AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a long time since I've considered a receiver upgrade. During that time, not much has changed in my setup other than monitors and media players.

Currently I have:

AVR = Pioneer Elite vsx-45tx

L/R = Paradigm monitor 9

CC = Paradigm LCR-350

SS = Paradigm adp-350

Sub = Pardigm pw2200

Media = PS3, Xbox 360, DishNet vip722, Hitachi SVHS

Monitor = Mitsubishi 73733

Room size is medium, but somewhat open to the kitchen. Playing levels are from moderate to ridiculously loud

As far as sound quality, I'm very content with the way the system has performed. I really can't make any complaints.

OTOH, I would like to have HDMI switching and video upscaling for my one analog source (SVHS). It rarely gets used; but we do have a large Disney collection on VHS. I'm also curious about the lossless DD and DTS formats.

I wold guess the use is about 40% satelite viewing, 30% gaming, 15% movie viewing, and 15% streaming audio or OTA radio.

One thing I am not sure about is my speakers. Are they considered: easy to drive, hard to drive, somewhere in the middle.

I don't even know what price-range I should be looking at. Are these speakers best matched with a $500, $1k, $1500 receiver.

Also, would I notice much of an improvement by upgrading at all. Currenlty, my TV is maxed with the three HDMI inputs; but I don't know that I'll be adding anything soon. My audio is run via optical outs on my media sources ( I did have to use a converter for Dishnet as my 45tx only has two optical inputs).

Thanks for any inputs guys, and thanks for reading.

·
The Village Idiot
9,715 Posts
If you are happy with your current AVR you can always let the display do the upconverting of analog to digital. They tend to do it better than many of the AVRs anyways. Most displays made today come with composite component and RGB connections making it easy to by-pass modern AVRs. Most people that have HDMI switching with upscaling and upconverting don't realize they don't need all that in the AVR - the display will usually have 2 HDMI plugs anyways. The only thing you'll be missing is the 'one cable' solution' that so many are looking for - and paying for. RCA cables aren't expensive and when plugged in properly do as good a job as the HDMI. All you will be missing is the HD sound formats. IMO its no great loss.

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
Paradigm speakers are efficient, so if you bought a new receiver, I would do so for inputs, processing and some kind of room correction. I have a Denon 3808ci and really like the way it works with my Paradigm Studio setup.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So if I wanted to stay with Pioneer Elite.....

Should I be looking at the 23tx or the 25tx? The 23 has the features I want; but I wasn't sure about the amp section.

I've never owned a Yamaha receiver, but I was looking at the 1065 as well.

Also considered the Denon 790.

·
The Village Idiot
9,715 Posts
Your Paradigm monitor 9 speakers are an easy load for an AVR @ 93db sensitivity. Unless you are driving them to high SPL levels you won't need gobs of power. And FWIW the difference between 50wpc and 100wpc isn't as wide a gulf as it would seem.

Pick an AVR for the features you want and don't worry too much about how much power it has.

Set your crossover to the 5.0 speakers to 80hz - 100hz for the surrounds. That will take a lot of the load off the AVR in the low frequencies and let it and the main speakers to concentrate on where they work best. The lower the frequency the more power it takes to make a given sound level - this it gives the sub more to - not a bad thing.

Post your budget for your next AVR if you want suggestions for AVRs. It gives me/them/us a target to shoot at - nothing worse than a shotgun approach to suggestions.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach /forum/post/16935122

So if I wanted to stay with Pioneer Elite.....

Should I be looking at the 23tx or the 25tx? The 23 has the features I want; but I wasn't sure about the amp section.

I've never owned a Yamaha receiver, but I was looking at the 1065 as well.

Also considered the Denon 790.

If your preference is for the Pioneers I'd stay with one of those. Skip the Yamaha 1065. As for the Denon's a 3310 or above will serve quite well. The best buys for Denon's now are last years 3808 or even the 4308, both can be had for very good prices, especially the 3808 when you can find one. You may also want to look into the Onkyo's 805,806,875,876 lots of power and reliable. You can get the Onkyo's as re-furbs from accessories4less or ShopOnkyo for extremely good prices. If you want to try Yamaha I would start with the 3900 or 1900 and leave the new releases alone until some reliable test have been done on this years models. Too much seems to have been cut from the new offerings from Yamaha so far. Fall releases from them problably will be much better.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions.

I should have mentioned budget, that was kind of boneheaded of me. I was thinking in the $800 - $1200 range.

I'm heading out to audition some receivers in a couple of hours. I've given up trying to get a feel for the equipment at the big box stores. I'd like to test drive them just a bit. You know, check out the menu and features; maybe even get a chance to listen to them.

One feature I've come to like on my current 45tx is the MCACC. When I got this receiver, it was the only auto-calibrating brand around. I see that has become a fairly common feature. It wasn't until MCACC that I realized I was running my sub way to HOT. It took a little while to get use to, but dialogue really cleared up once the sub was under control.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach /forum/post/16935389

Thanks for the suggestions.

I should have mentioned budget, that was kind of boneheaded of me. I was thinking in the $800 - $1200 range.

I'm heading out to audition some receivers in a couple of hours. I've given up trying to get a feel for the equipment at the big box stores. I'd like to test drive them just a bit. You know, check out the menu and features; maybe even get a chance to listen to them.

One feature I've come to like on my current 45tx is the MCACC. When I got this receiver, it was the only auto-calibrating brand around. I see that has become a fairly common feature. It wasn't until MCACC that I realized I was running my sub way to HOT. It took a little while to get use to, but dialogue really cleared up once the sub was under control.

This is one of the ones I mentioned earlier. It will power those speakers easily plus some. Uses Audessey Multi EQ XT, well received and reviewed here and other places. From here it will fit your budget and comes with factory warranty.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...r-black/1.html

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was able to get out a couple of times this week. I think I saw just about everything there is to offer, and even a few I hadn't considered.

It was a tough choice, but in the end......

I'm not ready to put my 45tx out to pasture just yet. There were some interesting prospects, but I'm going to hold tight yet again.

·
The Village Idiot
9,715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach /forum/post/16954341

I was able to get out a couple of times this week. I think I saw just about everything there is to offer, and even a few I hadn't considered.

It was a tough choice, but in the end......

I'm not ready to put my 45tx out to pasture just yet. There were some interesting prospects, but I'm going to hold tight yet again.

Good move. What you have still works. Play hard to get and you'll find a sweet deal - and you'll know it when it finds you. That only happens to to those who have the patience.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/16935909

This is one of the ones I mentioned earlier. It will power those speakers easily plus some. Uses Audessey Multi EQ XT, well received and reviewed here and other places. From here it will fit your budget and comes with factory warranty.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...r-black/1.html

WOW that is a huge deal!
I love my 805 and that thing is even better with the Reon chip in it. Huge power reserves with that. I don't think the OP could do any better for that price.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes /forum/post/16957779

WOW that is a huge deal!
I love my 805 and that thing is even better with the Reon chip in it. Huge power reserves with that. I don't think the OP could do any better for that price.

Here's a review from playback magazine on the 876. Don't know if OP checked this one out or not, but that price from accessories4less is truly a bargain if you don't mind re-furbs. I just ordered a new one this week and it was $300 more. Should be receiving mine tomorrow. Took a long time deciding on what to get and decided this is the one for me.

http://playback.avguide.com/issue/16/163

1 - 12 of 12 Posts