1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I haven't owned an Onkyo TX-SR607 but I definitely think it would be a good choice for you. I think all the receivers in that price range regardless of the maker will give you very similar performance and connectivity.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
If you're only prerequisites are that you'll be hooking up a 5.1 system (with an SVS sub) and a PS3 then it's alittle too vague for people to really recommend you anything. You're totally on the right track I'd say. You don't need to spend that much money though. Here's a quick tip. The PS3 decodes the HD codecs from the movies you watch and it sends it to your receiver via HDMI as LPCM. Your receiver then does no converting, it just basically passes the audio through to your speakers. In other words, you don't need to buy a receiver that has onboard decoding of HD codecs. You can buy a discontinued model like the Onkyo TX-SR605 for probably half the price and still have your Audyssey suite and still get HD audio and video from your bluray (PS3).

Those speakers do take a bit of power to run but assuming you cross them over at 80hz and let that SVS sub do what it does best....your speakers won't be drawing as much power as if you used them full range.

The power in any of these low to mid range receivers is very similar so it doesn't really matter which you choose in that respect. Perhaps getting one with pre-outs to add an amp down the road would be wise....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.