AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to pick up a new receiver to replace my Yamaha RX-Z7 and I'm looking at the Pioneer Elite SC-75, Denon X4000, and Marantz SR6008 and trying to decide which one handles 4K the best along with having a nice looking GUI? At this time I've ruled out Integra and Onkyo due to their HDMI board issues.

I've been playing around with a Yamaha RX-A830 but I'm not happy with its GUI or the YPAO.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereojeff  /t/1493173/which-receiver-has-the-best-4k-upscaling#post_23794690

IMO you don't need 4k scaling in a receiver. Your 4k display device already performs that function.

Jeff

Yes. Every 4K TV will upscale everything to 4K. No need for a receiver to do it.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Yes, your TV will do it, but no, I'd rather have it in the AVR.

1) it is easier to swap out an AVR vs a TV

2) the one in the AVR is likely going to be better then the one in the TV in a higher end AVR... would you rather have a Faroudja scaler or a Realta HQV scaler?

Heck, I bet the TV guys are just gonna use a home grown scaler to save costs instead of leaving it to the pros.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Exactly, I'd like to have the flexibility of using the AVR. Generally the ones with the best upscaling are going to have the least amount of issues with HDMI in general. It sounds like the Pioneer Elite and Onkyo/Integra have the Qdeo chip but I'm not sure if that is better than what is in say the Denon X4000 or Marantz SR7008.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benamaster  /t/1493173/which-receiver-has-the-best-4k-upscaling#post_23795410

Exactly, I'd like to have the flexibility of using the AVR. Generally the ones with the best upscaling are going to have the least amount of issues with HDMI in general. It sounds like the Pioneer Elite and Onkyo/Integra have the Qdeo chip but I'm not sure if that is better than what is in say the Denon X4000 or Marantz SR7008.

Honestly, its too early to worry about 4K. HDMI 2.0 is around the corner (not required for 4K though). Scalers and TVs are a very limited selection. No content either. Personally, I am not going to invest 1 red cent in 4K until native 4K content is available.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's the tough part for me, I have the Sony 4K TV with Media Player and a Golden Ear Soundbar and I don't want to wait 6 months for HDMI 2.0 support. I'd love to go buy a Marantz SR7008 but I'm not going to spend that much when it doesn't support HDMI 2.0.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
My advice is to wait until HDMI 2.0 compliant AVR's are available if you intend to use the AVR to scale all your inputs. 4k BD will be available likely by year end 2014 and the largest source of 4k content. Being able to send 2160p60 to the Sony should turn off all it's scaling related video processing. Sending 4k over HDMI 1.4 may not since it isn't p60. My advice regarding the chip is to check the BD player thread. The higher end chips are used in different players. Personally, I use a Lumagen Radiance video processor with audio only sent out of the second HDMI output to a Yamaha 3020 (HQV). Because the 3020 only does audio it's being only HDMI 1.4 for 4k is not an issue.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Lol, that $699 4K media player that Sony released with 10 movies? I wouldn't have bought that if I was you. That's gonna be a huge flop. They aren't going to release too many movies on that. Service will be shutdown and the player will be useless.

·
Registered
585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeHammer  /t/1493173/which-receiver-has-the-best-4k-upscaling#post_23795431

Honestly, its too early to worry about 4K. HDMI 2.0 is around the corner (not required for 4K though). Scalers and TVs are a very limited selection. No content either. Personally, I am not going to invest 1 red cent in 4K until native 4K content is available.

FYI 4k content is already trickling in. After Earth and World War Z are two I can think of off the top of my head shot in 4k.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackangst  /t/1493173/which-receiver-has-the-best-4k-upscaling#post_23802494

FYI 4k content is already trickling in. After Earth and World War Z are two I can think of off the top of my head shot in 4k.

What exactly are you playing that with?

Slightly off topic, but those movies are both awful. lol.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benamaster  /t/1493173/which-receiver-has-the-best-4k-upscaling#post_23795459

That's the tough part for me, I have the Sony 4K TV with Media Player and a Golden Ear Soundbar and I don't want to wait 6 months for HDMI 2.0 support. I'd love to go buy a Marantz SR7008 but I'm not going to spend that much when it doesn't support HDMI 2.0.
r u sitting 4' from the display to get the full benefit.

·
Registered
51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benamaster  /t/1493173/which-receiver-has-the-best-4k-upscaling#post_23795459

r u sitting 4' from the display to get the full benefit.
Bump forward in time.

This is still a very relevant question.

What are the best AVRs out there at 4K up-scaling?

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
The Oppo machines had decent video processing. Perhaps wait for Oppo to release their 4K player?
Not only is there an excellent UHD player option available right now, but that wasn't the OP's question.
Most high-end AVRs have adequate 4k processing, and I use it for 1080i (and below) sources. See my sig for suggestions.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Not only is there an excellent UHD player option available right now, but that wasn't the OP's question.
Most high-end AVRs have adequate 4k processing, and I use it for 1080i (and below) sources. See my sig for suggestions.
You're correct - the it wasn't the OP's question. I forgot that the BDP-105D does 4k upscaling on it's HDMI inputs but I have not tried it. I don't use AVRs but separates.

I'm am going to wait on the UHD craze because I don't understand how a 100GB disc will fit a UHD movie without having a high compression rate.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Have an interest in this too. Currently waiting for a Vizio P65 4K TV and its upscaling for 720p content is poor. I have alot of content on my network that is 720p and 1080p and want a A/V receiver with better 4K upscaling than than the Vizio. My Fire TV will be sending the network content to the TV.

Any suggestions?

Was looking at the Denon 920 which is still in my budget. I only have a 5.1 setup and my speakers (Klipsch) are very efficient.

Seems back in 2014 models Onkyo advertised the Marvell Qdeo chip for their 4K upscaling, but seems to not be mentioned in any new materials so not sure what new models are using.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts