Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I am new to the forum, an want to say hello to everyone. I was just wondering which reciver to match up with my system. I am going 7.1 set up with paradigm monitor 7 all the way around, with cc-307 and servo 15. My room is 30x22x8. I am going tomorrow to the dealer to demo recivers. He got NAD, Rotel, Yamaha and just got the Denon line in. I'm planning to demo Yamaha 2300, 3300, Denon avr 3803, Nad t762. I would like to add that if I choose NAD Im planning on going with the t772 when it comes out this summer according to NAD. I am using the system 50/50 (movies/music). So I would like a reciver which is strong in both areas. Im planning to spend $3700 Canadian. I am evntually going to move up to seprates. No one sells Marantz where I live. I can also get my hads on Harman Kardon. I tried the Pioneer Elite vsx-43tx it was excellent with movies but lacked the music part. I listend to them with a pair of energy c-9. Can you add the good and bad of the recivers I mentioned above.

Thanks GOLDEN-EAGLE!

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
For the price ranges you are looking at, give the 45tx a listen. It retails in the same area as the Denon 3803 and others. I've been very satisfied so far with mine for both music and movies. Like you, I do about 50/50 between the two. Not too mention the fact that the MCACC feature is a beautiful piece of technology at work. Best of luck!!!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Add the 45tx to the demo list. I purchased the 3803 for the strong feature set, ability to handle a 4 ohm load (now the 45tx can), and great processing ability. The 3803 has tons of inputs and outputs. The 3803 has video upconversion and 100mhz component switching which makes it the best choice of the bunch for handling video switching.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello

Thanks for the replies. I am going to take a listen to the pioneer, but the only thing is that that dealer doesn't carry the paradigms. Should I just listen to them with the Energys because they are very close to the paradigms IMO. Also what do you guys think of the elite dvd players (dv-47ai and dv-45a).

Thanks GOLDEN-EAGLE!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Hi Golden,

You might want to checkout the canadianhifi.com site, ithink they still have a Denon 5800 that their advertising for $2800 but will take $2500.00. then either take it as is or try and get the upgrade to 03 audio status for $1300.

Thats what i got and love it. At 170w and 2 sets analogue ins your set for 10years at least. I run 9 speakers 4 are 4ohm and have power to burn.

Check out some professinal reviews the Google route you'll see.

Peter m.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I run the 45tx with monitor 7s, lcr350, and adp350s. I love the combination. I had the 3802 in house and A/B'd it against the 45tx. both were very nice units, but I chose the 45tx. Your results may be different.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I know this has been said a thousand times before, but as a Rotel owner and dealer, I must reccomend the Rotel 1066 Pre-Pro and the 1075 Amp.

You will not find any receiver that is as musically satisfying as this combo. It doesn't have seven channels of amplification, but so what, you can always go buy a used 2 channel amp for the 6th and 7th channels for practically nothing.

For 3700$ Canadian you can afford it, especially since the exchange rate is shrinking!

Barry

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello

Thanks for the reply. I decided on my system and decided to go with the 1066 except with the anthem pva 7. I am matching them with studio 40s all the way round, studio-cc, and servo-15(7.1 setup). I would like to ask a question Barry Lieberman. I know the rotel is software upgradeable, but can it also upgraded hardware? I know the anthem avm 20 is but will cost me an extra 2000 for my system. I would like to pay once and only once.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks GOLDEN-EAGLE!

·
Registered
95 Posts
G.E. -

The Rotel's hardware can be upgraded, as well as the firmware. For example, the early iterations of many Rotel products did not support HD component switching, and Rotel required us to send back all units that needed to be updated.

The other nice thing about Rotel is that frequently their dealers will support a trade up policy, so if you want to upgrade to the new 1098 processor you will most likey be able to apply 75%-100% of the purchase price of the 1066 towards a better product within a year or even two.

I think that the value associated with the Anthem AVM 20 is fantastic, however it is a little pricey. It also has a lot of features that may prove to be unneccessary to you. I used to be an Anthem dealer, except a personal problem with the rep caused us to switch to Lexicon. Just business.

Anyway to conclude, Rotel is a very value oriented company. They may be assembled in China, but the parts they use are from all over the world. They do offer upgradability, they have a good dealer network. Additionally they are going in the right direction, the 1098 features an LCD screen and a modular card-cage topology (reminiscent of other quality companies like ATI and Levinson).

I may be a dealer, but I'm a dealer for a lot of products and at this price ponit I can enthusiastically recommend Rotel.

Now if you don't mind I'm going to listen to Beck's new HDCD "Sea Change" on my rotel RSX-1065 (which incidentally is the same as the 1066/1075 combo with 20 watts per channel fewer due to the shared power supply).

Barry

·
Registered
137 Posts
Barry,

do you know if there is a later firmware for the 1065 beyond 2.2.2 (12/9/02)? I am waiting for confirmation from Equity Audio to get back to me, but, if you know, please share...:)

Frances

·
Registered
95 Posts
Frances-

The two decimal notation for firmware is not generally the one that is referred to. If you press the menu button on your remote to go into the on-screen menu you will see the version in the lower right corner. The original release was 1.2, and the current version is 1.55

Barry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.