AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a lurker for a long time on this site and know this is the place to ask my question. I'll be getting my HT up and running in a few months and will have to replace my 8 year old Onkyo TX-919 receiver when I get my front projector . The thing is I'll probably move in the next 5-7 years and I plan to build a dedicated home theater room in the next house, not just a converted bonus room over the garage. Which of the newer receivers (Pioneer Elite VSX-49TX, Denon 5800, Onkyo TX-DS989) do you think will still be viable at that time? I'm pretty sure you can upgrade the software on the Onkyo, but how about the others? Thanks for the help

Reid

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I don't think there is such a thing as a future proof receiver.

First, I hate the term future proof (to me the only things future proof are ones that are already dead and thus have no worries about working in the future).

Second, although there are a couple of receivers that can be software upgraded (at least they talk the talk), the majority are designed to be only what they are. And likely in 5 years there will be several developments that dictate hardware changes.

If you're going to invest in a real theater, including a projector, you should seriously consider separates. They tend to be upgraded more and at the worst you retain the amplifiers even if you have to change the processor.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Honestly, I wouldn't hold my breath for upgradeability. From what I've seen, upgradability isn't paid much respect when it comes to receivers. That is, most of the flagships which promised upgradeability have been coming up short when it comes to delivering. Take the current case in point of the DPLII upgrade. You would think this is a relatively simple upgrade just requiring some new code. Unfortunately the majority of the "upgradeable" receivers have failed to deliver. The one exception is the Onkyo, but keep in mind this is a simple upgrade. What happens when higher resolution DAC's become available or when more input/outputs are needed, how about room correction capabilities? I bring these ideas up since they will probably occur within the 5 - 7 year time frame you mention.

That being said, I wouldn't purchase a receiver based on it's upgradeability, I'd rather buy what I find pleasing to my ear. If you like it today, you will probably like it tomorrow. Yeah, inevitably there will be better technology around the bend, but that's just the nature of electronics. Think of it this way, would you try to upgrade your 486 computer to perform like a P-IV of today?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good points, thanks for the reply.

Reid

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Yeah, I don't worry too much about upgradeability, things move much too fast. I just don't buy first-generation, or state-of-the-art stuff, so I don't lose much. It's only ht, after all. :)

My music-listening is almost exclusively on LP, so I stopped worrying about what's around the corner, the next great wheeze.

When I upgrade a piece, I give the old one to my brother. It makes him happy, so it makes me happy. If you want to try this yourself, I can gave you his address.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Captfluoro,

I bought a B&K 307 because I was told that it is hardware & software upgradable. It's a great receiver, but I choose B&K over Denon 5800 because of this feature.

But, I fail to investigate what upgradability means for B&K vs. what it means to me.

For example, B&K is now upgrading their previous model receiver (202) which is a 5 channel receiver, I beleive it is 3-4 years old.

So I don't have DP2, or DTS-ES, and I don't expect to have it for the next 3-4 years, but I want them now.

I'm dissapointed, but as I said above, it is my fault for not investigating.

Since B&K will take a few years to upgrade my receiver, will I be happy then?, who knows.

If I were to do it again, I would go with separates.

Good luck,

Carlos

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Carlos,

I expect the DPL-2 and DTS-ES upgrades will be available in early 2002, with an upgraded DSP board.

Rather than try to make the code work on the older generation DSPs, they are waiting on the new generation Motorola DSP, which includes these features.

I understand your dissatisaction, I've not been thrilled with the lack of upgrade, and more importantly with the lack of information.

Regards,

·
Registered
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by carlosrojas-pdx

If I were to do it again, I would go with separates
Then you would be in my boat. I have the Ref 30. Same thing. They are just now coming out with the upgrade for the ref 20.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.