AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
I have used the 5200 and I was not all that impressed. It is a good receiver with 3 hdmi inputs. The surround seems very harsh to me. At 1500 and 2000 for those two models I dont think they are worth the price. Look at the pioneer 84 or the yamaha 2700 or the denon. I think you will be much happier with the likes of these models. I bought the 84 pioneer and not the others for the 4 hdmi inputs. You might ask why you need 4,

blu-ray

denon dvd

computer

satellite.

Just like that you need a receiver with 4 inputs.

I was also the owner of a flagship sony da7es until last year. It was built like a tank and i had no problems but the sound out of it was just not right for my listening.

The 7100 only has 2 hdmi also. That right there is a big deturrent for me.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Why buy a Sony receiver when you can go with Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer, Harmon Kardon, etc. I can understand buying Sony TVs but receivers? No thanks.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck21 /forum/post/0

Why buy a Sony receiver when you can go with Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer, Harmon Kardon, etc. I can understand buying Sony TVs but receivers? No thanks.

Agreed...what is your budget would be a better question we would ask to help you. I have a Pioneer 81 vsx with Hdmi upconversion but, If and when I can afford it I will be getting a Yamaha 2700...I have always loved Yamaha AVR's.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
According to the web page only the 84 model does 1080p. The 81 and 2 are only 1080i. Just something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck21 /forum/post/0

Even though I have an HK receiver, that's a very ignorant statement. The ES line is solid and competes very well with all of those you listed.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurboZX /forum/post/0

Even though I have an HK receiver, that's a very ignorant statement. The ES line is solid and competes very well with all of those you listed.

Competes yes.

The companies listed above are all on the same level and only compete with each other.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Aquilino /forum/post/0

In my opinion Sony Es Receivers are as good or better than any of the above mentioned

avr's.I also think that the build quality and feel of their receivers are better also.

Thats cool. The Industry says something very different thats all I am saying.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by deez /forum/post/0

Agreed...what is your budget would be a better question we would ask to help you. I have a Pioneer 81 vsx with Hdmi upconversion but, If and when I can afford it I will be getting a Yamaha 2700...I have always loved Yamaha AVR's.

Interesting you should mention the Yamaha. I ordered one early last year only to be disappointed with a dead power source on arrival. I really had my mind set one having one for my HT system however I happened on a going-out-of- business sale at my local stereo store (good guys). I picked up a Sony STR-Da5000es floor model for less than half the msrp. I only bought it as a temporary substitute till I ordered the yamaha I really wanted. After living with it for a week I was surprised at the quality and feel, not to mention the 19 sound fields it comes with. I think the reason I decided to stay with it was because I liked the fact that it was a good HT receiver since it's a home theater system I'm building and not a music system.....that's a seperate project to be tackled at a later date. If you can suggest a better home theater receiver I'd like to hear it.

For now my video system is comprised with a Sony STR-Da5000es, Sony 42" lcd, 92" da-lite contour electric screen, projector sony pearl. Again, this is a home theater system focused on bang for the buck.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenG /forum/post/0

Interesting you should mention the Yamaha. I ordered one early last year only to be disappointed with a dead power source on arrival. I really had my mind set one having one for my HT system however I happened on a going-out-of- business sale at my local stereo store (good guys). I picked up a Sony STR-Da5000es floor model for less than half the msrp. I only bought it as a temporary substitute till I ordered the yamaha I really wanted. After living with it for a week I was surprised at the quality and feel, not to mention the 19 sound fields it comes with. I think the reason I decided to stay with it was because I liked the fact that it was a good HT receiver since it's a home theater system I'm building and not a music system.....that's a seperate project to be tackled at a later date. If you can suggest a better home theater receiver I'd like to hear it.

For now my video system is comprised with a Sony STR-Da5000es, Sony 42" lcd, 92" da-lite contour electric screen, projector sony pearl. Again, this is a home theater system focused on bang for the buck.

I am not an expert by any means more of an end user. I would be interested to know if you ordered from an authorized Yamaha dealer or not??

This is very Important as most Manufacturers(especially Pioneer)will not honor warranty If you buy from unauthorized resellers.

I will say this, tha Yamaha 2700 has been reviewed at audiohlics.com and they really liked It and so do I. One thing, Yamaha's usually fill the bill with both music and movies.

·
Registered
958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenG /forum/post/0

I'm picking up a blue ray soon and would like to couple it with good reciever....any experience with either of these two units?

I heard both the 5200 & 7100es, and the latter is much better. The 5200 selling point is it's video processing, but that is very limited by it's Genesis 7638 chip. 1080p output, yes, but it can only only upscale ANALOGUE inputs!

Didn't tell you that, did they? The 7100 has genuinely good audio, and I recommend it every time (except for driving impossible-to-drive speakers).

Nick

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
I have the PS3 connected through my 5200es,sounds amazing.I did get a great deal on the 5200,so that did help,I wouldn't have paid $1500 on ANY receiver.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbs47 /forum/post/0

I have the PS3 connected through my 5200es,sounds amazing.I did get a great deal on the 5200,so that did help,I wouldn't have paid $1500 on ANY receiver.

It is for this reason the Sony IS there.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Ruben, beyond just basic feature comparison, your final choice of the receiver model/brand should be determined at your home. Depending on what speakers you have, some receivers might be better than others. Do not listen to those who make absolute statements like "xxx receiver is too bright" or "too muddy" etc. The resulting audio quality is always determined by how well the receivers match your speakers' capabilities. Try getting a couple of receivers to try them out. Some stores would allow you to do that. A couple of years ago I went through this: I brought a Pio Elite, a Denon and a Panasonic receiver. After some comparison in my home with my speakers (Klipsch Reference) I chose the Tenon. Does it mean that Denon was absolutely better that the other two? Perhaps not, but it matched my speakers better.

·
Registered
Onkyo TX-NR5009, AppleTV 4K, Sony KDL-55W900A, M&K s-125 lcr, M&K SS-150 surround, SVS 16-46pci sub
788 Posts
Do not listen to the guy who is telling you to get H/K. They do not support multichannel PCM audio of HDMI. The 84txsi has the LFE problem until it is fixed. The only one I would consider is Denon since they do what they are supposed to do with the HDMI audio.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TauRus /forum/post/0

Ruben, beyond just basic feature comparison, your final choice of the receiver model/brand should be determined at your home. Depending on what speakers you have, some receivers might be better than others. Do not listen to those who make absolute statements like "xxx receiver is too bright" or "too muddy" etc. The resulting audio quality is always determined by how well the receivers match your speakers' capabilities. Try getting a couple of receivers to try them out. Some stores would allow you to do that. A couple of years ago I went through this: I brought a Pio Elite, a Denon and a Panasonic receiver. After some comparison in my home with my speakers (Klipsch Reference) I chose the Tenon. Does it mean that Denon was absolutely better that the other two? Perhaps not, but it matched my speakers better.

TauRus,

You make a valid point in regards to matching a receiver to ones own speakers and ultimately ones own home. Thank's for your opinion.

~Ruben

·
Registered
708 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madkaw /forum/post/0

According to the web page only the 84 model does 1080p. The 81 and 2 are only 1080i. Just something to keep in mind.

You read that wrong.

The 81 and 82 only UPSCALE to 1080i.

They can pass a 1080p signal no problem.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deez /forum/post/0

Thats cool. The Industry says something very different thats all I am saying.

Not when your talking about the 7100ES. Sony did it right with the 7100ES. Every once in a while Sony will put out a great receiver. Now the 5200ES, in my opinion, is back to the usual Sony receiver crap.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.