AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to stay around $700-$800 for everything (reciever, sub, speakers).

The room it is going in is approximately 12X15, but will eventually end up in a slightly larger room.

It will be used for 80% TV/DVD, 20% Music.

How would you spend my $7-800?

·
Registered
731 Posts
I think the reason you are receiving no responses is because this question is asked 10 times a dya here. Just watch this forum and you will get an idea what people recommend. And *most* importantly there a lot of speaker makers out there and everyone's ears and tastes are different. Go to stores and listen....

Good luck

T

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
If this is a poll question, then there are probably 10 ways I could spend that money...

I mean if it was your $7-800...I'd just pocket it : P

·
Registered
967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumperxr69
I think the reason you are receiving no responses is because this question is asked 10 times a dya here. Just watch this forum and you will get an idea what people recommend.
Well that, and the fact that $700 - $800 is a very small budget if you want anything worth listening to. You're pretty much limited to either a HTiB (yech) or something like the Pioneer SA-XR55K receiver ($229 from Amazon), a Dayton sub from PartsExpress dot com (can't post a link here, they're around $120 for a 12"), and a cheap set of speakers. Stretch your budget a bit and you could pick up the new 5.0 set of SBS-01s from SVS (svsound.com). Haven't heard them yet (almost no one has) but I pre-ordered a pair and I'm sure they're going to rock. Take a couple hours to read this forum like the rest of us do, and you'll have so many speaker recommendations you won't believe it.

How would I spend your $700 - $800? I'd buy myself a nice pair of Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SEs! :D

·
Registered
967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrallite
I'd personally split that up between an Ascend CBM-170SE and a Hsu STF-2 : P
Nice choices, but I already have an SVS PB10-ISD and a Hsu VTF-2 Mk 2 so I'm all set for subs! :D

·
Registered
724 Posts
Yes, while people here think that $800 doesn't get you much, if you're smart about looking for deals, etc, you can get some decent deals and get a pretty good sounding entry level system.

Try looking for a good deal on an entry level receiver from Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha or Marantz. Denon recently had the AVR485s for $129 - $149 in various stores on clearance.

You could pair that with something like a CSW basscube 12:

http://cgi.*********/Cambridge-Sound...QQcmdZViewItem

for about $150 - $175. While it may not be an SVS, it's no slouch by any means.

That leaves about $500 for speakers. You can do well looking around for deals for $500 for 5 speakers.

Look at Klipsch, Cambridge Soundworks, PSB, Paradigm, NHT, JBL, Infinity, etc. You can easily piece together speakers from these (and other) manufacturers that will sound quite good.

While a system like this may not meet the approval of people here, I think you could piece together quite a nice system that you'd be satisfied with.

If you look on craigslist/ebay, you can do even better purchasing used.

Good luck!

·
Registered
63 Posts
2x pair AS-B1's at audioadvisor $200

1x AS-C1 $!00

Dayton 12" sub ~$120

Leaves you $3-400 for a reciever

Edit: Or spend less on reciever more on sub like get the S10 sub everyone raves about and you should have enough for the panny reciever that everyone also raves about

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have been looking for an entry level setup myself, although my budget is $1,000-$1,200 give or take.

What I have learned is that if your room isn't huge you could easily have a decent 5.1 system for your $800.

Paradigm Cinema 70CT package includes all of the 5.1 speakers including 8" sub for around $500 if my memory is correct.

A pioneer VSX-815 (which has been pretty favorably reviewed from what I have gathered) is around $240-$250 online.

Or consider the Panasonic XR55 for around the same price. This unit is getting many good reviews here and elsewhere.

I listened to the Paradigms and they sounded pretty big for their small size.

Mike

Just re-read your post and saw your room size. The Paradigms would rock a room that size. If you have a chance to listen to them locally, I recommend it.

Now if I could find someone who has heard them together with the Pioneer VSX-815 or Panasonic XR55, which admittedly I haven't...

·
Registered
967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverMike
Paradigm Cinema 70CT package includes all of the 5.1 speakers including 8" sub for around $500 if my memory is correct.

A pioneer VSX-815 (which has been pretty favorably reviewed from what I have gathered) is around $240-$250 online.

Or consider the Panasonic XR55 for around the same price. This unit is getting many good reviews here and elsewhere.

I listened to the Paradigms and they sounded pretty big for their small size.

Mike

Just re-read your post and saw your room size. The Paradigms would rock a room that size. If you have a chance to listen to them locally, I recommend it.
Make SURE you listen to both music and movies if you check out the Paradigm Cinema Series. I have pretty high standards (that usually outpace my budget) but I personally found the 70s unlistenable on any material. The 90s were somewhat better for movies but still pretty awful for music. Not to say they won't sound lots better than your TV speakers, but in my opinion they're not worth the price. I think you'd be better served putting that money towards something better. The new SVS bookshelf speakers, for example, would KILL those Paradigms.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by einsteinjb
I think you'd be better served putting that money towards something better. The new SVS bookshelf speakers, for example, would KILL those Paradigms.

Budget for complete system including receiver= $700-$800

Cinema 70CT 5.1 system = $499

compared to:

SVS SBS-01 5.1 system = $899

Apples are red (or green)

Oranges are orange, but definitely not red or green

two other options below the SVS's $899 price are:

Cinema 90CT = $649

Cinema 110CT= $799

I am not saying that the Paradigm's will sound good, better or worse than the SBS-01, but that the original budget was said to be $799-$800 for the entire system, and the Paradigm fits the bill. Especially for a 12x15 room.

In case someone wonders, I am not here to pimp for Paradigm, I just had similar budgetary constraints to the original poster. In addition, I am limited in speaker size due to marital considerations...

If there are better alternatives that are similar in cost, and importantly size then I would love to hear them.

I would like as many choices as possible before I purchase.

I know that many Orb suggestions will be given, but our decor is very traditional and the wife vetoed the Orb design.

So, everyone feel free to add your opinions, I haven't purchased the Paradigms yet, and could be swayed if I have a chance to audition what is suggested.

I hope this isn't taken as high-jacking the thread. I believe that my needs and those given in the original post are pretty similar.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by einsteinjb
The new SVS bookshelf speakers, for example, would KILL those Paradigms.

Just curious. Have you heard the new system yet? It says that shipping doesn't begin until late December.

I'd like to give them a listen if they are available. They do look pretty interesting, but they are too large for my needs.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Hey DiverMike,

I hope you didn't take my post as being argumentative or insulting. It wasn't meant that way. I know the SVSs don't really fit in the OP's budget (or yours for that matter). But as I have in fact heard the Cinema 70s and 90s (in a much smaller room than 12x15; might have been 10-12' square at most with no openings) and really felt they were a waste of money, I felt compelled to give my opinion. If they cost say, $300 for the whole set of 90s, maybe that might have made sense to me, but not for $649. My room is 14 x 12.5 x 8 and I know I couldn't live with the Cinemas in here. The OP didn't mention size constraints for the speakers themselves and did say the system will be moving to a larger room at some point; all the more reason to disrecommend the Paradigms.

I have not yet heard the SBS-01s, though I've pre-ordered a pair because I'm extremely confident they're going to be amazing. Only a very few people have had the chance to actually hear them so far. I have a PB10-ISD, my best friend has a PB12 Ultra/2, and I've had enough experience with and conversations with Ron, Tom, and Erik from SVS that I know what kind of people they are and what kind of products they produce. Plus if you take the time to read over all the info on their web site about the new speakers, you'll see that they mean BUSINESS. These guys do not mess around; they're all about QUALITY at incredibly low prices. Not to sound like I work for the company, I do not (though it would be a really fun job I'm sure). It's just that I find it really exciting when I find a rare company like them that bends over backwards to make their customers happy, that makes really great products, and their prices are so low. I feel the same way about Hsu and Ascend Research too, and I've read lots of similar feelings about Axiom from others. I've just had more personal experience with SVS than those other companies and well, I'm kinda a fan. :p

My main point really was that if you're only doing a stereo setup (as in the "good ol' days"), you can get a nice setup for a reasonable amount of money because you only need a receiver or other pre-amp/poweramp combination plus 2 speakers (and of course a source, CD or DVD or whatever). You can do a lot with $800 in this situation.

But if you're building a HT setup, now you're talking about a lot more gear. You need at least 5 speakers, sub, plus receiver capable of handling the processing and powering all those channels. Therefore, you can't expect to get the same quality for

That's why I suggested it might make more sense to think about stretching the budget. If that's not an option right now, why not consider starting with a quality 2.0 or 2.1 setup and adding over time? You're going to listen to this stuff for years (if you do it right), so why not take the time to get something you'll really enjoy for years to come. I've only just recently finished putting together a full 5.1 system, since my budget never allowed me to do it right before, and I'm still not really finished with it (I'm upgrading my speakers soon).

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful to you. It sounds like between the budget and the wife limitations, you're going to have an interesting job finding what you want. Good luck!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I am surprised that everyone here is ignoreing the obvious. Sherwood recievers!!! The RD7500 is on sale now at Circuit City for around $130. This is more than enough amp for an 12X15 room. Team it up with a Dayton 12 inch sub for $130 +/- and you have $540 for speakers. This assumes that one has a Cd/Dvd player already.

I have the Sherwood RD-6108 reciever with a Sony 12"sub. Pared with KLH BTF 220 Front L/R, that along with the KLH CTR 200 when pared with a Pioneer 578 A gives an awesome system for much less than $800.

This system plays very well untill the amp is pushed to very high levels. Then it runs out of headroom. The center has to be bumped up a tad to match the Ft L/R, but overall a good system. I have another pair of BTF 220's to integrate. as well as a pair of KLH 9250 floor standers yet to install.

Cost over the past few years. Components bought on sale.

RD-6108- $100

BTF 200- $19 x 2. Don't laugh. Got four of them on sale. Price too good to pass up. They have 6 1/2" woofers. Good base.

Sony SAWM500- $125 Normally sells for around $200

Pioneer 578A- $125 Recommend Pioneer 588A now as the newer model.

While I realise this system will not satisfy those with golden ears, it meets my modest neets quite well. I even played WOTW the other day, and it was awesome. LOTR rocks the house with base. Music is very good. Quite good untill the amp is really pushed. By that time, you are approaching levels where hearing damage would occure with prolonged listening.

So folks don't laugh at what can be done with much less than $800. And, no it is not HTIB. It will blow must HTIB systems in the dust.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMM03
I want to stay around $700-$800 for everything (reciever, sub, speakers).

The room it is going in is approximately 12X15, but will eventually end up in a slightly larger room.

It will be used for 80% TV/DVD, 20% Music.

How would you spend my $7-800?
I'm in the same boat, almost, except I know I will go over the 800. But whatever you do, from what I have learned, if you are going to skimp on a receiver or a speaker, skimp on the receiver NOT the speakers. The speaker changeout will be less often than the receiver. IMHO.

I'd spend as much as I could on speakers to the point of not even getting a receiver, yet. Now you know why I'd end up over the $800 :)

There will probably be a lot of open boxes after Christmas too. I'd look there. Almost everything I own is open box.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverMike
einsteinjb,

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I was offended. I guess I'm just jealous because I can't get the SVS's myself.

:p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.