AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

I m in process to look for a good receiver that costs up to $600. I already purchased 5.1 speaker system, so now I need to get a receiver. I know I can get some information from here, but sometimes it felt overwhelmed to go through this research ( I m learning a lot
) and plus it will be my first receiver. So far, I am leaning down to two receivers:

Onkyo 706 or Denon 2309.

I understand that Onkyo intents to overheat easily compared to Denon, but I assumed Onkyo 706 has more features and cheaper compated to Denon 2309. Again, I assume Denon is a better receiver, right? I can get either this receiver for less than $600.

From my understanding, is Onkyo 706 almost equilvalent to Denon 2809? I love to get the 2809, but it's too much for my budget.

Any suggestion welcomes.

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
487 Posts
FYI - heat "issue" is not an issue. I think this post sums it up well...

Quote:
by Stephen Hopkins

That's the first mention of the SR606 I've seen in this thread...

For what Onkyos offer in the price/performance and price/feature ratio, I'd say they are well worth the possibility that it MIGHT run hot in your setup and you MIGHT have to add some cooling or re-arrange the location. You don't hear major complaints of heat issues with high-end A-Biased AB Amps, but I guarantee you it's not because they don't run hot... it's because those users understand that heat is a byproduct of the design and amount of power those amps produce. The design and amount of power the SR805/875/876/905/906 produce are new to the sub-$1000 receiver market... if you're upgrading from a $300, or even an older $1000 receiver the heat associated with the design and power produced is going to be new to you... and we're always afraid of what we don't understand.

Could a more robust cooling design keep the SR805 and up from running as hot as they do? Yes. Is the heat they generate unusual for their design and the amount of power they produce? No.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry for the double post, but I saw this one later and didnt see the need in opening a new thread.

I'm also one of the many who are considering to buy the Onkyo 706 or the Denon 2309. On another forum I already got some great respond wether to go for the Onkyo or the Denon. However I'm still not convinced of either of the 2 for my decision. Here are my 'beliefs' of the pros of both receivers:

onkyo 706

+ nicer design

+ up to 250ms delay

+ neutral sound

+ user friendly installation and GUI on TV

+ more options in set-up

denon 2309

+ auto lip sync and up to 200ms manually

+ bigger OSD

+ not so hot

+ Audyssey Dynamic Volume

I need the lip-sync feature cause I have a Philips 9603 LCD. So the biggest cons of the 706 are it runs hotter and that you can set lip-sync on + add. 100ms (Denon). So if here are people who know additional pros/cons (not fanboys) would be really helpful.

·
Registered
799 Posts
This is a tuff call. There are a few things I would consider before I purchased either one of these.

I would look at Pioneer ELite. In my opinion, the 01/03 sound better then both Onkyo and Denon. I prefer the warm but more dynamic sound of the elite. The Elite is also rock solid like the Onkyo. Denon's tend to fail. There QC is not what it used to be. Shame 2 as I used to really like Denon.

Now if you can swing it and if you have a dealer near you, I heard the Pioneer ELite sc05 is going on sale. I'd find out something about that. I heard it's in the month of March only. This receiver is one killer nice piece. But this maybe out of your price range even with the sale.

Onkyo is rock solid , they tend to have a excellent Qualtiy control. Compared to Denon, this is a home run but....

the sound quality is not as good as the Denon IMO. It's bright thin and foward. I don't care for it at all. It's nice with features and all but I'm a sound quality first ask questions later kinda guy.

The Denon sounds great. But as said Quality control is terrible. They break down a lot. Features nothing out classes a Denon at any price. You get a ton for your money. Be careful what kind of speakers you run on it as it runs out of gas quick. Dynamic range is not it's strong point and if you use speakers that require more current, you will not like it at all.

good luck with your purchase. It's fun and exciting to get a new receiver.

Dan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Pioneer is not my favorite brand. What do you mean with: Onkyo is rock solid , they tend to have a excellent Qualtiy control. Compared to Denon, this is a home run but.... the sound quality is not as good as the Denon IM

The 2809 is a little over my budget. So the sound of the Denon is better then the 706? How about the user interface of the Denon? Is it really that hard to set it up?

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
How about the user interface of the Denon? Is it really that hard to set it up?

Opinions will differ but I have no problem with the Denon interface at all. I have the 2809 and it was easy to setup everything I needed.

I have also had Onkyo, Yahama and Pioneer. They all have their quirks!

btw, I do not care about OSD graphics like some do and I do not care about having Volume overlay on my TV either.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Onkyo is rock solid , they tend to have a excellent Qualtiy control. Compared to Denon, this is a home run but....

I read so many more problems online about Onkyo then Denon so I would subjectively say Onkyo has worse quality control.

Do you have a link to support your opinion on the QA question?

Other then that the whole debate about which AVR is thin/full/detailed is more about a persons setup then any AVR. I can make ANY AVR sound the way I like it too.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
In regards to denon's QC- I have worked for various dealers for the last 10 years and all have sold denon. While not perfect, almost all issues (not all but most) were related to self installs and people that didn't use any type of speaker wire ends, just bare wire. Not that bare wire is bad but it leaves a ton of room for human error with the small and close connectors on the back of most receivers these days (especially lower priced units) and the two wires touching = shorting. If you took this issue away, denon's hardly ever came in for service.

Also, for many of my clients, the dynamic volume this year (most settled on the 'evening' setting) is a huge factor and made denon a very clear choice.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/15941565

I read so many more problems online about Onkyo then Denon so I would subjectively say Onkyo has worse quality control.

Do you have a link to support your opinion on the QA question?

Other then that the whole debate about which AVR is thin/full/detailed is more about a persons setup then any AVR. I can make ANY AVR sound the way I like it too.

I never had a problem with my Onkyo...my last Denon had many problems. Does that mean that Onkyo is better then Denon...no. It is a debate of diminishing returns

1 - 10 of 10 Posts