AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A time that most of us have come to enjoy has finally come 'round for me. My Sony 444ES receiver is on its last legs and I need a replacement to help get rid of some of my cable mess. I'd like to upgrade to the latest HD theater audio and video support. I've always been a fan of the Sony ES series but my research of late has left many questions on which way to go to accomodate my many needs so please feel free to suggest any brand that would fit the bill.

Here are the components I have and the connections they require. I'd ideally like to be able to plug them all into the receiver and have just a single HDMI cable go to my TV (Sony 60A3000).

PS3 - HDMI (Yes I know it doesn't do bitstream for the HD audio types)

TiVO Dual Tuner - Svideo (capable of composite but I'd prefer a cleaner picture if possible)

DVD player - HDMI (only upscales to 1080i)

Wii - Component cables

Possible future component: Stand alone Blu-ray player.

As you can see I have 3 video connection requirements which isn't a problem until you get to Svideo. It seems the lines of AVRs Ive checked out no longer have Svideo inputs so Im wondering if I should try to find an Svideo to component cable and go that route.

My price range is $800 though cheaper is always nice. I have 5 matched M&K bookshelf 75s that like to run 4ohms for my center channel and the 4 corners. They can handle 200 watts rms max and 10 rms minimum and a MK MX-105 dual 12inch sub. Yes the speakers are a bit overkill but I got them years ago for a great price.

Please fire off your suggestions I really could use some direction.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Most AVRs do, in fact, still offer S-Video inputs (with Sony being an exception). The Denon AVR-2309, Onkyo 706; 806, or Yamaha RX-V863 are a few AVRs that would meet your requirements.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
A refurbished Onkyo SR876 would be just outside of your price range and would go a long way towards making your SD Tivo and Wii more enjoyable, especially if you have a large display (front projection). The SR875 can be had refurbished within your price range, but it's Reon implementation has a bug that forces stretch of 4:3 material which might not be the best for your SD Tivo.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Most AVRs do, in fact, still offer S-Video inputs (with Sony being an exception). The Denon AVR-2309, Onkyo 706; 806, or Yamaha RX-V863 are a few AVRs that would meet your requirements.

And out of those which do you think would do the best analog-to-digital conversion and HDMI switching?

Quote:
What, you don't want to move to HD Tivo?

Of course I do! Unfortunately I don't have HD cable service in the area that isn't a friggin ripoff. Once I get fiber tv I may very well look into HD Tivo.

Quote:
A refurbished Onkyo SR876 would be just outside of your price range and would go a long way towards making your SD Tivo and Wii more enjoyable, especially if you have a large display (front projection). The SR875 can be had refurbished within your price range, but it's Reon implementation has a bug that forces stretch of 4:3 material which might not be the best for your SD Tivo.

Interesting. Do we typically trust refurb'd AVRs these days? This is a new concept for me in the home theater arena? My TV is a rear projection 60 inch which can look a bit bleh with poor composite, 480i signals.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I guess what's more important than if "we" trust refurbs is do "you" trust refurbs. If not, that's understandable and not necessarily a position without merit. I do, however, trust them when purchased from an authorized dealer and especially when they include more than a 90 day warranty. Refurb and open-box items have allowed me to save extensively or buy gear that would have otherwise been outside of my price bracket. I have had zero problems with refurb items over the years (though open-box items I can't speak as highly of, though I still buy them).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins /forum/post/15546548

I guess what's more important than if "we" trust refurbs is do "you" trust refurbs. If not, that's understandable and not necessarily a position without merit. I do, however, trust them when purchased from an authorized dealer and especially when they include more than a 90 day warranty. Refurb and open-box items have allowed me to save extensively or buy gear that would have otherwise been outside of my price bracket. I have had zero problems with refurb items over the years (though open-box items I can't speak as highly of, though I still buy them).

Is there a place online to look for authorized reseller refurb'd devices? Unfortunately I am no where near a reputable A/V dealer and would probably have to do my purchasing online.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
The only Acurus A200 (roughly equivalent to the XPA-3) that was less than the XPA-3 has already sold. From B&K there's an older TX4430 for the same price. With price being equal, I'd buy new with warranty from a reputable company over used without from an individual.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts