AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a choice between a Pioneer SC35, Onkyo NR3008 or Denon 4311CI. This will be a gift so price doesn't play a role here. I'm looking for owners of these units or the well informed to help me choose. I'm looking for which will sound best with 7.1 setup. I know everyone has their own opinion but in the end there can be only one. So which is it? I'm also running definitive tech bi-polars all around.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I would take the Denon 4311. I was hoping to get one but it never came down in my price range. Most 4311 owners seem to be extremely happy with the 4311 and XT32. I did a lot of reading about it to try to convince myself to pony up the money for it. In the end the 3311 was enough for me and I couldn't pay 3 times as much for the 4311. If you get the 3008 or 5008 as a gift make sure they give you the receipt because you will have a good chance of having to send to Onkyo for repairs.

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
No, you do NOT have a "good chance" of returning it for repairs(see the failure thread)...

According to Onkyo/Integra, the 40-pin problem affects less than 15% of the total production run of receivers. The 800# is(or was if they've changed it) set-up for your serial number first...

It then tells you if yours falls with-in the "known range". Even if it falls out of the "known range", it is still covered FOREVER.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023 /forum/post/20772106

I would take the Denon 4311. I was hoping to get one but it never came down in my price range. Most 4311 owners seem to be extremely happy with the 4311 and XT32. I did a lot of reading about it to try to convince myself to pony up the money for it. In the end the 3311 was enough for me and I couldn't pay 3 times as much for the 4311. If you get the 3008 or 5008 as a gift make sure they give you the receipt because you will have a good chance of having to send to Onkyo for repairs.

Hello,

I think that is a bit of an overstatement. If you look at the 3008/5008 Owners Threads you will see that there are not very many that have needed Repair. I really think that Failure Thread has skewed the perception about the number of AVR's affected.

Moreover, the 3008 offers 4 Power Transformers and a THX Ultra2 Plus Certified Amplifier Section, along with also having MultEQ XT32.

Cheers,

AD

·
Registered
2,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork /forum/post/20772277

Hello,

I think that is a bit of an overstatement. If you look at the 3008/5008 Owners Threads you will see that there are not very many that have needed Repair. I really think that Failure Thread has skewed the perception about the number of AVR's affected.

Moreover, the 3008 offers 4 Power Transformers and a THX Ultra2 Plus Certified Amplifier Section, along with also having MultEQ XT32.

Cheers,

AD

Even if it did, there should not be that many post on a failure thread. I don't see any other brand that has that much of a problem. I just can't see recommending the 08 series to anyone. I don't know if Onkyo is paying the shipping to have them sent in for repair but even if they are it would suck to be without your receiver just months after getting it. Weather its 15% or 50% I know I wouldn't advise someone to buy an 08 Onkyo. The Denon 4311 is a much better choice in my opinion. I wouldn't even risk buying a 09 series Onkyo. What's strange to me is that everybody turned on Marantz during the 04 series POD incident but Onkyo has a problem and people are still recommending them. I just don't get it.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023 /forum/post/20772439

Even if it did, there should not be that many post on a failure thread. I don't see any other brand that has that much of a problem. I just can't see recommending the 08 series to anyone. I don't know if Onkyo is paying the shipping to have them sent in for repair but even if they are it would suck to be without your receiver just months after getting it. Weather its 15% or 50% I know I wouldn't advise someone to buy an 08 Onkyo. The Denon 4311 is a much better choice in my opinion. I wouldn't even risk buying a 09 series Onkyo. What's strange to me is that everybody turned on Marantz during the 04 series POD incident but Onkyo has a problem and people are still recommending them. I just don't get it.

Hello,

You cannot even find a Marantz AV7005 and the SR7005 has received excellent Reviews and has been quite popular so I do not think Marantz's reputation was that badly damaged.

Fact is the x08 are actually a safer bet than earlier HDMI Onkyo AVR Series in that the Problem has been diagnosed, the Repair will be Covered regardless of Warranty Status, where it was purchased, whether you are even the original owner, etc. In addition, the HDMI Boards on the x08 Series have been far less problematic than earlier generations and that is a Repair that out of Warranty costs more than the AVR is worth.

Cheers,

AD

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
The "failure thread" problem is known. There are posts/threads all over the net telling/showing people how to fix the issue, or just look inside themselves.

I took the cover off of my DHC 80.2(with the blessing of Integra) and looked inside. Mine has no "excess PSB", the 40-pin has no spray over.

I've already priced the problem to fix it...The repair(if mine ever needs it) costs less than shipping it.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork /forum/post/20772660

Hello,

You cannot even find a Marantz AV7005 and the SR7005 has received excellent Reviews and has been quite popular so I do not think Marantz's reputation was that badly damaged.

Fact is the x08 are actually a safer bet than earlier HDMI Onkyo AVR Series in that the Problem has been diagnosed, the Repair will be Covered regardless of Warranty Status, where it was purchased, whether you are even the original owner, etc. In addition, the HDMI Boards on the x08 Series have been far less problematic than earlier generations and that is a Repair that out of Warranty costs more than the AVR is worth.

Cheers,

AD

Marantz did a good job on the 05 series but no one was recommending the 04 series back when the pop of death issue was going on. I'm not sure if the 7005 shortage is due to the Japan production issues or popularity but the 7005 is a very nice receiver. I know as I have a Denon 3311 which has a lot of the same components as the 7005.

It is sad that with the number of failures the 08 series, it is more safe than the previous years. I don't see any other major CE company having as many issues as Onkyo. The Marantz POD thing was only 1 year. The Denon network card thing was only 1 year and it only affected the networking. Onkyo has had noting but issues since the 06 series. I will continue to point out that Onkyo's are just not as reliable as the receivers from Pioneer, Yamaha and Denon. It gets me in a lot of arguments with Onkyo fans (mainly Schan) but people still need to be aware before they purchase a new receiver. If they still want the Onkyo I'm fine with that. I just think that when there is an issue like that people should be warned so they can make an educated decision. If they still want the Onkyo, more power to them. I would rather lose a feature or two to get a more reliable receiver. That's just me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.