AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend that will sell me his used Yamaha RX-V2500 for $400. This receiver is about 4 years old from what the website states and it orginally went for $1095 according to the Yamaha website. Anyway I was wondering foro that price would I be better off getting a new receiver with HDMI inputs? Would a newer receiver have better internal components. I can't afford more than $400 right now and I think this is a good deal since I don't think I would ever spend $1000 on a new receiver. Having that 2nd zone would be nice as well. But, with technology these days a $1000 receiver a couple years ago doesn't match the quality of say $500 receiver today. I'm torn and need advice, thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I wouldn't consider this person a friend if they are "giving" it to you for $400. $1095 was MSRP. Nobody pays msrp! I'll bet you can still find NOS for around $400. That being said, this receiver is a great sounding audio component. Obviously no HDMI but does have comp video, so you can pass 720p. A friend would sell for around $250 that's blue book value. Sorry, but your friend's not sitting on a pot o'gold.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
That seems too expensive. I paid $200 for my V995 last year, but in the $400 range you can get better non-HDMI receivers, like an NAD, or even an HDMI Marantz 5002. He's certainly not giving you a 'deal.'

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I sold my Yamaha RX-V2700 (2 years used) for $400. So I can't say a 2500 for $400 is a good deal. The RX-V2700 added a fair amount of functionality over the 2500, so you might want to look for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts