AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got to believe that not all DirecTV receivers were created equal, so, does anyone know where I can find a good comprehensive comparison of the features, etc of all different DTV receivers? I'm the kind of person who wants to make the most informed decision possible, so I'm looking for details down to number and types of a/v outputs (like does it have an optical AC-3 output so I can make a digital connection to my receiver), and other info like internal software features, quality reviews (if there is a difference in quality), and whatever other info I can get my hands on.

Thanks

Scott

AirlineMuseum.com

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
 Here's a link to a fairly good list/chart. Click on the DirectTV comparison chart link on the top right hand side of the page.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I would suggest a DirecTiVo. Its a dual tuner PVR, with DD out and is relativaly inexpensive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Jay Shem
I would suggest a DirecTiVo. Its a dual tuner PVR, with DD out and is relativaly inexpensive.
I used to love my DirecTiVo. LOVE IT. But it died after only 3 months. I have the DTV Protection Plan, but be warned --- they don't have any more DirecTiVos or UltimateTV receivers to give as replacements - it's on backorder, and they don't know how long it will be.

Instead, I had them send me a Hughes Executive Director (GCEB0) ... for a non-PVR, it's fantastic ... I really like the functionality of the guide, remote, turbo button, etc... I recommend it.

That being said, I'm not sure I can recommend the DirecTiVo machines anymore. Over on tivocommunity.com you see a LOT of failures on these receivers - be they Hughes, Philips, or Sony models. Mine was a Philips.

-matt

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I've begun to hear or read rumors about the next generation of STB's which are due to come out after July probably up through December.

Problem is, I've have not read any specifics except that the new (H)DTV STB's will have DVI.

For standard STB's look for Component Outputs to be on the better models.

THE TiVo question ?

I also wish TiVo would add Ethernet or at least USB 2.0 instead of the ol' USB but, they seem to be soaking up some money and not really trying all that hard to improve their models.

Check out TiVo II (SA) vs the newer Sonic Blue 4000 or 4500 series. They make TiVo looks like it's standing still.

... and where is the new DirecTiVo II, anyway ???

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dmon4u

Check out TiVo II (SA) vs the newer Sonic Blue 4000 or 4500 series. They make TiVo looks like it's standing still.

True, but the SonicBlue Replay boxes are much more expensive than the TiVo Series 2, right?

-matt

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dmon4u
... and where is the new DirecTiVo II, anyway ???
The DTiVo2's should be out in mid summer

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
For Stand Alone (SA) model with Service

TiVO II 40 hour = $550, 60 hour = $650

SonicBlue 40 hour = $700, 80 hour = $1,000

The SonicBlue includes a key features like Ethernet this allows many computer-like functions. Check there web site.

My favorite is the ability to put one in every room and then share recordings through the Ethernet. For $150, the Ethernet provides other key features that the TiVo (SA) can't match. I have a real problem with the USB not being 2.0 on the newer TiVo's. I wonder if the new DirecTiVo will provide Component outs.

This is all great for Cable but, DirecTiVo still provides the best quality recordings for DBS and two tuners.

AND - A four or five second delay when changing channels on a DBS STB utilizing the SonicBlue is just unacceptable ( that is, if you must Surf ).

I would not even consider the SonicBlue if D* ever gave me my LiL.

Life is nothing but trade-off's................. Rambling on and on and on and on

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Quote:
wonder if the new DirecTiVo will provide Component outs.
It would be cool, but RCA is the only mfg that plans on adding component out to SD boxes, to my knowledge.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.