Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting one of the following, all of them are $260-320:

denon avr-1906 refurb

yamaha rx-v3000 obviously used

harman kardon avr-430 almost new

marantz sr4600 new

I am/will be running klipsch reference 3 series. They all support virtually the same stuff, except the yammie is 6.1 and has no pro logic II. I'm not in need of any kind of ipod/internet/video switching etc. Supported formats and sq are my major goals. What would you guys recommend and why please

I'm leaning on the denon or hk right now, but just because the yamaha is older and I'm not getting any kind of "deal" on the marantz. Still open for any of them. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I've owned both yamaha and marantz,marantz all the way.No experience with the HK.That being said i dont know how those particular rec. match up directly in comparison.If you like all the bells and whistles then the yamaha would have the edge,otherwise for sound quality i would opt for the marantz.The speakers your using may also come in to play as far which would be the best for you.For example i've always experienced that yamaha sound brite vs the warm sound of marantz.In other words you have klipsch speakers so i would'nt use the yamaha unless you like the brite sound.

·
Registered
29,326 Posts

Quote:
I'm leaning on the denon or hk right now, but just because the yamaha is older and I'm not getting any kind of "deal" on the marantz.

If the marantz has all the features you need, why not go with it? Plus as a new unit it comes with 3 year mfrs warranty.

Klispch are considered "bright". I know they'll sound good with the HK and Marantz. Haven't heard Denon and Yamaha with them.

I'm a HK man myself and I like the seperate crossover feature the HK has for Front, Center, Surround and Surround back speakers. Plus it has Logic 7 in addition to Dolby IIx and all the other sound modes.

Will your Klipsch be all bookshelves and a center or will you have floorstanders too?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rf-3 mains, rc-3 center, rs-3 surrounds, and rs-3 or rb-3 rear surrounds.

The only reason I haven't already bought the marantz is because of its published power consumption at 314watts. The hk is rated at 65wpch and has a published power consuption of 915w at power. That breaks down to an actual power of 115ish. The marantz's power consumption is only 314w. Thats 40 ish a channel, if that rating is under full power. If anyone knows more about those numbers, I'd like to know. Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.