AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I finally ended up with the B&W DM602 S3's - I just liked the way they sounded. Perhaps I could have waited and listened to more speakers and driven myself nuts and found a speaker that I liked better - but I decided not to do that.

I really think that I made a good choice - I think I made a very "safe bet" and I don't think I could have done too much better for what I was looking for.

Now for the REAL fun - the new thing to drive me crazy!

Can anyone recommend a surround sound receiver - at around $1000 - that is as impressive (or almost as impressive) with stereo music as it is in Dolby Digital?

Or, should I purchase a separate surround sound receiver (for movies) and a separate integrated amp (for music) - say for $500 to $600 each - if music is as important to me as home theater?

Will I TREMENDOUSLY improve stereo sound if I buy a separate integrated amp for music?

Will my surround sound receiver be pretty good, or will it be A LOT better if I paid double for it?

If I went separate, can I hook it up so that I don't have to keep disconnecting and reconnecting the other when I want to listen to one or the other?

Basically what I am asking is if I am better off with a $1200 surround sound receiver for both music and movies - or if I am better off with a $600 surround sound receiver AND $600 for an integrated amp - if BOTH are important to me?

Have any suggestions regardless?!

:)

·
Registered
273 Posts
One of Rotel's receivers is a good candidate. The RSX-1056 and RSX-1067 is within range, I believe. Generally, I don't think there will be a huge difference between a competent receiver and an integrated amp below $1k.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you like the way they sounded, why not the components you auditioned them with? Take them home and see if the magic from the audition is the same in your listening enviroment.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by geespot
If you like the way they sounded, why not the components you auditioned them with? Take them home and see if the magic from the audition is the same in your listening enviroment.
Because I heard them with unaffordable monsters I am sure!

Before you tell me it was foolish to choose that way, I will say that I am satisfied that I heard my speakers full potential with decent electronics - now I just need to get good electronics in my price range!

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Well B&W does work closely with Rotel in so far as design goals and voicing, and they are a great match, though there are certainly others too.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I have a Pioneer 56TXi receiver paired with my 602 S3s. I absolutely love the sound!

With the new 74TXi coming out soon, you might be able to score a good closeout price on the 56TXi...or even better yet splurge and get the new 74TXi when it hits the shelves :).

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Twochordcool:

If you're looking for a powerful receiver, then Rotel H/K and NAD will be the best choices and all those brands will perfectly match your B&Ws.

If your thinking of a stepwise approach, you may choose a midrange receiver full of surround formats and modes, great conectivity options and autoeq features onboard. So a future upgrade may consider Denon or Pioneer receivers that can be used as pre/pro if paired up to a separate power amp.

Finally, if your wallet is fat enough, then you can directly go to the separates road. If this is the case, Rotel and Parasound offer great combos at fair prices that will certainly match your 602s ;)

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I tend to agree with the above. B&W mates particularly well with Rotel. The only Rotel in OP's range is the 1056 (the 1067 is twice as much almost). The NAD's are good, as are the Marantz's. The Marant units have the musicality AND the features. I would steer clear of a $1000 denon with them though. I have never been impressed with Denon & B&W combinations. HK sound nice, but they are very unreliable. I am running CDM 9NT's in a 7.1 B&W system. I use an Arcam AVP700 processor with a Parasound HCA-2205AT amp. Sweetness. I used a 56TXI alone for 2 weeks, then as a processor with the Parasound for another 3 weeks. It was not bad, but not great. I moved the 56TXI down to the Den, and am a happy clam now.

My move would be this.
SR8500

·
Registered
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick TX
... I have never been impressed with Denon & B&W combinations. HK sound nice, but they are very unreliable... My move would be this.
SR8500
Ditto! :) Or Audiogon.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
I tend to agree with the above. B&W mates particularly well with Rotel. The only Rotel in OP's range is the 1056 (the 1067 is twice as much almost). The NAD's are good, as are the Marantz's. The Marant units have the musicality AND the features. I would steer clear of a $1000 denon with them though. I have never been impressed with Denon & B&W combinations. HK sound nice, but they are very unreliable. I am running CDM 9NT's in a 7.1 B&W system. I use an Arcam AVP700 processor with a Parasound HCA-2205AT amp. Sweetness. I used a 56TXI alone for 2 weeks, then as a processor with the Parasound for another 3 weeks. It was not bad, but not great. I moved the 56TXI down to the Den, and am a happy clam now.

My move would be this.
SR8500
That's terrific, only problem is it appears that you have tremendously exceeded my budget!

Can we talk receivers in the $1000 to $1500 range OR receivers in the $500 to $700 range AND integrated amps in the $500 to $700 range?

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
FWIW i have the B&W 603s3's powered with the rotel rsx1056 and have never been happier than i am with this receiver,it's fantastic even in 2 channel.I would definatlely advice you to go back to the dealer you got the B&W's at and audition them with a rotel rsx1056.I am a beleiver that rotel and b&w do very well together,probably because that's what i have and i'm biased.But do yourself a favor and audition the rotel with your 602's if you can.You may or may not like it but atleast you'll know one way or the other.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
For Integrated Stereo Amp, I could not find a better mate for 602 than the Rotel RA1062. This guy MSRPs probably at 700$ range. This integrated amp basically gave me the most the 602 could give me.

For multichannel, I liked the RSX-1067 a "hearable" amount more than the RSX-1056. the RSX-1067 was able to give me very close the SQ of the Integrated RA1062 in music (stereo listening).

I dont know how much the 1067 is unfortunately and it is possible it is way over your budget.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Quote:
Quote:

... I have never been impressed with Denon & B&W combinations. HK sound nice, but they are very unreliable... My move would be this.

SR8500
While teh 8500 is nice , I was under the impression we were not supposed to post links like that ....or am I wrong?

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twochordcool
That's terrific, only problem is it appears that you have tremendously exceeded my budget!

Can we talk receivers in the $1000 to $1500 range OR receivers in the $500 to $700 range AND integrated amps in the $500 to $700 range?

It's under $1,100. Jake, if a forum sponsor was selling Marantz, I wouldn't have posted it.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Quote:
Jake, if a forum sponsor was selling Marantz, I wouldn't have posted it.
Is that the rule? Just don't undercut the sponsers?

I am not being sarcastic, I just don't know.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Makes sense to me, they are paying AVS for this place. As far as anyone else goes, who gives a crap? Are you a Marantz authorized refurb internet dealer? If no, then why do you give a crap?

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
OK, I'll relax. I could understand getting flamed by AVS & AVS members for linking dealers that compete with forum sponsors (& AVS themselves). It's when I am subtly taken to task by an anonymous dealer that is not a sponsor that my feathers got ruffled. I was just trying to help OP. Sorry if I was snappy.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Quote:
Makes sense to me, they are paying AVS for this place. As far as anyone else goes, who gives a crap? Are you a Marantz authorized refurb internet dealer? If no, then why do you give a crap? ......It's when I am subtly taken to task by an anonymous dealer that is not a sponsor that my feathers got ruffled.
Don't be $h!tty , I'm not taking anyone to task, just trying to get a handle on the rules...thanks for being an administrator and explaining them to me. I am anonymous for a reason, I'm not trying to drum up buisness and I'm not a sponser.

Jeez

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.