AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

which receiver is best for paradigm speakers

508 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  GreatBop 
#1 ·
I'm planning to buy Paradigm reference Studio 80 or Studio 100 speakers for front, studioCC for center and STudio ADP for surround, and Servo15 Sub. I don't know how critical is it to match speakers with receiver/ amp.

I don;t have more than $1500 in my budget to buy receiver- i'm inclined towards HK- AVR7200. Can anone give me some advice , if they are compatible. How do I match the speakers?

I also thought about Rotel Pre/pro, but i won't have money left for Amp then.

Will Rotel pre/pro and amp be significantly better sounding than above HK?

#2 ·
Uh... If all you're planning is to do Home Theater.. the studio 60s will be more than enough for the job, powered by a 1000 dollar receiver like a Denon 3803.

If you're gonna go with s/100s or 80s.. you'll be needing so much much more power just to make them sing. You'll need to spend a little bit more to power those.. you need some serious amplification.

Give Anthem a consideration. www.anthemav.com

same company as Paradigm and Brystons.

#3 ·
Even the 60's will sound better with more power.....One other way you might want to consider is get a cheaper receiver like a Marantz SR4200 or Sony DA2ES and get a decent high-powered 5 channel amplifier....But just so you know, even Paradigm themselves recommend a 200W/channel amplifier to bring out the best in the 100's.....you can then get the pre/pro later down the road when you can afford it.

#4 ·
Mani,

You’re in the same boat I'm in. I did not want to spend the money up front for a Separate Pre-pro and amp. (Starting from zip on my HT) I went with the Rotel 1055 and plan on adding a Rotel 1095 in about six months. I currently have Paradigm Monitor 7 (main) CC-370 center and Reference SA-25 in-wall's in the rear. A MartinLogan Depth sub-woofer will be following me home next month.

While I was listening to different speakers on the 1055 I did get a chance to hear the Studio 60's and loved them. I was told by my sales guy that the 1095 would will really let the 60's open up. The reason I went with the Monitor's was to delay my final speaker selection. My local shop has a great trade in program during the first year. The speakers on my short list are the Studio 60/100's, MartinLogan Clarity, and the Thiel 1.6's.

So far the 1055 has been great, but every once in a while I find myself pushing it to the point where the effortless sound starts coming apart ever so slightly. But I am at a sound level that is unbelievable for an amp rated at 75 watts per channel. I now understand what people mean by "Rotel Watts Per Channel".

I look at the 1055 has the best value when you consider the upgrade path it offers. It has all the functionality of the RSP-1065 plus a AM/FM tuner.

I think you would be very happy with the 1055/Studio combo and still have the option to add an outboard amp at a later time.

Is it just me or do SACD's make everyone cry. :)

Regards,

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.