AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there everybody,

I have just acquired some Focal Profile 918 Loudspeakers, and was wondering your opinions on which receiver to look at?

My current order in order of preference:

1. Onkyo TX-NR807

2. Marantz SR6004

3. Harman/Kardon AVR 360

4. Denon AVR-3310

Main reasons for this is price. I can get the Onkyo and Marantz for around the same price (~$1800), the H/K is much cheaper (~$1300) and the Denon is ~$2500. I'm hoping not to stretch to $2500, if so then a Yamaha V3900 is another option around that price.

I am thinking about the Onkyo as it has the most features and it seems to be the most powerful, until I get a power amp, for which it has the Preouts necessary.

The Marantz is the most musical sounding I think, but apparently there are a lot of HDMI issues etc, and power-wise it is a little lacking, but then again, when I add a power amp later on, it doesnt really matter.

Any opinions, advice?? With the Denon, it seems just a bit too expensive, is it really worth it for all that you get, and would you really pay $700 more for the AVR3310 than the NR807 Onkyo.

Please advise, I am going to listen to them all tomorrow, if anyone can provide advice, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Spentan

·
Registered
663 Posts
Where are you getting those prices from?

·
Registered
663 Posts
How much would an Onkyo HT-RC180 cost you? Its basically the same thing as the 807.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Marantz.

Regards,

Brian

·
Registered
663 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spentan /forum/post/18221683

We don't get the RC180 here in Aus, It seems to be a usa only model?

That sucks. Onkyo with Denon a very close second.

·
Registered
15,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spentan /forum/post/18221683

We don't get the RC180 here in Aus, It seems to be a usa only model?

There may be a different model number used for a receiver with the same features. The local radio transmission frequencies may be different enough that the tuners have to be different in Oz, so they'd use a different model number to distinguish them from receivers configured for other countries. Power supply differences would be another reason.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have a h/k 354, a little brother to the 3600 and still can't get over the sound quality even after a year and half!

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
I'd steer clear of the Marantz X004 series. Too many "pops of death" for my liking. Did you mean H/K 3600 instead of the 360? For the money, unless you are going to use either the wides or heights on the 3310, it would seem the 807 is the best buy. I realize the 3310 has a better video processor in it than the 807, but its problably not any better than the one in your display. It seems most people set their AVR's to passthrough anyway. I'd give the 3310 and the 807 a good workout and then determine if the 3310 is worth the extra cash to you. It may have all the features and sound you like and may be worth the extra money. Either of these two will give you the pre-outs if you should decide to add an amp later.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the advice on the marantz. Warranty support here is relatively good, but with the rated outputs of the onkyo/denon, and price of the onkyo, yeh it looks like the nr807 is the best of the lot.

The other option is an onkyo tx-sr876, there is a demo model avail here for about 2k (bit more than the 807.

Is it worth buying the demo 876? Lots of reviews say it's a much better receiver in general, has the hcv video chip and thx ultra cert. Also has dual hdmi out and power ratings are better. No network features and no pliiZ, which I hardly think I'll use anyway

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spentan /forum/post/18228897

Thanks for the advice on the marantz. Warranty support here is relatively good, but with the rated outputs of the onkyo/denon, and price of the onkyo, yeh it looks like the nr807 is the best of the lot.

The other option is an onkyo tx-sr876, there is a demo model avail here for about 2k (bit more than the 807.

Is it worth buying the demo 876? Lots of reviews say it's a much better receiver in general, has the hcv video chip and thx ultra cert. Also has dual hdmi out and power ratings are better. No network features and no pliiZ, which I hardly think I'll use anyway

I have the 876, so I'm biased. But IMO it is a much better buy than the 807. Look at 876 closely, its problably worth the price they are asking for it. Will you get the full warranty for it? Also check the firmware version on it. 1.04 seems to be the best to use for now. There is a dedicated thread for that also here. Between those two my choice would be the 876 easily. 52 lbs. of power and easy to use. Very flexible AVR.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts