5499. You will not need any extra amps with it. There are only a few left at authorized dealers where you will get the five year warranty. Very cool pc software is free. Send me a message if you want more details. Bill

·
Registered
342 Posts
accessories4less has the (black) NR5007 on sale right now for just a touch over your budget. worth a look.

good site. I used to buy my cables from them before I switched to knukonceptz.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassWolf /forum/post/18293617

accessories4less has the (black) NR5007 on sale right now for $1599, and free shipping I believe.

good site. I used to buy my cables from them before I switched to knukonceptz.

It's my favorite site for Marantz refurbs. Some deals just can't be beat, plus they are an authorized reseller.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I would put almost all the money into better speakers. You would be fine with an refurbed onkyo receiver like the 707 for $500

This will lead to a better sounding system in the end

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
Those Polks LSi's are outstanding speakers. 4 ohm and hard to drive. Either a 876/906 or a combination lower scale receiver and the amp option. An Onkyo 707/807 and Emotiva XPA5 would work. I would tend to believe that the 4310 may have a harder time driving those speakers than the 3307. An Onkyo 805/875/876/906, no problem. The Z11 mentioned above would also work well, but is a little above budget. A 1900/3900 from Yamaha with an Emotiva XPA3 for the fronts would also be an option to look into. There is and Onkyo 876S refurb at accessories4less for a good price or a NIB at tigerdirect, also under $1K.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I agree with putting the $ in speakers. I have NHT Classic 3's, which sound amazing, powered by a Onkyo 1007.

·
Registered
663 Posts
This is his budget for a receiver. He may have another for speakers and could afford a lot more than we know. We just have an idea what he may get.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
The Polk Lsi's are far from cheap speakers. Those seem to be the speaker the OP has chosen after listening to others. He is asking for help in choosing something to power them, not change his mind about his choice of speakers.

·
Registered
342 Posts
speakers are a subjective thing. if he's happy with his Polks, then that's fine.

I use LXi3 Polks for my surrounds and am happy with them, namely because I can't find two decent pair of old KEF reference TDM34DS dipoles to match the KEF 104/2s I use as my mains. Would I like a set of Martin Logans, too? Yeah, but I love the old KEFs.

That said, I also went with the Onkyo NR5007 for it's toroidal transformer power supplies (3), it's 32-bit Burr Brown DACs, and it's ability to drive a 4-ohm bi-amped load for those bi-wire KEFs I use. Without dropping serious bank on separate amplifiers and re-wiring my entire room to support the current draw of some high end SSAs, the integrated amplifier section of the NR5007 is pretty great.. especially for a receiver that can be had for well under 2Gs.

just my two cents.

PS, also he may already own his speakers, and have a timbre matched setup for a 7.1 layout or better.. in which case suggesting he upgrade his speakers would mean replacing ALL of them.. which is not really an option for his budget.. getting higher end speakers than what he has, and buying at least 7 of them.. ouch.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts