AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a new AV receiver with HDMI 1.3 switching, and suupport for the new surround formats. In addition, I want to add a player such as one of the Oppos to be able to listen the the high resolution audio formats SACD, DVD audio and HDCD. I am not clear on the best way to configure the system to hear these audio formats, and what to look for in a new receiver.

Is there a receiver that can decode all of these formats via the HDMI input? Does PCM vs DSD make a difference? Do any of the high resolution audio formats force me to use the analog connections?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I don't know about the Oppos, but my DVD player with DVD audio and HDMI cannot output multi-channel DVD Audio over HDMI, only analog.

It's more convenient if the player supports DVD audio over HDMI.

Some players may stream DSD over HDMI, which was possible as of HDMI 1.2. I have no idea about how the Oppos work with DSD though.

I would guess the Yamaha 1800/3800 can decode all of the above. My RX-V2700, the previous generation in that price point can handle HDMI/DSD, but I have never been able to try it out. I am sure there are other receivers as well that support that.

That all being said, DVD Audio and SACD both seem pretty dead. Maybe Blu-ray audio will get some support in the future.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
The Yamaha 1800 Micheal mentioned covers everything you want, and will accept a native DSD bitstream for SACD. All via HDMI.

The cheaper Yamaha 661 deals with DVD-A/SACD(DSD) the same way (accepts native DSD), but doesn't have the advanced-codec decoders (for use with decoding players, like PS3).

The Oppo 980 will send DVD-A as LPCM, and SACD as DSD over HDMI. It lists HDCD compatibility, although that's not really "hi-rez", still 16/44 cd.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all of you for the information.

So is it only the Yamaha models that support DSD, or do some of the other as well? In particular, I am considering Integra and NAD.

My current receiver is an old Yamaha RX-V995, and it has been a good performer.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
The higher Onkyos do, so I'd guess the Integras would. No idea about NAD.

The ability to accept native DSD is not something I'd base a decision on, honestly, unless it was really close. Some also convert to PCM internally anyway, you've got to check owner's manuals for particulars on what they do with DSD.

·
Registered
321 Posts
The Pioneer 94 handles DSD via HDMI without PCM conversion in its pure direct mode. It can also take DSD via HDMI and internally convert to PCM.

·
UHD Addict
38,212 Posts
The Denon 3808 handles DSD over HDMI. Using the OPPO with my Denon sounds much much better than when SACD was converted to pcm first when I used a Denon3806.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts